May 02, 2024, 02:25:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

carb conversion help

Started by vegaspete61, November 09, 2008, 09:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegaspete61

Hey everyone,

I'm doing a carb conversion on my 97 eglide and have hit a wall and need some help.
How do you get the internal fuel lines out of the tank to install the petcock?
I had an email from nebraskarider with his instructions but lost it in a server swap.
Everything else is installed and I'm modifying the FI wiring harness but this tank issue is killing me.

thanks,

Guns

robbiemac

vegaspete61

I've seen this site before. The Nightrain they converted is a twin cam, mine is an evo.
The fuel lines in my tank are hard copper and appear to be soldered in place. The newer tanks look to have plastic fuel lines in them.

86fxwg

Flush the tank with water,drill the pressure side out until the new kit from (JP Cycles) I think the kit comes with a plug for the return side (its been a year since i did my freinds)When you drill it only drill it big enough to get the kit to fit reach in and break the lines and wala your done.
You should not have to modifie the harnness it should come off as one big unit then run the original wire thats going to your coil.Find a switched wire for your ignition and your done peice of cake,Stay at ur gonna love it.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

vegaspete61

I've got the bung drilled out. My issue is the tall brazed in nipples in the tank. They are at least an inch tall. For the folks that have done this conversion, how did you get these tall nipples out of the tank.

86fxwg

I kept drilling bigger until i coild breakem off flush with the tank.

Dave
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

vegaspete61

That's what I was hoping for but I've drilled it up to a 9/16 bit.
That's about as big a hole as I can drill without fucking up the threads inside the bung.

I kept drilling bigger until i coild breakem off flush with the tank.

86fxwg

So did you get it drilled? Are you using the kit from jp cycles?
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

vegaspete61

I drilled it up to a 9/16 bit which is the largest I can use and not damage the threads in the bung.
I bought the conversion kit from Pingel and it fits great. I'm still working on getting the rest of the
pipe out of the tank. I'll get in there with my dremel and a cutting wheel this weekend. Thanks for all of
the help.

vegaspete61

For those interested. I finished grinding out the inside of the fuel tank. I used my Dremel with the reinforced Dremel cutting wheels. I cut out a little at a time until I had the inside pipe nipple down to about a quarter inch. That amount covers the threads on the Pingel petcock adapter. It was difficult getting my enough of my hand into the tank and still be able to hold on to the Dremel but I took my time and was patient. The tank was by far the hardest and most time consuming part of the conversion. I just finished rinsing out the inside of the tank and am waiting for it to air dry before I install it and fire up the bike. Thanks to all who helped. Especially Nebraskarider1, thanks Al.

Nebraskarider1

I did the progressive drilling also. Then after I got to about 9/16 I used a dremel with a little 3/8" metal cutoff wheel with teeth. (looks like a mini buzzsaw blade) I used it from the outside of the tank and just went round and round until I went through the nipple inside about where it tapers from big to small. It left about half an inch of the larger diameter standing inside. I left a fan on my tank overnight and also had a 5 day break before doing this and didn't have any explosion, LOL. I used a thin starter bushing in the hole where the petcock threads are to keep from hitting them with the chuck of the dremel. When finished I took a gallon of gas with me and my fuel light came on first then in 5 miles I had to switch to reserve and went 40 miles before I ran completely out. I can go 180 miles easily on a tank without going to reserve, I figured that was probably more usable fuel than I ever got from the F.I. system.