April 27, 2024, 04:53:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

starter problem

Started by bikervikki, June 30, 2015, 09:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikervikki

:wtf:I'm having a problem with the electric start on my 77 XLCH. I have replaced the starter motor, solenoid, relay, starter drive and lever and still only get a click from the relay when I hit the button. Totally frustrated. HELP!!
Age is a state of mind and I don't ever wanna grow up!

garyajaz

toss more parts at it.
battery?

Racepres

Quote from: garyajaz on June 30, 2015, 10:03:43 AM
toss more parts at it.
battery?

:agree: Battery or connections...or Both...Or....More Parts?

carlgrover

Check your battery.

Check the battery cables. Does the negative cable look ratty? If it does, replace it. Check the connections at BOTH ends. The frame end of the negative cable could be rusty or loose. Put a star washer on it so it bites down better.

carl

xlfan

You have the starter button on the handlebar stockwise? What VAC reading do you get at the tiny wire on solenoid when activating starter button?

xlfan

guido4198

First....
Have your battery load tested by someone who knows how. I threw a bunch of parts at my FXR (pretty much the same ones as you) and didn't worry about the battery because it was new. Well, Whattya know... Turns out the new battery was bad.
If your battery tests good, my next thought is poor connection somewhere even perhaps a broken wire in the bundle that runs Along the neck.

dr evo1

this maybe crude but tells a lot. take a jumper wire and connect to pos battery post. touch it to the small post on the solenoid if it turns over you know the starter and drive parts are good. if not it might call for a look in the primary. when you hit the start button is it a click or a clunk. do you have a manual? you can pull a parts picture off google that shows how the parts go some times better than the manual. I might want to check the solenoid if it wont pull far enough to hit the posts with the big cooper washer on the inside it wont turn over, I have seen bad new ones. good luck........

Panzer

Report back your findings.  :scratch:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.