April 30, 2024, 03:52:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Custom length Brake Lines

Started by RoadGlideRob, March 29, 2009, 04:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadGlideRob

Hey,
any of you smart people know where to get custom length brake lines?   I've looked at JP Cycles but couldnt find any long enough, or at least the ones with length listed.

thanks

baldoldfxr

how about Aeroquip braided lines ?, lots of places sell the hose & fittings or some bike shops make them up for you pretty much any length, Plus you get better feel from your brakes ,Goodridge is one of thge big brand names.

76shuvlinoff

Seems like I got Russell lines from Jireh,  but this crs thing .....

What are you trying to replumb? I can't think of a place where you'd need an extreme length unless you are going direct from the rear MC to the caliper without a T for a switch.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

RoadGlideRob

I did find what I think i need in Jireh. 

The reason I'm looking for custom length is because I went to a set of Ape Hangers on the front and dont know which stock length would work.   Also figured I just run braided line from the forward control/mst cylender to the rear caliper rather than running a hard line most of the way.

CRS strikes all of us past 40

ricochet

Look for speed shops in your area and ask around.  I had some made up years ago at a hydraulic supply place but they're gone now.  You can buy all the stuff to assemble what you need from catelogs but sometimes it means more hardware pieces, hookups, etc. than you would need if you made them up with the correct bits at each end.  Midwest has their own line and there's Russell, both in the Jireh catelog.  What's nice about those offerings is the selection.  Probably made by the same manufacturor.

ricochet

76shuvlinoff

Running the coated braided Russell lines on my FLH with the single sided caliper. I have 14 "apes" on it. I can measure up the line if you want.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

RoadGlideRob

that'd be great if its not too much trouble.  I think mine are 11"

76shuvlinoff

March 30, 2009, 04:54:11 PM #7 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:05:11 PM by 76shuvlinoff
RGB
From the 2008 Jireh catalog, the braided line from my front mc is 50" part #  49-301 page 4/89 actually it's a bit longer, like 51.  I'm not sure if they include the ends in the finished length or not.

Take a look catalog page 4/90 and you can see the all the adapters from #3 to 1/8" pipe. I used them on both master cyls and calipers plus the T for the rear switch.  For instance part # 21-231 from rear mc to hose.  You can bend some of them a touch if needed.

I am running a GMA system and have part # 21-229 coming out of the mc to 50ish" of hose to part # 21-223 fitting on the caliper. Your fittings may vary depending on the make and model of caliper. Run a similar sized rope where you want it to lay, measure it and order from there.

Note:  you can also order the Russell braided stainless line in black.   Hope this helps and doesn't muck things up

Good luck
    Mark

edit to add: If you're dealing with Jireh make it by phone, it's the only way to (maybe) know if they actually have the parts in stock.  :angry:

- Ernest Hemingway

RoadGlideRob

76, You Da man. :beer:

I've been looking at those pages in Jireh but wasnt sure it thats what I needed and you confirmed. 

Thanks so much.

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway