April 27, 2024, 07:15:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Carburetion choice

Started by N-gin, June 08, 2015, 04:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-gin

June 08, 2015, 04:11:27 AM Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:15:56 AM by N-gin
Putting together a 80 sportster 1000, of r a friends kid. Its going to his first bike while he is going to school.
This bike has been sitting for quite a while.
The air filter is MIA. The owner took the carb to get rebuild about 7-8 years ago, and the guy said parts were not available. So he gave him a SE 46mm Keihin. The guy put it on the bike and and it ran pig rich and gouged a lot.
So now I have it to work on.
I have an option of getting a carb kit 35-0118. It has everything from 38mm carb to air filter to throttle. Would be perfect for the bike. However I do have a 42mm on the shelf, with a 165 main and looks to be a 7 on the pilot. The pilot is hard to read, no damage , I just can't make out the other number. I would have to get a air cleaner for it.
So is this bike better off with the 38mm or the 42...I'm thinking it will be better to get the 38mm, but like all get em on the road deals. Budget is everything.
What's good jetting also for these setups.

The 46mm and sscycle intake is for sale
Thanks

forgot to add. The bike is stock except drag pipes,  :down:
Different exhaust is not an option
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Racepres

Quote from: N-gin on June 08, 2015, 04:11:27 AM

forgot to add. The bike is stock except drag pipes,  :down:
Different exhaust is not an option

Can't help ya then...
BTW I been using the Original SE [andrews Flowmaster] carb since they came out...Once tuned they are very good...
Once Tuned!!!

garyajaz

well, 38 was the carb "back in the day"
I ran a 42 on mine for a bit.  but its a large engine.

stock bike?  go 38,

N-gin

What about going to a CV carb. 40mm I think it is.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

garyajaz

sure, it will work.
I just not a fan of diaphragm rubber in carbs.
also slows down the acceleration (seat of pants feel)
while the slide catches up to the engine vacum

N-gin

This is for a first time rider. So I'm cool with it.
Just talked to a guy I put an SS carb on his EVO. He said he will give me the carb and air cleaner as a freebie. So this is the way I'm going. Sure beats 300 for the Bendix kit.
I'll have to smooth the slide and adjust the jets as needed, but a little elbow grease never hurt. I'll be receiving today and mocking it up.

Brrrap

I'm diggin N-Gins quote,,,, :up:
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

N-gin

The dude with the carb, well didn't have a CV. He had a 46mm SE..
I bought on off fleebay with air cleaner and kn filter for 50.
I got it mounted and took it for a ride.
Blurps at idle through the exhaust, and pops through intake. On test ride it has decent top end but takes some throttling to get it there.
42 pilot 155 main needle in the middle stock needle and e tube.
I'm going to try a 48 pilot 165 main. I hear these Ironhead engines like fuel on the draw on the carb is low.

Racepres

Quote from: N-gin on July 14, 2015, 08:32:50 AM
The dude with the carb, well didn't have a CV. He had a 46mm SE..
I bought on off fleebay with air cleaner and kn filter for 50.
I got it mounted and took it for a ride.
Blurps at idle through the exhaust, and pops through intake. On test ride it has decent top end but takes some throttling to get it there.
42 pilot 155 main needle in the middle stock needle and e tube.
I'm going to try a 48 pilot 165 main. I hear these Ironhead engines like fuel on the draw on the carb is low.

Love those Drag Pipes....works great huh???

N-gin

Terrible hate those POS! Pipes.
Sound like crap, except at idle.

Racepres

Quote from: N-gin on July 14, 2015, 01:50:21 PM
Terrible hate those POS! Pipes.
Sound like crap, except at idle.

And to my ear they sound crappy at idle....if you can get the thing to Carburet... they sound awesome going thru the gears

ricochet

Back in 73 I installed drag pipes went to dealer and told them to tune it for the pipes.  Don't really know what they did but the mechanic did tell me to wait until I had like 3000 on the odometer then go ahead and run it to red line at that point.  Being 16 and not giving a rat's ass about the consequences I did just that.  Could not believe the "other world" effect it felt like running like a scalded ape all the time.  And like my Timex it took a licking and just kept on ticking. 

Wonder where that freakin Timex is anyhow.  Bike is gone forever now.  Guy who bought it from me totalled it.

ricochet

Racepres

^^ If yer gonna ride it like that always....Drags can be made to work well....They are in fact made for "Drag Racing"

Appowner

Many moons ago I put a S.U. carb on my 77 Ironhead.  Ran great.  Good gas mileage and turned that bike into a three kick starter.  Even in freezing weather.  I got the carb from Rivera Engineering.

nibroc

got an su off a 64 triumph(car) on my 68 xlch     been on there 30 years        change needles and its a horse(badass)

rider7816

Im still running the 38mm butterfly.  38 years and I ALMOST have it dialed in.... :emoGroan:

Racepres

My '77 XLCH starts in a couple kicks..one when warm..Bendix...Tuned Properly.

My youngest usually starts it in one kick. When he is Racing it..[AMRA, Not Street]