May 02, 2024, 02:01:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cleaning/polishing powdercoated parts....?

Started by Big Dan, March 31, 2009, 05:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dan

I have a lot of powdercoated parts on my bike (gloss black, then clear powder over the black). I'd like to figure out a good cleaner/polish to use on this stuff. I've never tried to polish it at all, but every cleaner I've tried leaves the parts looking milky, or cloudy... kind of a haze to it. S100 works well on the wrinkle black engine parts, but I need something for the gloss black parts.

I'm pretty sure if I get 'em looking good, I can wax the stuff and it will help for the future. Any suggestions?
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

cig

Dan, after cleaning just try wax in a small area. I think the wax will take care of the haze.
cig 
Alton, Illinois

Deye76

Dan, are you applying cleaners by hand or with a machine? I"ve had some success "wheeling" out powder coat using an agressive compund and a foam pad.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

IndyHarley

I've always used PigSpit on a powder coat surface - it dries without leaving any residue and most times you don't need to do anything but just take a quick wipe at it to get the excess off.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Big Dan

I've been trying various things by hand. Haven't tried pledge, although I used to use it on chrome with pretty good results. Wax seems to help. I think if I get it cleaned up good and then get a coat or 2 of wax on it, it should be easier from here on. It's not that it looks bad, just that a lot of the cleaners I've tried seem to leave a slight residue. I think I'll pick up some Pig Spit and give it a try.  Thanks for all the suggestions.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

onemchog

Try WD 40 you will be surprised what it will clean. My wife uses it on all the stainless in the house and no more finger prints
Stay safe no matter what 2 wheels your on.
Barnegat,New Jersey

FRANKIE THE FINGER

my motor is gloss black powder and I use WD 40 after a wash and it looks good
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.