May 02, 2024, 12:50:58 PM

News:

TIRES - What everyone should know

Started by wavlovr1, March 28, 2009, 07:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimrookie

Gunney8

Wow, some credence to this story me thinks... I had a rear tire on my 02 RK put on at a dealer. About 200 miles later I had it at a different dealer for a dyno tune. Tire seperated and the dyno dealer said it was old. I didn't believe it because it only had 200 miles on it and thought the dyno dealer just wanted to get a tire deal with the dyno tune. I was pi$$ed and had no choice than to get another tire and haven't been back to dyno dealer since.... maybe they were correct and my local dealer screwed me. I will be better vigilant in the future.... thanks for the link.

Princess Butt

Older tires, as they harden, will have more trouble getting traction in less than ideal conditions. So in the rain or snow, traction deficiencies show up big time.

Another big tire killer is underinflation. That will cause excess heat and the tread will separate.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

driller

I think I'll start asking to see those numbers and ask how old the tire is.
ride faster, grin wider, spit more bugs

marc

jd8181

i wonder if they are on motorcycle tire too. i'll have to go out and check.
2003 Night Train 95" SE Pistons, S&S Cams, Hooker's , SERT, etc....
What's Next

wavlovr1

Yea, the codes are on the cycle tires too... My 09 SG has tires made the same month as the bike was built. But I got tires online for my other bike that looked brand new, even had nice label on them, but were actually already two years old when bought as new. Most research shows tires get dangerous after only 6 years...

As the video points out, undercover buyers actually were sold tires that were as old as 14 years. that's insane...

jimbob

Rags722

f-x-d-w-g

By definition the tires ARE new since they've not been used.  I'm not arguing the deterioration due to age, just the sensationalism of the news report.  We all owe it to ourselves to check the manufacture dates on the tires we buy and, buying online carries that risk among others.

My Avon Venoms were made in Feb 07 and I usually go through 2 sets of tires per year so I have no worries.  Haven't checked the dates on my Shovel...
Dan
Tijeras, NM

BP

Great info,did not know how to determine age, ie how to decipher date code.

Thanx,  BP