May 08, 2024, 10:07:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

interesting read

Started by remmag, July 12, 2015, 07:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordonr

"If was easy everyone would do it"

1FSTRK

If you want to test the clamping principle of the stock HD rocker support just take the rocker shaft out and torque the bolt to spec without the shaft, but do not use a support that you plan on using again on a motor.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Rockout Rocker Products

Hello,

I'm "that guy". lol

Glad you found my thread on the other forum interesting. Looking forward to hearing your results.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

2006FXDCI

Gordon , those Sputhe supports look interesting as long as they dont end up looking like this

2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

2006FXDCI

1FSTRK

2006FXDCI were those Sputhe?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

2006FXDCI

No , they are woods . Both of them broke in the same place one year apart from each other .

gordonr

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 13, 2015, 05:59:03 PM
Gordon , those Sputhe supports look interesting as long as they dont end up looking like this

Nice cut-aways!  I bought a set of woods .030" offsets one year but were offset the opposite direction that I needed.  They looked good. but sent them back anyway. Sorry to see that.  I guess chock it up to another offering to the "God of Speed".
"If was easy everyone would do it"

2006FXDCI

These were the .030" offset supports . Gordon , can you explain how that sputhe eccentric rocker support and shafts work ?

Thumper Buttercup

I'm sitting here talking to my wife Kim (ex jet mech) about this problem and how we are going
to fix it and what has been proposed.

Kim looks over at me and says, "why not cut down a straight wall pistol or rifle cartridge
and use it for a shim"?

I'm not going back out to the shop but I'll look into this tomorrow.  What about a nickel
case??

They are hardened already.

04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

kd

:agree:  Ahhh, the KISS principal.  :up: Don't overthink it.
KD

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: PoorUB on July 13, 2015, 03:12:32 PM
Hate to be negative, but with the slop in the cam support bolt holes, plus manufacturing tolerances between the head, lower rocker cover and shaft supports I don't see this working.

Which solution.. I count at least 4..

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 13, 2015, 03:29:06 PM
How much pressure is needed to hold the shaft in place? Could one simply stake the bore on one end to prevent movement?

Not much.. All you really need to do is keep the shaft from moving much if at all.. There really isn't much rotational force on them.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Thumper Buttercup on July 13, 2015, 06:57:21 PM
I'm sitting here talking to my wife Kim (ex jet mech) about this problem and how we are going

Kim looks over at me and says, "why not cut down a straight wall pistol or rifle cartridge
and use it for a shim"?

I'm not going back out to the shop but I'll look into this tomorrow.  What about a nickel
case??

:scratch:

Nickel cases are only nickel plated and it's real thin..

2006FXDCI

To the guys who are choosing to go the locktite route , how are you applying locktite and assembly lube to the shafts ? I cant see how the lube wont contaminate the locktite when assembling the rockers .

rbabos

July 14, 2015, 05:06:34 AM #64 Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:15:05 AM by rbabos
Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 14, 2015, 04:45:13 AM
To the guys who are choosing to go the locktite route , how are you applying locktite and assembly lube to the shafts ? I cant see how the lube wont contaminate the locktite when assembling the rockers .
That and it will break free eventually from the alum expanding more then the shaft. Sputhe method is the best. I actually created that noise problem once. Stock 96 was quiet but during the 113 build I noticed the support was not flat and rocked on the table so I made it flat. By doing so, when torqued the shafts did not bind like they did before. That noise followed me to the 120 build. Never did find the cause until this thread. Thinking back now, I do remember seeing a slight mark from the shafts notch edge on the bolt. :banghead: Now I know.
Ron
Ron

2006FXDCI

Ron , i looked at the sputhe website . The supports are called eccentric supports and the shafts are different looking than the standard twin cam shafts . Any idea how they work ?

rbabos

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 14, 2015, 05:20:44 AM
Ron , i looked at the sputhe website . The supports are called eccentric supports and the shafts are different looking than the standard twin cam shafts . Any idea how they work ?
Nope. I've not hand them in my hands to see what the eccentric part is all about.
Ron

Don D

Fwiw the same situation exists with S&S supports.

PoorUB

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 13, 2015, 09:00:25 PM

Which solution.. I count at least 4..

Ithe smaller cut in the shaft, larger bolt diameter type repair.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on July 14, 2015, 04:45:13 AM

My guy said to have a short bolt to be able to hold the rod in place on the bench, the whole unit will have to be assembled
dry and clean.  Put the rod in sticking a little out the backside and use a q-tip to apply a little loctite.  Then push
the rod back to the front and again apply a little on the front side and then slide it back into place and use your temp
bolt to hold in place while you move it over and install on the bike, of course wipe off any excess and don't get too much
in there that it gets in the bolt channel.

After a min of 24 hours us a oil can and inject engine oil into the rocker arms using the push rod holes.
I'm going to give it an extra day on ours and not rush it.

Max,

The John Deere shop in town where this guy does all the major repairs and the head mech both said this would handle
the expansion of the different metals in the engine.

I know it's been said with a stock mount it will squeeze down but we are using a SE plate and I don't see that one
squeezing the shaft.

We'll give it a try and go from there, and report back.

BVHOG

Quote from: HD Street Performance on July 14, 2015, 06:13:16 AM
Fwiw the same situation exists with S&S supports.
Even worse on the SE supports
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

2006FXDCI

Bob , i agree . I had a little bit of noise with the woods supports until they broke . I replaced them with SE supports and the noise is much worse

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: Max Headflow on July 13, 2015, 11:04:57 PM
Quote from: Thumper Buttercup on July 13, 2015, 06:57:21 PM

and use it for a shim"?

case??

:scratch:

Nickel cases are only nickel plated and it's real thin..

Hey Max,

Do you think the material of a rifle or pistol cartridge would be to brittle or weak
for a shim??

Eglider05

This certainly is an interesting read. I replaced my stockers on my 120 with SE's last year and have the noise under the same aforementioned conditions. I'm not quite understanding the problem with using the set screws. Would someone please enlighten me?

Rick

Rockout Rocker Products

I think some may be underestimating the Godlike powers of Loctite. :)

Seriously tho, that specific Loctite is made for the job... securing loose shafts & bearing races in their bores. It fills gaps, and has something like a 5000 lb. shear strength. I used to use it to keep the apes on my Softail from rotating, it has to be good.

So far I have about 6 hrs. runtime in high 50's to high 90's temp, multiple heat cycles, all is good. I don't expect it to be an issue.

It's interesting to see the various fixes also.

One question.... for those that have the tapping, is it always on the front like mine, or is it also the rear?

Good luck in the quest.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!