April 28, 2024, 06:52:44 AM

News:

RF amp inside fairing

Started by 06roadglide, May 30, 2015, 08:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

06roadglide

Guys. I have a good old amp from many years ago that I'm wondering if it would fit inside a 06 road glide fairing? 
I know I could take my fairing off and measure things to check but I thought I'd start here to see if anyone has done such a thing or what size dimensionally you've installed and how you did it.   Pics would be great! 

The amp I have is a Rockford Fosgate 360IIa 2 channel. It was an awesome amp in its day, heck may still be.

I'm curious if I could get it to fit along the side behind the glove box?

I'm only concerned with amping up the front speakers as the rears sound good enough.

I currently have a hog tunes amp for the fronts but it doesn't help much, if any, so that'll go away.

Front speakers will be determined later if it works out.

Thanks for any help from you audio gurus.  [emoji106]

UltraNutZ

what are the measurements of the amp itself?  I find nothing from RF on that amp model you posted above nor do I ever remember that model # in their lineup in my years as an audio guy.

The thing that you would want to pay more attention to especially with an 06 with the smaller charging system is the classification of the amp.  Class A, B, D, AB, H, etc.

Class A and AB I would stay away from on most bikes even today's models because A usually means high current draw and high heat dissipation.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

06roadglide

I'll go out and get measurements and picks and report back shortly.

06roadglide

I had model # a little wrong. It's punch 360aII

9" at widest part including elect. Connections without end caps installed. 9 1/2" from bottom to top.
2 3/8 tall at top, 2 5/8 tall at bottom.

06roadglide

It's a bit dusty from sitting so long.

06roadglide

Taking a guess.  I'd say I purchased this amp new in year 2000.

UltraNutZ

2.6" height
9.6" wide
8.7" long

that's a lot of height and I doubt will fit behind the glovebox.  the width is likely going to be an issue as well.  Then factor in that it's an AB class amp.  I think what you'll find if you do install this is when you're cranking on it you'll see your headlight and dash lights dimming as well as your volt gauge bouncing.

06roadglide

Thanks for your advise. I'm a novice at audio so that's why I asked here first. Glad I didn't open it up first to measure. Lol

UltraNutZ

if you're looking for a good 2 channel amp check out the PBR300x2.  Easy on the electrical system, plenty of power, very small footprint.  Add in a pair of Kappa 62.11i and you're into it for under $300

06roadglide

I currently have a set of 52.11 kappas installed. I also have the 5x7 adapters from hogtunes on the shelf. What do you think of the 5x7 kappas?
If I do decide to buy another amp, would you suggest then a 4 channel for my tour pack pods? Which amp then?

UltraNutZ

The Kappas are 2.7 ohm speakers and according to Infinity will work without issue on any 4 ohm amp/head unit because of the design.  Check out the High-Output Design heading here

I like ALL Kappa speakers.  They're simply hard to beat for the $.

UltraNutZ

not sure what speakers you have up front but if they're HT, then they're likely 2 ohm and they are TRUE 2 ohm so you'll need to have an amp that is stable at 2 ohm.

06roadglide

Ok.
The fronts are currently kappas    5.25 size. The rears in the pods are factory 2011 speakers. I never changed them because they simply sound decent enough when compared to the fronts. I suppose that has a lot to do with rears being enclosed vs the fronts being open inside fairing.
I have a set of 5x7 adapter rings from when I bought the amp/speaker (5x7) kit from hogtunes for the road glides when they first came out.
I'm still using that amp from that kit, which isn't much really.

So let's say I may install some 5x7 kappas in the fairing, since I already have the adapters, then use my 5.25 kappas in the rear pods.
Do you think that PBR300x4 amp would work good for that? 

UltraNutZ

it should, yes sir.

the speakers you install in the fairing, take about a 1" layer of polyfil (you can get it at walmart) and wrap each speaker.  This helps keep the low-end from being sloppy

06roadglide

Thanks so much for your advice and tips!
I was just looking at prices on that amp. Not bad price at all!!

06roadglide

I just noticed on RF website that the PBR300x4 is only capable of 4 ohm.

UltraNutZ