April 27, 2024, 01:22:27 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1974 Ironhead Sportster Shifting issues

Started by oldskool, June 01, 2015, 05:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

Its been acting funny slipping a little and also the clutch seems to get stiff and then it doesnt want to shift out of 1st gear. I changed the friction or fiber clutch discs went down the road and it worked perfect. I turned around and the clutch got stiff like it didnt want to pull in and it wouldnt shift out of 1st again. shut it off got it in nuetral started it . it went in 1st then it went in 2nd and back to nuetral. anyone have any ideas ?

Racepres

If you get it to "snick" in and out of Neutral running, sitting still...I'm betting it will slip...
Technique is everything!

oldskool

ok back on this shifting issue. I let it run warm up. Sitting still i can get into 1st and back in nuetral. did it several times. rode around the yard into 1st and 2nd back to nuetral for awhile . seemed to be fine . So I took it down the road a few miles.on the way back clutch lever froze up.wouldnt even pull in. had to down shift without using clutch. once i got in driveway the clutch lever loosend up and it works again. Has anyone had this happen.oh by the way its not draggin or slippin.not sure why the lever would fet so hard and not pull in ?Racepres?

Panzer

Just a thought............sounds like you have a worn clutch cable.
Try lubing it the best you can or with a cable lubber tool.
There have been ways of lubing throttle and clutch cables that people here on HTT tell about.
Try a search for lubing cables and see what you come up with.
Help is out there.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

oldskool

thanks Panzer. I thought of that also. I lubed it with pj1 cable lube. I pulled primary cover again and took apart the shift mechanism to check ball and ramps. I cleaned them up greased them. and still no luck. down the road it froze up again.unless its chaffed or something inside the cable housing and just at certain points it gets hung up. idk? what else would or could make the lever or mechanism not move ?

Racepres

Got me wondering hard!!!!
I would pull the Primary cover.. Then inspect the "link" between the "cam" and the Cable. Also...I would make Damn Sure that the three balls are in their separate seats...the thing sounds like a ball is Loose in there on it's own....maybe.
I would go over the Clutch adjustment...exactly like in the manual...after ya inspect and re-install the primary cover.
If you are Not Proficient at Ironhead Clutch adjustment...Drop me a Line...I think I have the Proper procedure written down...But, can't lay my "mouse" on it just now.....

oldskool

ok so I replaced the clutch release mechanism. all brand new . new releasing ramps and ballsalso new adjusting screw..I readjusted clutch. the lever wont pull in.??? Now I am wondering if the bearing in the release disc has something to do with it. I have a clymer manual. it says turn cable adjuster clockwise for excessive freeplay at lever. loosen adjusting screw locknut. turn adjusting screw clockwise until it becomes harder to turn then turn an additional 2 turns to make clutch is disengaged. turn cable adjuster counterclockwise to remove all freeplay. loosen adjusting screw then turn until seats lightly then back off 1/4 to 1/2 tighten locknut

Racepres

While I don't back off anywhere near 1/2, It sounds alright as written...if Followed exactly. [excepting the Back-off 1/4 to 1/2...I back off to get a Bit of Freeplay and call it good...
Is the throw-out bearing OK?

SP33DY

A common problem with clutch cables is a worn housing. The cable wears a groove in the housing and gets pinched, making it stick. Lube doesn't help much, it's best to change it.