May 05, 2024, 03:00:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Base Gasket Removal

Started by buzzurd, March 28, 2009, 01:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzurd

What's the best way to remove the base gasket from the cylinder.Tried a razor blade but will be here for 2 days trying to scrape it off.It is like welded to the cylinder.
Buzzurd :wtf:

hdpegscraper

You can soften the gasket by spraying it with brake cleaner, and if you spray some in the crankcase, it will evaporate by the time you reassemble.

buzzurd

Thanks I'll give it a shot.The entire gasket stayed with the cylinder when I pulled it.I've dealt with alot of tough gaskets in my years but nothing like this.A razor blade just kinda turns it to dust trying to remove it.
Buzzurd

buzzurd

Just for future reference brake clean didn't phase that gasket nor did carb clean.1.5 hours with a exacto knife!!!!
Buzzurd

hdbikedoc

gasket remover does help but if cyclinder is painted make sure you spray into the can cap and put on with a q-tip let soak in and scrape and reapply
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

silvercab996

Use a spray gasket remover and a razor blade.

Spray liberally, let soak for a few minutes and scrape a little bit off.

Repeat as necessary, usually 6-10 times. Use several new blades as needed as they will dull quickly.

Takes as much time to remove the old gaskets as it did to disassemble the top end.

Another one of the MoCos brilliant moves!