May 02, 2024, 08:13:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Does this make sense?????

Started by 08ultra03deuce, March 31, 2009, 04:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

08ultra03deuce

I was running SEII mufflers and stock headers on my carburated softail.  I bought it that way and never had any significant discoloration.  I just put on Hooker Troublemakers and rode 20 miles a couple days ago.  Everything seemed ok.  I thought it may be running a little lean.  There was the occasional decel pop and it seemed to take longer before i could push the choke fully in. 

I figured I would give the adjustment a 1/4 turn to richen up the mix a little bit.  I took it out for another 20 miles yesterday and when i got back i noticed what appeared to be small scratches on the outside of the pipes just after the heat shields ended.  When I looked really close the area appeared to be bluing.  After the pipes cooled i ran my hand over them and those areas feel like it got sanded with 80 grit.

My experience with bluing is that the chrome discolors but remains smooth.  This is like the chrome didn't expand with the heat and made small cracks exposing the metal underneath.  I went back to the adjustment screw and it was out 3 turns (2 3/4 before i adjusted it).  I set it at 2 and adjusted it in.  It didn't run rough until about 1 1/2 turns so it seems like the jets from the original pipes should be ok. 

Has anyone seen this or is it just part of the bluing process from a poorly tuned bike.  I'm a little shocked at the damage after only 40 miles in 50F weather.

I'm pretty frustrated.  The pipes looked great before............  Thanks for your help.

Chad

96dynabagger

haven't seen that, but the way the chrome is bubbling up off my '96 primary (and has been for some time)
I'm not surprised by chrome problems.

08ultra03deuce

Yea i don't get it.  There isn't even any discoloration on the areas of the pipes right off the heads under the heat sheilds.  Exchanging one higher flow exhaust for another seemed pretty straight forward to me.  The literature says that they are supposed to be shielded.

Shoulda just gotten the black ones..........