May 02, 2024, 04:13:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Too lean in the upper RPMs ???

Started by JYHD1, March 30, 2009, 06:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JYHD1

Just got my 06' Heritage back from the dealership today after a new 95" build and tune. In looking at the AFRs on the
dyno sheet I noticed that it showed starting to go leaner at around 4,000 rpm, about 14, and continued to lean out
up to around 15 at 5,000 rpm. Then started richening up again back to 14 by 6,000.  When I asked the tuner about it, he
said that it was the mixture this motor liked best for making the most power. It did pick up 25hp between 4,000 and 5,000
(72hp-97hp) so I couln't argue that point. I don't think the tuner was just letting it go as close enough as it was run file 31,
so he had definately spent some time tuning it.

So my question for all you knowledgeable folks out there is- is that too lean or what ??? TIA for any help.

build was:

95" big bore cylinders prof fitted with 10:5 domed pistons
cnc stage II heads (91cc)
SERT
SE211 cam set
V&H staggered big shots
.030 HG
Crane adj PR
oil cooler

Valley

HD1, How's about a look at the graph. Did the tuner tune  both cylinders? What type of tuning unit did he use?

JYHD1

I don't have the dyno sheet right now as they forgot to bring the box with the paperwork and take off parts when they
delivered the bike today. NE Iowa so no riding right now.

He said that he had done a "full tune" including timing both cyl and AFRs in all ranges. I'm not very knowledgeable on
the tuning aspects as we used to have a top engine builder and tuner here and he would build and tune for the way
he knew I rode. Unfortunately for me he now works for Sns. So I'm pretty much lost on the tuning.

Hopefully I can get the dyno sheet tomorrow and post it if that will help. I know the sheet did say Dynojet Winpep .

Thanks,  John

FLTRI

Quote from: JYHD1 on March 30, 2009, 06:50:50 PM
.....I noticed that it showed ...around 15 at 5,000 rpm. When I asked the tuner about it, he said that it was the mixture this motor liked best for making the most power

Generally for street application where short bursts of acceleration and power is the norm, 13.0-13.5:1 AFR is accepted.
Tuning the WOT portion of the procedure is by far the easiest to get right. I always get a bit suspicious if the AFR @ WOT varies more than .5 AFR...and leaner AFR @ higher RPMs. If anything, during high RPMs you would want a bit more fuel to help with combustion temps.

QuoteSo my question for all you knowledgeable folks out there is- is that too lean or what ??? TIA for any help.
Easy answer: This does not sound good. Post the sheet.
Is there more power to get from the engine anywhere @ WOT the AFR is leaner than 14.0:1, I would bet on it.

Based on what you have said I would seek out a qualified experienced tuner and pay him to verify the tune. Should be cheap to have him check the WOT AFR and a few parts throttle AFRs.. Then you will know what's up. If it's right you will have spent another say $50 to know it's right. If it's not right it really makes no difference how much you did or didn't pay, the tune is not right and has to be corrected.

Sidebar: SE211 cams are unique and no canned SERT map will be close, especially between 2000-3500rpms. So the tuner would have had to do a lot of work to get the calibration modified to work properly with that cam profile.

As always JMHO, Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

JYHD1

Went back to the dealership today to pick up my take off parts and talk to them about the tune. Turns out that the
service writer had printed the first WOT run that they did, not the final tune. Their printer was on the fritz today but
they did show me the final tune run on the computer and it looked a whole lot better. AFR was almost a straight line
at around 13.2 and slightly richer in the higher rpms. Also had picked up a nice increase in power over the first run.
So all is well !

Thanks for the help guys . Bob, as usual your "humble opion" was great information and a big help to guys like me
who need and really appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge with us.

John