May 02, 2024, 02:49:22 PM

News:

6 Speed gears

Started by Mark222, March 30, 2009, 04:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark222

Ok, so you may have seen from an earlier post I am going to be going into the 5 speed gearbox on my 50K mile, 1991 FLHTCU.  So that got me thinking, why not go back with a 6 speed set of gears in the old 5 box, and sell the leftovers?

So what is the history on the available sets?  Pros and cons.............................

Ultima
Baker
Revtec
Any others?

Looking for value and dependabilty.  I am not easy on equipment, but I don't beat it all the time either.  Current mods are Pipes and AC, EV27 and heads -.050

Thoughts and recommendations?

Mark

05FLHTC

I'm researching the Ultima 6 speed right now. So far feedback/research is proving the Ulitima to be leading the pack for cost, guarantee 2 yr 20K miles, & reports from others that have experienced smooth shifting and reliability. A few have reported some difficulty finding neutral along with some mod required for speedometer calibration on some evo models & a fix required to repair the neutral light. Nothing major negative & majority have very positive reports about the Ultima.

My research is pushing me toward the Ultima & mine will be hooked behind my 2005 bagger that has a 103 pushing 115/115 running a 3.37 final. I like the 3.37 & would really like to compliment it with another gear to have the best of all worlds.

This link allows you to compare different overdrive/final drive/manufactures/options at different RPM vs speeds, kinda cool
http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/Gearratio.htm     
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

Ken R

You may find that an 88TC doesn't have enough torque to push that 6th gear in conditions where you'd like to use it.  Before upgrading my engine, I would have to revert to 5th gear if in strong headwind conditions or if the interstate had a moderate rising grade.  Twising the throttle more doesn't do all that well for fuel economy. 

But 95 cubic inches, 21N cam, and a professional tune were in my future anyway; so I got the Baker DD6 first.  I can tell you this, the ride is much more comfortable in 6th gear. 

I'm very happy with my Baker DD6 so far.  It's a good DIY project if you enjoy that sort of thing.   There's a lot to take off to get to the transmission innards; but once there, it's a snap. 

Ken

hotham

I put a Rev Tech gearset in my FXR about 5 years ago.  I have a Rivera clutch and I have never ridden a bike with a smoother transmission.  The early Rev Tech sets had some problems, but that  was corrected.  The motor is an S&S stroker that makes 100hp and I have been known to ride it, like I stole it.  As a mech. engineer, I conducted some tests on the set up,  before I put it in.  Rockwell values are consistant and gear mesh was perfect.  I can't say enough about the set up.  If you want to sell your old 5 speed transmision then step and buy the complete 6 speed box.  My 5 speed was worn out, but the case was still good.

randallwhitman

I have a 103" shovel that puts out 95 ft. lbs. of torque, hooked up to a JIMS 6 in a 4 box.  The tranny is absolutely fantastic........way better than the tranny in my 103" '07 Street Glide.  Smoothest shifting I've ever experienced.  Been riding/wrenching since '70.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX