April 28, 2024, 10:30:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

no problems with ironheads

Started by dr evo1, July 27, 2015, 12:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr evo1

must not be very many ironhead owners on this site. I see very few post.

Panzer

Quote from: dr evo1 on July 27, 2015, 12:03:31 AM
must not be very many ironhead owners on this site. I see very few post.

I'd say, same as the Sportster section, not many problems there either.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

garyajaz

oh, they be problems.
just after 45 years or so most are sorted out.

Racepres

Quote from: garyajaz on July 27, 2015, 08:09:12 AM
oh, they be problems.
just after 45 years or so most are sorted out.

ours appear to be. But, the Boy Red Lit at the drags with the '77 last W.E. Loosing that but I used it to win a Round of Slow Racing...Does that count??

Stay tuned..I acquired an '80 bottom end with a very smashed tranny case...Thinking of building it up with a non-sportster trans, hooked to the Cut-off crank case.
Some fun now  huh?

garyajaz

block off the rear cyl, pull the rod and make a speedway bike out of it.

Racepres

Quote from: garyajaz on July 29, 2015, 01:17:13 PM
block off the rear cyl, pull the rod and make a speedway bike out of it.

Did all that years and years ago...shakes a bit, but it was fun...BTW easiest to use the female rod, and leave the stub of a Male rod in place!

rider7816

No, Ive been soo busy chasing gremlins on my ironhead that I havent had a chance to post..   Ride, Repair, Repeat!

Frank

rider7816

:emoGroan:

I was riding my Ironhead two Sundays ago and BANG, BANG BANG BANG!!!! This is not something you want to hear coming from inside your engine.  Long story short, my rear wrist pin spiral lock let go and sheared the connecting rod right off.

Time for a full reuild.

Meh!

Racepres

And either a different mechanic, or proper tools...Spiral locks do Not just Let Go...wasn't installed correctly....

chopper

Actually, I've seen a worn out rod/ bearing on the crank work spiral locks out, and eat cylinders.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Racepres

Quote from: chopper on December 31, 2015, 06:28:46 AM
Actually, I've seen a worn out rod/ bearing on the crank work spiral locks out, and eat cylinders.

If it can "work" a Properly installed Spiral lock out...It will certainly push out a damn Clip!!!

JW113

Unless it is a re-used spiro-lock. Seen it happen. (not me)

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Bsmith153

Heres a pic of my 1981 ironhead, took me 2 years to De-AMF the damn thing, afger that it was great.
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

Racepres

Quote from: Bsmith153 on January 06, 2016, 06:52:54 PM
Heres a pic of my 1981 ironhead, took me 2 years to De-AMF the damn thing, afger that it was great.

De AMF???
If it weren't for AMF....What would we be riding??? BMW??? Never...Metric???? Sheeesh!!!!
I am Proud of My AMF motorcycles...Period.

BTW...It looks to me like you would have saved some by Buying a Softail [No AMF there!!!!]

Vic Chichester

January 11, 2016, 05:54:49 PM #14 Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:23:40 AM by Vic Chichester
No problems with Ironheads here Doc. There was a time that owned a dozen of them, I am down to 2 or 3 now.
Here is a 1978 that I have owned from new. Totaled once and rebuilt from the ground up including a new factory frame with original number.
Made me a lot of money when it was 4 13/16 stroke and .040 over bore and running that S&S L model. Paint and chrome is 35 years old and showing it's age but first bike I ever bought brand new, everything before it was used.

tommy g

09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

westcomb

Quote from: Racepres on December 08, 2015, 07:41:34 AM
And either a different mechanic, or proper tools...Spiral locks do Not just Let Go...wasn't installed correctly....
Or someone installed a Spiral lock in a piston not intended for one? .......... I've seen that before! ...........

Vic Chichester

Quote from: tommy g on January 11, 2016, 11:15:32 PM
Ahhhh that is a beauty!

Thanks
It has had different looks over the years. Went through the 6" over fork and king queen seat with sissy bar stage for a while. Rode it from Maine to Key West FL mostly on the old Route 1 back in the day when I was young and foolish. A couple years ago I had knee replacement surgery, not blaming it all on the sporties, lots of other injuries over the years and both knees are shot not just the kicker knee but they sure played their part.

1FSTRK

Vic
What are you doing hiding down here in the iron section?

I have seen the bike and it is as nice as the pics, maybe he'll post what it looked like the first time he customized it the hard way when it was 2 months old.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

tommy g

Very nearly bought the same thing but in 77 and have no recollection of why I didn't. I do remember the price here in western Canada was either 54 or $5700 new. I will have one before the dirt nap.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

sfmichael

very cool bike Vic  :up: :up:

guy came into the dealership today asking if we'd be interested in buying a fully restored '57 Sporty....where's that powerball money when I need it!  :doh:
Colorado Springs, CO.

rider7816

Quote from: rider7816 on December 08, 2015, 05:36:40 AM
:emoGroan:

I was riding my Ironhead two Sundays ago and BANG, BANG BANG BANG!!!! This is not something you want to hear coming from inside your engine.  Long story short, my rear wrist pin spiral lock let go and sheared the connecting rod right off.

Time for a full reuild.

Meh!

Its official,  I dropped the engine off right before Christmas at Gary UMS in Deland, FL for the rebuild.  "Call me when its done" were my last words. Oh, and " I dont want to see the inside of this engine for at least another 20 years"!

Luckily I have a couple of other bikes to ride in the mean time because this guy is very busy with work.  I probably wont see the engine done for another few months.

:doh:

nibroc

figure on 4 mos min to get the engine back

rider7816