April 30, 2024, 02:52:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXE to FXB project

Started by vern, March 29, 2009, 07:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

it's been a month since i last posted an up date, and what a learning curve. just when i thought i had it right along came murphy and kicked me in the butt.  the list of thing i didn't know or have keeps growing. but it's coming and i hope to have it togeather and running by april 19th. ( tsawassen swap meet and show, for those that live up here in the north west). the starter and housing the spacers on the wheel the inner primary didn't have a shifter hole. i now have a machinest on retainer good thing he likes beer. vern

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

billbuilds

Vern,
     Yes, there are lots of differences in the starter drive on the belt final drives vs the chain final drives. You mentioned the starter housing; are you aware that the starter drive shaft, starter shaft gear, shift collar, spacer that goes on the outer primary end of the starter shaft, the nut that holds that spacer on as well as the bendix fork are all different? Don't mean to bum you out, just wanted to give you a heads up.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

vern

hey thanks. i didn't know, but i do know now. i bought a kit from V Twin it looks like it will work nicely but i can't tell if my starter is a hitachy or prestolite but thats the least of my worries i can't believe the inner primary didn't have a shifter shaft hole, how many models of shovel belt drive are there? the belt drive looks cool i hope it works as well as it looks for all the work and money i've put into it. vern

billbuilds

Vern,
     There are basicaly two different model Shovels that the Moco made with belt final drives - one FX and one FL. Since the FL models had either floorboards or forward controls there was no need for a hole in the inner primary for mid shift setup. I have an 83 FLHS which has no hole in the inner primary for mid shift primary. That model came thru w/o the batwing fairing, floorboards or bags. The Hitachi starter is shorter than the Prestolite. It's app. 5-1/8" long whereas the Prestolite is 6" long (these measurement are starter only and do not include the drive housing). Also, the outer edge of the end cover (brush cover) on the Hitachi is smooth whereas the Prestolite is ribbed. Did your V-Twin kit not include the starter drive housing? I've seen them on the "bay" from time to time. I have a used belt final bendix fork and shifter collar if you need pics maybe I can post. Gotta share the puter w/ the OL today though so bear with me if I don't get them on pronto. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

vern

hi bill. thanks for the info. my starter kit from V Twin has all the parts that i need, and i guess i have a hitachi starter so i'm good to go. soon as my machinest drills a hole for the seal , bushing and shaft i'm on the home stretch.

randallwhitman

you're gonna love that rear belt.  Switched my '76 to all belts about 7 years ago.  Clean, smooth, quiet, no lubing, no adjusting......fantastic.  Just like a geezer glide.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

vern

hey randall. this belt conversion is a bigger job than i expected, but i can't wait to take it for a run, if it stops snowing!

vern

hi folks . just a a bit of an up date. every thing fits. and after all the machining and extra parts that little battery support still fits the starter, amazing. i'm going for a ride tomorrow. vern

ramcr913

Vern
It has been interesting, thanks for all the postings. I am considering the same upgrade on a 1980 FXEF. Would it be possible to post a complete list of parts (and sources, if possible) you needed to complete the job?
Congratulations on the belt conversion!
If you're ever in Texas, stop in for cold brew and a bowl of red.

billbuilds

April 06, 2009, 08:22:16 AM #9 Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 08:25:11 AM by billbuilds
     Vern,
     Here's a photo of the clutch shells for chain final drive (left) and belt final drive (right)
     Notice the difference in ring gear placement. If you want to have your ring gear moved you may want to contact Phil Ross at Supermax Belt Drives. I know that he can do the job right. Bill

ps: sorry for the large photo, I need to learn how to size

vern

thanks for the pic bill. the belt drive shovels are so different and rare that it's hard to know just what to expect when building one. there's a couple of old school parts shops in the valley, one is open today, i think i'll go and dig through his parts and try and find an old clutch basket and an older starter shaft, it's sunny and warm i'll enjoy the ride. vern

billbuilds

April 06, 2009, 09:58:40 AM #11 Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:01:22 AM by billbuilds
     Vern,
     I really think that you're better off with the new style starter drive shaft with the shoulder as there's no possibility of a clip falling off or moving.  I know that it appears to hit but it really does just miss, atleast on mine. Possibility you might be able to remove some of the width of the backside of that shoulder?
     I would let you have this clutch shell reasonably but the rivets holding several of the clutch dogs are pretty loose - enough to make it possible to wiggle the dogs just a bit and one in particular. The bearing surfaces are not great but not bad either. Anyhow if you feel the need I can take some more detailed photos. You might want to look into whether someone on your end might be able to snug up the dogs on this clutch shell.
     This is a photo of two different starter drive shaft assemblies. The top is for 70-84 chain final drive and the bottom is for 80-84 belt final 4-speeds. Note the difference in the shifter collars. Sorry, not a great pic and I need to learn how to size. Bill

vern

hi bill i have the starter shaft assy. on the bottom. and you say you have a basket!!!!!! i'm a sheetmetal worker/ welder so the rivets are no problem and i'm using the big fix bearing so the bearing surface is no big deal, i could hone it if needed. as far as the shaft goes i'll take some pics and send them. vern

vern

so I'm down to the last part, my outer primary I'm going to pull the bearing and beat the piece into submission with a rock and a chisel!!!!!

vern

one more pic

vern

today was a great day!!!!!my FXB is up and running. it runs so fine. all the work and money was worth it today!!!!

easyricer

COOL job there! Looks like a bunch of fun! Now git out and eat some bugs!
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!