Which year is the best to buy a Dyna Wide Glide

Started by JAFHR, May 26, 2015, 06:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAFHR

Due to the variances in engine specs etc. what would be the best year for the Dyna Wide Glide. I'm looking to buy a used bike but don't know whether to buy a 2000 carb, a 2003/5 or a 2010. Can anyone explain the differences in the years with the bike.

Thx
2011 Road Glide CVO 110 with Woods 777 cams, Power commander 4, Rhinehart 4"

ThumperDeuce

If your not going to split the cases to do some mods, I think 2002 was the last year for the factory Timken bearing and it had a stronger wheel set.  If you are going to split the cases you can do whatever you want to just about any year and improve it.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

rageglide

That 2k bike you mentioned in Evo section sounds like a winner.  As ThumperDeuce says timken bottom end prior to 2003.  2005 is the first year for the metric valves (7mm) and the valve seal change, but they didn't all have issues, only some.  There was a dealer technote about the proper install of the new seal.  Not a big deal.  Cranks are a bigger issue by a mile IMO.  I owned 2005 RG never burned oil even when stock. The crank was a wobbler from the get go though.

If you're tall, the older FXDWGs are a better fit.  Newer WGs are too low...  Personaly I'd pick up a mid 90's DWG.

mtrhead269

boooby1744

The 2006 & up are heavier and i think they look jappy. Who is the moron who decided passenger pegs be bolted to the swingarm??

dakota224

JAFHR

I was wondering about the Timken Bearing issue. I had done all of that on my 05 Road King along with a 95 kit which of course nullified any issues. MTRhead269, I'm looking at a WG primarily as a second bike for local poker runs etc. I've got my big bike for the longer runs. My first choice is an 09+ Street glide, but the funds are just not there. I figured I can pick up a low mileage WB for reasonable bucks. Not to mention the bike looks and rides pretty well. I've already decided to pass on the Indian Scout.

What else is there?

bigfoot5x

May 27, 2015, 03:55:19 PM #7 Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:59:09 PM by bigfoot5x
To me the WideGlide is supposed to have the mini apehangers, I would not have one of the newer ones. As for the older ones, I had a 2006 and I would stay away from that. That was the first year for the 6 speed tranny but it came with only 88" engine. It could not pull 6th as good as the next year when the 96" engines came out. If you don't mind or plan to do a 95" engine then the 06 would be fine. I think they changed the front forks to the wider diameter design in 2004 and I like the look of the larger forks over the older, smaller ones. My opinions are based on my  2000 SuperGlide, 06 WideGlide, my wife's 07 LowRider and her 2011 SuperGlide Custom.

Now I will give you the same advice I give everyone that asks your type of question. All of them are pretty reliable and a good machine if left reasonably close to stock so buy the one with the color you like. I don't know if you will find a WideGlide a lot cheaper than a StreetGlide. The WG is the top of the Dyna model line and new ones are not too far off a StreetGlide price.

mtrhead269

Quote from: JAFHR on May 27, 2015, 06:59:13 AM
I was wondering about the Timken Bearing issue. I had done all of that on my 05 Road King along with a 95 kit which of course nullified any issues. MTRhead269, I'm looking at a WG primarily as a second bike for local poker runs etc. I've got my big bike for the longer runs. My first choice is an 09+ Street glide, but the funds are just not there. I figured I can pick up a low mileage WB for reasonable bucks. Not to mention the bike looks and rides pretty well. I've already decided to pass on the Indian Scout.

What else is there?

My choice would be a FXD with vs the WG the WG handles like "Potty mouth", find an older Super glide take care of the front and rear suspension for your body size bike will handle great and compared to a bagger they feel like half the weight. I've had all the different versions of the Dyna's WG is the least favorite of mine. Should be able to find an 01-03 for 5k

Flhfxd

Love the WideGlides all the way from 1980 up until they got rid of the fat bob rear fender. Presently have an '06 and it works quite well. No issues to date. Love that 6 spd tranny. Mine is stock except for pipes and breather. A great run around bike. I have a dresser too. So if I wanna run around I take the Dyna and if I wanna run away I take the dresser.  Can't go wrong with 2 bikes.   :up:
Cheers Flhfxd
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

shobby dobby

Here a picture of my 99 I bought it new got 61,000 on it no problems  at 30,000 done big bore kit cams and new carb  runs great I also have a road king that I ride

JAFHR

bigfoot5x, I'm buying used, not new. I'm buying a 2005 WG VS 2009+ Street Glide so there is a definite cost difference.
MTRhead269 I'm partial to the WG just because of the WG forks. I love the looks of the bike and the 21 inch front wheel
FLHFXD has the idea

I had forgotten about the 5spd on the 05 vs 6spd on the 06 up. Not sure if I'll need the 6th gear, but I know on my RG it is nice.

dynablack07

sure love my 07 fxdwg, corners well, solid as a rock.. love the long wheelbase, wide forks. added a fatbob headlight.
2007 103 FXDWG, SEPST, RS 577, 1.9/1.6 heads, crank/timken, S&S lifters, Cannons

JAFHR

Ok, one last question (I promise) 2005 bike is an 88ci with a 5 spd. The 2007 is a 96 ci with a 6spd. tranny. Is there a difference in the frame, forks (wider, longer) between the bikes. If you were to build the engine up a bit, which bike is best for it. I know the 07 has had many issues with the crank. Does the 05 have a different crank. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these bikes, just don't want to make a mistake and have to look for something else.  :scratch:

Many thanks

BUBBIE

Yes the cranks are different in the 05 and yes, the 07 has a crank issue...

BUT for me, the 6 speed and some of the changes to motor (hydraulic cam chain instead of shoes A +)

BUT the motor on 05 can get changed to the same as 07 on that if you want to spend the money...

That 07 you are looking at.... I'd rather have it... BUT I'd make sure there was NO Serious Vibration in the motor at Running RPM... You can usually tell IF the crank is out from the ride... (feel it in the feet and handlebars)

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

JAFHR

Did they change anything in the frame, with respect to length, rake or ? If you were to build both engines, one to a 95 and the other to a 103, is there much of difference, or is the 103ci a much better set up.

BUBBIE

May 28, 2015, 08:10:51 AM #16 Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:05:45 AM by BUBBIE
Know nothing about the frame. (MAX Might know?)

IF me, I would want the 3/8 inch longer stroker motor which is the 07 bike and a 6 speed is nice. The only difference for the larger motor (88/95/then96/103) is the added 3/8" stroke in the 07...

signed....BUBBIE

added:
Yes, cubic inches on the 96" to 103" Both sizes Does make a difference from the 88" to 95" 05 bike engine.

N-gin

Quote from: boooby1744 on May 26, 2015, 08:59:34 PM
The 2006 & up are heavier and i think they look jappy. Who is the moron who decided passenger pegs be bolted to the swingarm??

Probobley the friend of the guy who put a three piece press crank in the most modified of all motor cycles.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Admiral Akbar

The frames changed in 2006. I think the main reason was to allow for a wider tire in the back. They went from a 150/80x16 to a 160/70x17.. They made the new frame heavier and the setups had a little more trail.  Nothing wrong with the old frames tho..

runamuck

I have enjoyed the 2001 that I still have. I am 6' tall and like the laid back riding position. I bought a detach windscreen and a mustang seat for it.

BUBBIE

runamuck,

:baby:

Now that is a Clean, Nice looking bike... :SM:

signed....BUBBIE

calgary56

Can't speak to how 2004's and older, or 2006's and newer perform\handle, ... I have a 2005 Dyna Wide Glide, got it new June 21st 2005, odometer currently displaying 454,700 kilometrs (282,242 miles), ... engine has been rebuilt twice, same trans, no issues (well, a neutral switch was replaced), those 5 speeds are reliable.

Took it from 88" to 95", currently running SE 204's in it with a Thunderheader, and it manages to irritate my riding buddies with their huge $$$ 110 CVO Road Glide and CVO Ultra whateverthehellitis with the big trunk behind the passenger seat, cause they thought they should be able to walk away from it when they accelerate, keep dreaming Dudes.

If you get a Dyna 'anything' or any year, and you plan on riding it hard, my recommendation it to put a set of Sputhe Engineering Dyna Stabilizer links on it, ... run you about $340.00 but best money you'll spend, .. I did the fork brace, Progressive Springs in the front tubes, Progressive Shocks on the back, all those first, but the Sputhe Stabilizer links made the MOST difference.

If you're going for looks, get whatever you want for a seat, if you're going for miles, you CAN'T beat the Harley Sundowner.

Anyway, good luck with your decision, they are a fun bike.

[attach=0]
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

JAFHR

Perfect, I'll be going to look at the 2007 on Saturday. What can I expect to be paying for an 07. This one is at $11,700 but I know there is some room in it. It has pipes, tuner, pegs and bags. 7267 miles.I will also look into Sputhe Engineering. Great advice.

Thx

mp

2006 and up are much stronger than previous Dyna frames, which used to crack the primary case because they flexed so much.  Newer frames also have much larger forks, 49mm vs 39mm.  The newer frame is much better looking to me as well.

dakota224

3 piece crank??  good luck.   I wonder why its for sale.  bad vibes??

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: mp on May 28, 2015, 09:56:17 PM
2006 and up are much stronger than previous Dyna frames, which used to crack the primary case because they flexed so much.  Newer frames also have much larger forks, 49mm vs 39mm.  The newer frame is much better looking to me as well.

Frame has nothing to do with primary cracking.. Cracking was an Evo problem with high HP motors..   WGs had 41mm tubes...

JAFHR

I'm pretty sure I'll either be changing out the crank or weld it. That or replace the motor with a 120 or ? I understand the 120R is no longer available. Is the 120 any good as a drop in, or just build the bike to a 103?

Ultrashovel

May 29, 2015, 10:47:06 AM #27 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:52:15 AM by Ultrashovel
2006 and later has hydraulic cam chain tensioners, IIRC. Also new plain bearings in cam plate, (25355-06A) IIRC. 2007 and later has 6 speed. Dyna Street Bob, Fat Bob Deluxe and Low Riders have 29 degree frame. (Faster handling than FXWG which has a 34 degree frame). Later is better since after 2007 has 96" engine....

Actually, I love them all but I adore the 6 speed transmission so there's no way I would get earlier than 2007. If you buy a 2010, 11 or 12 FXDB  (if I remember the actual years) you get an absolutely bitchin' Sparto style tail light. (69598-09A) How could you resist this? Oh yeah, some of the later FXDB's FXDWG's had an irresistible white-faced speedo......(67478-09)

All that said, you really can't got too far wrong on any of the Dynas. They are a great machine!

cherryseeg2

1995 Wide Glide. The first Harley I ever rode. Was my dad's should have bought it instead of letting him trade it in.
[smg id=1966]
2005 Cherry SEEG2-J&B Performance 120 163hp/144tq

tommy g

09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Carl 1969

Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

dynaglide

'01 Wide Glide - doesn't have to have mini-apes to look good (in my humble opinion...)

tomcat64

Quote from: JAFHR on May 29, 2015, 07:23:08 AM
I'm pretty sure I'll either be changing out the crank or weld it. That or replace the motor with a 120 or ? I understand the 120R is no longer available. Is the 120 any good as a drop in, or just build the bike to a 103?

what makes you think the 120R is no longer available,, altho there is a street legal 120ST now available.. same motor,, different cam chest,,

mp

Frame has nothing to do with primary cracking.. Cracking was an Evo problem with high HP motors..   WGs had 41mm tubes...
[/quote]

It was the frame....  Can't remember if they all did it, or if it started when they replaced the frame tubes under the seat with sheet metal to lower the seat height a little.  Torque arms were used by some to brace and strengthen the frame.  Harley eventually strengthened the interface of the engine and transmission which effectively used the stiffer powertrain to keep the frame from twisting.  As far as I know that pretty much solved the problem.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: mp on May 30, 2015, 10:14:47 AM

It was the frame....  Can't remember if they all did it, or if it started when they replaced the frame tubes under the seat with sheet metal to lower the seat height a little.  Torque arms were used by some to brace and strengthen the frame.  Harley eventually strengthened the interface of the engine and transmission which effectively used the stiffer powertrain to keep the frame from twisting.  As far as I know that pretty much solved the problem.
[/quote]

Must have been early WG.. It wasn't twin cams.. Do you know which year?

N-gin

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind