May 10, 2024, 06:46:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Checking MG shaft endplay

Started by Azgunner, July 26, 2015, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azgunner

After finding metal chips on my tranny oil drain plug I pulled the trans apart to find the source. Prior to dis-assembly I checked the MG shaft end-play & got .0035", the SM says there should be .000 (zero) which does not sound reasonable. Is the SM correct? I placed a .0005" indicator tip on the end of the MG shaft & pushed in, set zero & then pulled out to check end play.

Runout looked good at .0015-.002 TIR. I also checked vertical & horizontal deflection. I placed indicator tip on the shaft at the inner primary race area & pushed the shaft away from indicator & got .007 deflection. I then did the same thing at the end of the shaft on the I.D. & got .011. Unfortunately I did this a few days ago & can't remember if I checked total deflection meaning pushing the shaft away, setting zero & then pulling the opp. direction to get the total amount of deflection or not.

Can anyone with experience comment on the measurements I'm getting & whether they are acceptable or not?

Thanks.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

RK103

I had two bikes in for service a few years ago that had trash on the drain plug. When I pulled them down the outboard bearing in the main gear that supports the main shaft had walked in and came apart. The weird part is they were both 03 soft tails, a Fat Boy and a Heritage, both with low miles.