May 02, 2024, 02:48:15 PM

News:

Big bore stage 2 HP question

Started by 09fltr, November 09, 2008, 08:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

09fltr

I am putting a BB kit on my new 09 Fltr, and I was wondering what kind of  HP/TQ numbers should I be able to get with SE 255 cams. I have V&H ovals for pipes, and I will be adding a race tuner also. Are these good all round cams, I want the bike to be a good runner, but also be reliable. I wanted to use Andrews 26's, but it will void my warranty if I dont use SE parts. Thanks in advance.

rigidthumper

Most of these are making 100+TQ and 80+ HP with slip-ons. Very rideable, puts the power where it's needed for heavier bikes.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

JAFHR

I was personally looking at the same build on my 08 Ultra. I was turned away with great prejiduce because of the SE 255 cams. There are a lot of guys here that will recommend other cams that will breath better and give be HP numbers yet keep the bike very reliable. The problem with the SE build is that you are spending a lot of money with very little HP gain. IMHO :pop:
2011 Road Glide CVO 110 with Woods 777 cams, Power commander 4, Rhinehart 4"

crazycalvin

softailroy

These are all very good points, and personally speaking from little experience. The BB Stage II 's I have rode have very good TQ right where you need it. However, If you really want to take it a step further, do this kit you are asking about, and get some work done on your heads, or bolt on a set, and take it to a good reliable tuner and get it on a dyno.you will be happy with your choice. Unless you want a dragster type bike, you won't need much else.Just my opinion here. javascript:void(0);
Smile

rigidthumper

IME, most folks only use the (calculated) HP as a source of bragging rights. ( I say calculated, because HP is a mathematically generated number, result of TQ*RPM/5252)  Torque is what actually does the work, and 80 MPH is just under 3 grand in high gear. How much faster do we really need to go? I'd rather see peak TQ in an RPM range that I ride in, because if you shift at 3500, and use a cam that makes more HP than the 255s do at 5000, then you're never using the power you paid for. Most baggers are near a half ton with rider, so I believe usable, low- mid is what is needed. The 255 does that very well, IMO. 15# more TQ at 2000 is a lot more help up a hill than 5 more HP is passing somebody at 80 MPH.
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

09fltr

Do you guys think the se 251 is a better cam in a bagger. I wish I could use one, from what Ive read here it would give me a little more umph, but they will only let me use the 255,s and the street legal kit with my warranty. I am just looking for the most bang for the buck. Ill just have to get the heads done later, after the warranty is up. Does anyone know a good place out west to have my heads done? Im in Salt Lake.

dakota224

03deuce

Robin works on HD motorcycles for a living, so I always put a lot of credence in his comments.  Like his reply above states, unless you like to rip it up on a bagger, running to redline often or need to outrun your buddies to the next stop, and/or brag about dyno sheets, the SE 255 is a better choice.   

Flat Dog

I run the 251s in my 08 Ultra 103", and love the torque curve. Got tired of all the warranty threats from the stealer, and told them one more and I was going to pull a refund option on my extended. All of a sudden they said they would 'work with me' on the warranty. It's a bunch of BS.

255s are just fine, and probably a bit quieter re valve train. I hammer the crap out of my bike-definitely don't ride it like a geezer glide.

09fltr

Thanks for the input guys. I think the 255,s will be just fine for now. The 96 is definitely a step up from the 88 on the 06, and I just figured I better get what I wanted on the new bike, cause I aint gettin a new one for a while. The wife has a 96 on her 07, and I was tired of gettin s**t all the time. She wants a cvo of course now that I have a new one, hehe!

wavlovr1

After asking about the 255's here, I went with the Stage II 103/255 setup so it would be covered under warrenty for seven years (added the 5 extra). The bike came in and went right to the shop where they did the upgrade and got the bike out quickly, giving me a little over a week to ride before the first snow blizzard hit.

I am very happy with the setup. Even in nasty headwinds in Wyoming, it was smooth and strong at any speed. I really like the six speed. I got the 09 Street Glide and it is really a sweet ride. I've never been a bagger guy so I can't swear to the changes made for 09, but the bike is amazing. Two up it has plenty of power and handles nicely. I think the only option I need now is an alarm buzzer that wakes me up when I hit the speed limit. It feels like I'm softly cruzin at 45 when I look down and it reads 75-80... Yikes! On my Deuce I Know when I am going fast, this thing rides more like a luxury car than a motorcycle. Can't wait for the snow to melt...

jimbob

mayor

Quote from: dakota224 on November 16, 2008, 11:11:04 AM
Deweys in Mesa Arizona. 

Dewey's in Mesa is now Heads Designed by Dewey in Tacoma
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

09fltr

Hey Jimbob, yea I like the new 09 too. I kept telling the wife that the 6 speed and the bigger motor didnt matter, but I sure do love this bike, and I dont even have the BB kit on yet. I loved my 06 RG too, though. I am totally a bagger convert now, had a 95 Heritage before. Thanks again for all your posts, you guys are awesome. I think I will call deweys, and check on getting the heads done later, after reading all your posts, sounds like it is worth the extra money.

Tony

thedriver

The 255 works well from what i've heard. i would like to try it myself in my 07 Ultra, but the 25* intake close is a concern with the 9.86 CR I've got now and the 196 CCP . Even with a great tune, bad gas can cause a problem. + are the 255 s degreed correctly at 25* to calculate CCP accurately. the SE204 i have now produces 205 CCP, should be 190 @ 9.86 CR. @600 ft. 15 lbs. is alot.  :dgust: the math does not add up. and yes it is 9.86 for sure, cam straight up. i'm not sure i trust the SE cams. no problem with andrews 31H. CCP matched CR perfect. any thoughts welcome.  thanks

Don D

I think I see a trend away from the big hp high compression baggers and more guys just want to get the bikes to have good manors and throttle response where they ride and easy starting and not ping. That is why the Blueprint heads are surfacing and becoming more popular with short cams like the SE255. I would be inclined to try an Andrews 26H with the right compression, and high lift rockers with those minor head mods. Also the Woods TW5-6 or even the Andrews 21H and end up with a little more ping resistance and a little more on top amd still huge torque in the middle.