May 08, 2024, 11:43:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

124 Sidewinder 135 hp which clutch?

Started by anubisss, July 11, 2015, 07:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anubisss

I have the S/E race clutch and if I adjust it soft enough to ride daily without killing my arm or to ride a 300 mile day it slips real bad around 3500 RPM.  To hell with this clutch I ride the bike nearly every day.  I am thinking Bandit Sportsman (recommended by soft02) or the Rivera Pro with variable pressure plate.  I like to get on the throttle and take it up to at least 4500 RPM's on a daily basis.  The other option sis the Barnett Scorpion and all 3 are very close in price.  I had a barnett in another bike but it was nowhere near the power of this bike.  Will it hold up to 135 HP?  What would you recommend and why?  Must fit in stock primary cover, as I do not want to space out my derby cover.

I need easy lever pull for daily riding and no slippage when getting on it. 

Thanks

Drew

anubisss

Here is a pic for those who wonder what the bike looks like. 

dynamagic

I know a fella with a  Rivera Pro in his 120R, he rides it real hard and loves the clutch ... definitely no issues their.
I have a Scorpion on my 114 S&S ... so either way your looking at clutches that work well.
Eventually, I will go with the Rivera Pro clutch with my next upgrade, based on research & feed back.

You can always upgrade your clutch action with an ezy pull system.
Similar to this .... http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/burly-easyboy-lite-clutch-for-harley-big-twin-2000-2015

Azgunner

Not an EVO, but I'm using a Bandit Sportsman in my 124" TC. Using grey springs & 3 or 4 shims, can't remember which, no felt slippage & fairly easy lever pull. Great lookin' FXR you got there, built to ride like you mean it too!
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Just Nick

Bandit sportsman also on my 124 twin cam and no issues no slipong at all

I have also install a few bandits on 111 evos with no slipping either
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

rigidthumper

Bandit all the way- easy pull in day to day traffic and holds well.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

mattdrag

S&S makes a nice clutch also lots of surface area.  I personaly like coil spring clutch feel better than dia spring . g

anubisss

Thanks for teh feedback so far.  Pricewise they are all very similar.  A buddy has the primo in his 120 HP bike but is firmer than I want.  Gotta open it up and look at the clutch basket to see what variety I need and then I'll pick one. 

Yes, this bike is all business.  Built by someone else it fell into my lap for a great price.  Must have done something right somewhere in life to own this bike.  Handles like a true sportbike.  No wiggles, wobbles, or anything else.  I've had it up to about 115 on some nice sweeping canyons and man, it scares me as it still has a lot more juice and gives no signs of they typical Harley issues at that speed.   My buddy bought a VROD muscle and thought he could take me but he had to think again.  That VROD is a long low tank and handles for "Potty mouth". 

I'm gonna slap a chain on it too.  Any suggestions for gearing?  I am certain i will snap the belt with a softer clutch as I will be able to launch a lot quicker.  With the S/E race clutch the lever is so stiff that you have to let it out kind slow or it peels out.  Baker recommended a 23 51 for teh gearing as I have the OD6 in there. 

Thanks for any and all suggestions. 

Drew

Mark222

Using the Barnett Scorpion with my S&S 111 in my Evo bagger

No issues and easy to set, and use daily, normally.

Mark

Soft 02

Love my Bandit! Lever pull like my stock clutch with the SE plate. All gray springs no shims.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

prodrag1320

ncpowell

Rivera Pro is great for me.  Check out Captains of Crush hand grippers...may help some too.

deathwish

I have 3 of these 124 beast. They all have a Harley clutch basket and disc but each has the 6 spring Barnett pressure plate. the one with the most miles has 66,000 on the original plates and will start to only slip a tad if you make about 6 drag runs in a short period. Once it cools it is fine again.

smokein

I had a scorpion on my 124" and I would never do it again. Should have gotten the sportsman from the start.

whetsel.m

Quote from: smokein on July 20, 2015, 11:06:06 AM
I had a scorpion on my 124" and I would never do it again. Should have gotten the sportsman from the start.

Why?

Unbalanced

I have the Scorpion and it works great with my build.

I too wonder why ?   

jsachs1

Scorpion twin cam style, on later Evos, and most aftermarket heavy hitters is my clutch of choice.  :up:
John

Classic Beast

I had the rivera Pro behind my 127 but it just didn't seem up to the task, power on shifts it would slip, I put in the S&S clutch, which is the best clutch I have ever used easy pull, never slips and never drags you can pull in the clutch at a light wait for a bit and it won't even clunk going into gear. This is on a 1995 softail. I wish they made one that would fit my 2012.

Soft 02

That's how my 07 is with the Bandit. No clunk ever!
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA