May 08, 2024, 09:00:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Using oil???

Started by BFC, July 12, 2015, 03:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFC

Just got back from a road trip of 550 miles and checked my oil.. It was down 2 full blocks on the stick.. Is that normal to use that much?? It was all highway riding at 65-80 mph with temps in the high 70s to lower 80s.. My bike is a 2007 street glide with a big bore kit with S&S compression release cams 585 I believe... Any input would be great... I searched but didn't get a solid answer

slypig

Guess I'm not familiar with the blocks on the stick.  How much oil did you use?  In 550 miles you shouldn't be using any measurable amount.

Sly

Slypig
Panama City Fl

Just Nick

Keep a eye on it for the next 1k or so miles then make a decision if it is or not

And go back to your other thread and tell us what you Dryed off to get you bike to start for your trip.
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

BFC

I've been keeping a eye on it Nick.. Right now I've used a little over 1/2to 3/4 of a quart in 3850 miles... I use Mobil 1 20/50.  When I ride on the highway I keep my rpms up around 2500 to 3000 in 5th gear would that affect anything?? Motor only has bout 22,000 miles on it since upgrades... 40,000 miles on the bike.. Thanks

Hossamania

1/2 to 3/4 of a quart in 3800 miles doesn't seem too excessive to me. Not perfect, but acceptable.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

BFC

I don't know why it would use that much though...???  Engine builder has a great reputation.... I know a lot of people who use him...

calif phil

1/2 qt in 3000 miles is nothing. 

q1svt

Quote from: Just Nick on July 12, 2015, 04:29:08 PM
Keep a eye on it for the next 1k or so miles then make a decision if it is or not
:up:

Quote from: BFC on July 12, 2015, 05:00:08 PM
Right now I've used a little over 1/2to 3/4 of a quart in 3850 miles...
I'm guessing that you might be toping the oil level off each time you check it... Harley's kind of make their own level, extra oil is pushed out the breathers, more so on built motors.  just ensure that your filling it to the correct level based on oil temp at the time and the specific procedure for the model & year.

If it just down a little from HD full specification, try riding it more without adding more oil to see if that's the level it likes.
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

kd

Are you venting into the breather?
KD

BFC

Quote from: q1svt on July 12, 2015, 05:58:45 PM

I'm guessing that you might be toping the oil level off each time you check it... Harley's kind of make their own level, extra oil is pushed out the breathers, more so on built motors.  just ensure that your filling it to the correct level based on oil temp at the time and the specific procedure for the model & year.

If it just down a little from HD full specification, try riding it more without adding more oil to see if that's the level it likes.
Thanks for the reply.. I only put enough oil in it to put it half way up on the stick and it still goes down... It was one full block above the add mark when I add enough to bring it up to the 3rd block on the stick.. After 550 mi it's down to where there is just 2 full sets of blocks before the add mark... I don't know if something may be wrong or just am paranoid lol...

q1svt

Quote from: BFC on July 12, 2015, 06:05:14 PM
Thanks for the reply.. I only put enough oil in it to put it half way up on the stick and it still goes down... It was one full block above the add mark when I add enough to bring it up to the 3rd block on the stick.. After 550 mi it's down to where there is just 2 full sets of blocks before the add mark... I don't know if something may be wrong or just am paranoid lol...
At that level, don't add any and ride it to see if it still drops more.

Are all of your checking done when the motor is at operating temp, on side stand after motor idles for 1-2 minutes?  HD  procedure...
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

Hossamania

And level ground. Many driveways are sloped a bit. Even at gas stations.

BFC

Yeah I'm checking it when it's hot and on level ground.. I don't let it idle for 1-2 minutes though... What idling supposed to do for it???

Hossamania

Allow motor to scavenge properly and get excess oil back to the oil tank.

BFC

Quote from: BFC on July 12, 2015, 06:05:14 PM
Quote from: q1svt on July 12, 2015, 05:58:45 PM

I'm getting a tapping sound up in the left front part of the motor on cold start up... It sounds like it's coming from the front part of the primary.. It goes away once I start going through the gears and the motor gets warm..???

q1svt

July 12, 2015, 06:42:36 PM #15 Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:44:58 PM by q1svt
Heard it had to do with the old style oil pan baffle [not sure the newer 2009+ bikes have the idle step]... and it gives the motor oil time to eliminate any air bubbles that may have formed getting the oil up to temperature.

Again try riding it see if it drops more or not... as Just Nick stated.

edited:
Quote from: Hossamania on July 12, 2015, 06:33:38 PM
Allow motor to scavenge properly and get excess oil back to the oil tank.

klammer76

July 12, 2015, 06:48:59 PM #16 Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:51:54 PM by klammer76
When changing the oil on my 2002 103" FLH, I start by filling the filter with 8oz then add 3.5 qts to the oil tank. This puts the oil level at the half way mark on my dip stick. After starting the bike the level drops a bit. After riding it for a while, highway speeds etc the level will drop to approx 3/16 inch from add mark. I don't see any oil oil from the external breather but that is where the level likes to be and seems to stabilize there. Drives me nuts but that is where it likes to be on mine. The picture was a cold check prior to riding. I have never seem much difference between hot & cold checks on my bike. I also have a new style oil pan, don't know if that makes any difference or not.

klammer

q1svt

Quote from: BFC on July 12, 2015, 06:35:28 PM
I'm getting a tapping sound up in the left front part of the motor on cold start up... It sounds like it's coming from the front part of the primary.. It goes away once I start going through the gears and the motor gets warm..???
Primary chain adjusted correctly??? not sure the 2007 had the auto adjusters, even with them it's worth checking

BFC

Thanks for the help guys

nibroc

have ya completely forgotten to explain how ya dried yer bike?

BFC

Quote from: nibroc on July 13, 2015, 04:45:06 AM
have ya completely forgotten to explain how ya dried yer bike?
I did explain on that post

texaskatfish

Quotea tapping sound up in the left front part of the motor on cold start up... It sounds like it's coming from the front part of the primary

In my totally NON techie experiences - "noises" emanating from these twin cam engines can be (and are) very misleading when it comes to confirming the actual location of the noise.........I recall one of Gracie's stator & rotor going bad a few years ago that I would have sworn was making noise on the RIGHT side of the engine........

setting the WHERE of your noise aside - if it is heard at startup and goes away fairly quickly my first thought is perhaps a lifter............but I am far FAR from being any sort of expert

hope Ya get it figured out!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

BFC

Quote from: texaskatfish on July 13, 2015, 08:48:27 AM

Quotea tapping sound up in the left front part of the motor on cold start up... It sounds like it's coming from the front part of the primary

In my totally NON techie experiences - "noises" emanating from these twin cam engines can be (and are) very misleading when it comes to confirming the actual location of the noise.........I recall one of Gracie's stator & rotor going bad a few years ago that I would have sworn was making noise on the RIGHT side of the engine........

setting the WHERE of your noise aside - if it is heard at startup and goes away fairly quickly my first thought is perhaps a lifter............but I am far FAR from being any sort of expert

hope Ya get it figured out!
I kinda thought the same thing bout the lifter.. But it does it through the first couple of gears at lower speed..

tqjunkie

If I ride my bike on the super slab often and run between 70-80 it will use some oil  at least a half quart  or  more in 3000 miles,if I ride it on the secondary  highways and run between 55-60 it will use very little if any in 3000 miles,I think my ring seal isn't the best,I have read that if your cylinders are a little  out of round it is harder for the rings to conform to the cylinder walls at higher rpms and oil gets past them easier then if they were true and straight,I do plan to fix the problem eventually but it runs so good I haven't bothered,it is a 07 roadglide with 70000  miles and  has a 113 inch motor with 50000 miles on it

Buffalo

I believe that the breather system, ie the umbrella and fibre fill have more to do with engine losing oil than even bad ring seal. It is now becoming common practise to drill out the drain holes under the umbrellas to .100" or slightly larger. It may also help to replace the umbrellas as hot engines can make them go hard or even curl at the edges, losing seal and allowing oil thru.
I also agree with others, that a Harley using 1/2 qt in 3000miles is nothing, many of them leak that much!
jm2c  Buffalo