May 03, 2024, 06:40:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What first bike for my 22 YO Daughter?

Started by 02rk4cruzin, March 30, 2009, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02rk4cruzin

My 22 YO daughter just completed the motorcycle class out here in CA and passed the 4 day class. Now she just has to go to the DMV and take the written test to get her MC endorsement. They provided 125-250cc motorcycles to take the class. Of course they only went into 2nd gear and she will need alot of practice in parking lots and less traveled roads.

Now the million $ question..........What bike should she look at buying used?  I'm thinking she needs something not too big but large enough cc wise so that she can ride on the freeways here in So. Cal. Maybe something like a 450-600cc? I sure would like to see her on a HD someday, but probably not for a first bike that she will learn on. I remember my first bike being a Honda 125 back in the 70's

Any thoughts on what would be best?

Thanks

Bill

Rags722

March 30, 2009, 10:20:03 AM #1 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:28:24 PM by Rags722
I started my wife on a 250 Honda Rebel.  It was a great starter bike for around town, but way too underpowered for any real highway riding.  Her second bike was a 600 Honda Shadow VLX. They are a nice bike, can be had pretty cheap, will run down the highway pretty decent (even if is is only a 4 speed) and sits nice and low if you are inseam challenged.  From there ( after close to 70,000 miles on the VLX) she moved on to at 750 Shadow.  She has no desire to buy into the HD marketing media and I have no problem with that.  Both the 600 & 750 were and have been problem free bikes.
Rags

RK101

I think a cruzer metric somewhere between 450 and 600cc would be good for a starter bike. You should be able to pick up something  like that without breaking the bank.  Good luck and may she ride many happy safe miles........RK101
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

harborjohn

500cc twin cylinder jap sport bike.  Enough power but not too much, light weight, good braking, neutral feel.

PoorUB

Quote from: harborjohn on March 30, 2009, 10:37:36 AM
500cc twin cylinder jap sport bike.  Enough power but not too much, light weight, good braking, neutral feel.

I agre, powerful enough to get the job done, but wimpy enough as to not get into trouble! Plus you can find jap cruisers for $1000-$2000 all over, ride 'em for a year, then sell them for what you paid for it, assuming it is still is one piece!
After a year or so, then she can grauduate up to something more of her liking, maybe a Yamaha R1!! :wink:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

CraigArizona85248

Be careful what you buy in the 600cc range.  My last 600cc sport bike made well over 100hp and weighed half of what a Harley touring bike weighs.  That's a formula for going very fast.  The metric cruisers tend to be a bit more domesticated.

-Craig

zj1182

March 30, 2009, 11:03:06 AM #6 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:09:26 AM by zj1182
I got my 27 YO daughter a '99 Honda Shadow 600 cc two years ago.  She's about 5'5'', and slight, so she was a little leery of the Sportster 883 we had for learners, even though she had ridden it some.  She rode the Shadow for a year and then tried a Street Bob, and then the Fat Bob her BF rented for a trip they took.  The low seat heights worked well for her, and she's ready to go that way now.

The Shadow has worked well for her, although it has a tall first gear and four gears, not what we're used to any more.  We've done a lot of back roads riding and a fair amount of highway riding and trips of several days' duration.  The Shadow keeps up and is comfortable enough for long days, and it's light enough that she can move it around if necessary.

Good luck!

zj

northbrun

02rk4cruzin

All,

Thanks for the great ideas!  She is already looking at Craig's list in our area, and I told her to look at ebay for bikes in the LA area. I'm sure theri has to be someone ready to part with a bike that they have out grown.

I'll let you know what she decides on.

Bill

Evo160K

02rk4cruzin,

"so that she can ride on the freeways here in So. Cal."

Guys, don't pile on here, if it were up to me, I wouldn't let anyones child ride until age 50.

PC_Hater

What first bike depends partly on how sensible your daughter is, and partly on her physique.
HD don't make any fast bikes. Baggers are big heavy barges that require great care at low speed so probably not a beginners bike.
Other than that, whichever HD makes her want to ride. As long as she realises that a big handful of throttle can get her into trouble quickly and she can resist the temptation for awhile she'll be fine.

The 500cc Jap twins are nice bikes but faster than an 883 Sportster.

I have friends who went from 12hp 125s to a Ducati and a big Honda. A sense of fear and the ability to not get carried away work very well indeed!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

BKACHE

Giving advice is problematic.
I would give her the + and - of any question she asks but I would not let anyone tell me anything at that age.
I would let her decide at least tell you why this-or-that.
Maybe times have changed.
Dan

Panzer

Raggs, I agree with you sir. :up:

Quote from: PC_Hater on March 30, 2009, 11:32:29 AM
HD don't make any fast bikes. Baggers are big heavy barges that require great care at low speed so probably not a beginners bike.

:wtf: I beg your pardon sir, but there I would have to disagree with you, unless of course you're comparing HD sporties, and such to rice rockets.

Now, the "bagger barges" as you call them, I'll let the owners of them defend that statement.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

RK101

I agree big twins are not a great bike for most begginers, there to expensive. As for slow speed handling. My RK handles better at slow speeds then any bike I've ever owned. Then I guess that's why so many police deparments use them in the cities as well as on the Highway.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

dakota224

Honda Rebel 250 or the 450 version . 

03RKJC

My girlfriend started on a Buell Blast.  She loved it, a perfect bike for beginners.  It light, dependable, and real beginner friendly, And she can say she rides a Harley.  To a certain extent.

HenryJ

My wife spent her first year on a Shadow 600.  We bought it for $2300 and sold it for $2400 the following summer when she bought her Low Rider.

ANNIEFATS

My wife rides a 750 Shadow ACE.  That is what she learned on, and is very comfortable with.
She has rode my Fatboy, likes it, but she is so happy with her Shadow, she won't sell it for anything right now.
One day I know she will, but she fits the Shadow after a couple of small mods(new seat, and lowered a little)
and she is comfortable, and that is what counts.  If someone is a little leary riding anything, they won't enjoy
it, and they put themselves at risk.
Go with whatever she is comfortable with.
JMO.
Todd
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read binary, and those who can't!

L-

I would go with the Honda Shadow also.  600cc or a a little larger. Nice bikes.

L-

HroadhogD1

I would put her on the small jap bike also.  I wouldn't even think about a Harley untill she gets some experience.  If she falls over in the parking lot and dents the tank, she won't cry as hard as if she spent her hard earned (or your) cash on a Sportster.

Sonny S.

I would get her something that is going to be similar in seating position, and ride height to whatever her next bike will be.

harley883r

One Day At A Time
Muskokas ON

Garry in AZ

Have you considered the Yamaha V-Star 650 twins? Low, light clutch, lots of "no stall" torque, big enough for freeway duty, small enough for city commuting. Harley look and "almost" feel... Yamaha reliability, easy to service if you have metric tools. Seems to be lots of them for sale slightly used at bargain prices...
Or the Buell Blast is a great first bike too....

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

deathwish

the smaller Jap cruisers are still to heavy and floppy. I would really look at the Blast or find one of the Kawasaki 500 Twins. Plenty of bike and light enough to help you get out of trouble. Cycle World has done issues on this in the past and I am sure back issues are available.