May 06, 2024, 12:48:01 AM

News:

interesting read

Started by remmag, July 12, 2015, 07:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2006FXDCI

Thanks Gordon ! I see your set screws are on the bottom side of the support . So you line up the cutout in the shaft then tighten the set screw then install the support to the head correct ? What do you think about maching an oversize bolt shank to take up the play in the support shaft ?
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

gordonr

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 13, 2015, 08:23:45 AM
Thanks Gordon ! I see your set screws are on the bottom side of the support . So you line up the cutout in the shaft then tighten the set screw then install the support to the head correct ? What do you think about maching an oversize bolt shank to take up the play in the support shaft ?

Trying to remember, I thought I couldn't locate a bolt that i could machine to fit the bill.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

hrdtail78

Quote from: gordonr on July 12, 2015, 12:25:19 PM
Quote from: remmag on July 12, 2015, 12:08:27 PM
Gordon r
If I am looking correct at the pics you put an insert on each end of the shaft,am I correct
Also I would assume you were chasing rocker noose

What kind of noise reduction did you get

If it worked I would imagine you ###t your pants with all the flustration chasing noises in these things

Great work

I was in pursuit of the quietest valve train and had some galling up there to. I'm also known for a little excessive spring pressure now and again. I'm surprised Ray didn't say anything about the hardend spacer that was still stuck on the rocker support.

How are you addressing the oring seal for the breather hole?  I haven't figured a way to do this and usually shim entire box.
Semper Fi

No Cents

Bubbie...no I have never shimmed under any of my rocker supports to date.
Jason...I would think a thicker diameter o-ring would be the solution for the breather hole if the supports used shims.  :nix:

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

gordonr

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 13, 2015, 08:57:32 AM
Quote from: gordonr on July 12, 2015, 12:25:19 PM
Quote from: remmag on July 12, 2015, 12:08:27 PM
Gordon r
If I am looking correct at the pics you put an insert on each end of the shaft,am I correct
Also I would assume you were chasing rocker noose

What kind of noise reduction did you get

If it worked I would imagine you ###t your pants with all the flustration chasing noises in these things

Great work

I was in pursuit of the quietest valve train and had some galling up there to. I'm also known for a little excessive spring pressure now and again. I'm surprised Ray didn't say anything about the hardend spacer that was still stuck on the rocker support.

How are you addressing the oring seal for the breather hole?  I haven't figured a way to do this and usually shim entire box.

I selected an appropriate oring from my a/c inventory in my shop. I will try to ref any old notes I have.

mike jesse

July 13, 2015, 10:26:26 AM #30 Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:39:53 AM by mike jesse
Machine the side of the support that has the shaft cut out for a bushing. Make the bushing the same diameter as the shaft cut out and you are done.

I will be doing this on mine very soon. Simple fix.

After thinking about it for a while I'm going to just turn the shaft 90* and machine a crescent shape the same diameter as the hold down bolt into the shaft.

This will captivate the shaft and NOT allow any for and aft movement. No set screws needed. This could turn out to be  a HUGE reduction in valve train noise I have

been chasing forever!!!!!

gordonr

Quote from: mike jesse on July 13, 2015, 10:26:26 AM
Machine the side of the support that has the shaft cut out for a bushing. Make the bushing the same diameter as the shaft cut out and you are done.

Good Idea :idea:

2006FXDCI

Mike , can you post a pic of what your talking about as far as machining the support and making a bushing ? I'm having a hard time visualizing what your talking about

mike jesse

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 13, 2015, 10:45:59 AM
Mike , can you post a pic of what your talking about as far as machining the support and making a bushing ? I'm having a hard time visualizing what your talking about
Read the addition to post #30. This totally makes sense.

Both of my bikes have fairly quite valve train when first started. Once they are warmed up, that aluminum support thru hole for the shaft has grown to allow this movement to occur.

Man, this is so simple to fix!!!!!!!! :banghead:

2006FXDCI

Ok , so turn the shaft 90* from the original cutout then use a 5/16" end mill to make a new cutout that is tight to the bolt ?

FBobPilot

Man if this works, somebody needs to go into production!
2012 Fat Bob 107"

mike jesse

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 13, 2015, 11:08:26 AM
Ok , so turn the shaft 90* from the original cutout then use a 5/16" end mill to make a new cutout that is tight to the bolt ?

Yes Sir.

2006FXDCI

Thanks Mike . Would it be better to flip the shaft end for end and make the cut on the end of the shaft that doesnt have the factory cutout ? Just thinking making 2 cuts on the same end of the shaft will make it weak .

mike jesse

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 13, 2015, 11:57:16 AM
Thanks Mike . Would it be better to flip the shaft end for end and make the cut on the end of the shaft that doesnt have the factory cutout ? Just thinking making 2 cuts on the same end of the shaft will make it weak .

You could. I have to disassemble a bike to get at these as I have no spares, otherwise I'd do it today.
Take a look at the bolt shanks and tell me if they have the marks on them from the shafts rocking B/F.
To me that's the clue that this is going on.

2006FXDCI

I had to replace my bolts about 5000 miles ago . Id guess 10% of the bolt shank was worn off . I was blown away by how much was missing !

mike jesse

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 13, 2015, 12:36:14 PM
I had to replace my bolts about 5000 miles ago . Id guess 10% of the bolt shank was worn off . I was blown away by how much was missing !

This WILL work. Get after it!

Doesn't matter how a person goes about captivating the shaft. Drill/tap, drill/pin, make bushings, or machine the existing shaft. Do it.

Thumper Buttercup

July 13, 2015, 02:52:00 PM #41 Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:55:46 PM by Thumper Buttercup
One thing to worry about is bolt to head alignment, you don't want to side pressure
the bolt going into the head and mess up the head.

I bolted up the rocker arm support with the rocker arm shafts in place and took it up
to my machinist, his suggestion is to go with loctite 680 and just get it on the ends
and not the bolt and that this would fix it.

It will take some heat to remove the shaft but he said that should not be any problem
with this, just don't get it on the bolt shaft or threads.

This is the route we are going.
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

Don D

After thinking about it for a while I'm going to just turn the shaft 90* and machine a crescent shape the same diameter as the hold down bolt into the shaft.

This will captivate the shaft and NOT allow any for and aft movement. No set screws needed. This could turn out to be  a HUGE reduction in valve train noise I have

been chasing forever!!!!!
I like that!

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: gordonr on July 13, 2015, 10:33:22 AM

Good Idea :idea:

Third that..  :up:

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: mike jesse on July 13, 2015, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 13, 2015, 11:08:26 AM

Yes Sir.

Why not go 180?

PoorUB

July 13, 2015, 03:12:32 PM #45 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 06:43:02 AM by PoorUB
Hate to be negative, but with the slop in the cam support bolt holes, plus manufacturing tolerances between the head, lower rocker cover and shaft supports I don't see this working.

To clarify, making a shaft cut out tight to the bolt. The bolt holes are way over size in the support plate.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

How much pressure is needed to hold the shaft in place? Could one simply stake the bore on one end to prevent movement?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

1FSTRK

When assembled with the rocker support and end of the shaft clean and dry the bolt will squeeze the rocker support enough to hold the shaft from turning. I have seen some people tight the bolt to a little higher torque on performance builds and have been show some motors that people did not torque properly that had the supports so squished that the shaft had to be driven out with authority and the hole reamed to repair them.

I wonder if some of this comes from lifters that do not supply enough oil to the upper end, you should not have enough friction between the shaft and oiled bushings to over come the clamping load of the support bolt on a clean dry shaft.

Just my thoughts and I have not ever had a rocker bolt with marks on it from the shaft moving against it.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

harley_cruiser

I am going with shims between the bolts and hole. I fabed up a set on my bench everything lines up perfect.
I special ordered some brass to make them out of, should be here Friday. I'm going for a press fit in the hole, bolt a little loose, use the bolt to pull them in.
This way you don't have to take the rockers off.
Will let you know how it works.