May 09, 2024, 01:37:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rebuild time for the touring pig

Started by Coyote, August 13, 2015, 06:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Akbar

Coyote

Quote from: klammer76 on August 14, 2015, 09:59:11 AM
Very nice. Is the base like a conventional car motor stand?

The base is just like the top and is bolted to the floor.

[attach=0]

Quote from: Max Headflow on August 14, 2015, 10:06:03 AM
Like the tool box..

Yeah me too. Circumstances kinda thrust it upon me.  :idunno:

klammer76

Quote from: Coyote on August 14, 2015, 10:33:22 AM

Quote from: klammer76 on August 14, 2015, 09:59:11 AM
Very nice. Is the base like a conventional car motor stand?

The base is just like the top and is bolted to the floor.

[attach=0]

Quote from: Max Headflow on August 14, 2015, 10:06:03 AM
Like the tool box..

Yeah me too. Circumstances kinda thrust it upon me.  :idunno:
Very nice. Thanks for the pics and info.

Just Nick

I like the lift got two of them and a couple of the handy bob 1500's its nice not to have to bend over to much ( I'm 6'5") so I still got to bend some
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

No Cents

that's almost too pretty to work in...a very very clean working environment. The way it should be.
I'd be afraid to walk around in there for fear of wanting to touch everything.
Nice work shop!

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

mattVA

August 14, 2015, 11:26:54 AM #30 Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:39:01 AM by mattVA
So did you invest in the Timken tools to do it yourself. .? Are you planning on doing enough bikes to pay for the tools? I'm just wondering, why not send the cases off to someone like Tman or DH who line bores the case halves. I've read late model bikes don't have alignment and doing Timken conversion without this step isn't the best idea.

Edit to add: Thanks for all of the pictures. You have a very nice shop and tools. No expense spared. When you get to applying sealant to the halves would you be willing to share a picture as I'm headed in there this winter.
2009 FXDF

Coyote

Quote from: mattVA on August 14, 2015, 11:26:54 AM
So did you invest in the Timken tools to do it yourself. .? Are you planning on doing enough bikes to pay for the tools? I'm just wondering, why not send the cases off to someone like Tman or DH who line bores the case halves. I've read late model bikes don't have alignment and doing Timken conversion without this step isn't the best idea.

Edit to add: Thanks for all of the pictures. You have a very nice shop and tools. No expense spared.

Yes, I bought the tool. Many tools I have purchased over the years don't get used a lot. But when I need one, it's there and I don't have to wait to get stuff done.  :nix:   I don't think there is any alignment issues but I suppose time will tell.

gabbyduffy

thats key "not depending on anybody but yourself" and you know its done rite. My next tool is going to be wheel bearing remover and installer.
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

mattVA

Quote from: gabbyduffy on August 14, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
   thats key "not depending on anybody but yourself" and you know its done rite. My next tool is going to be wheel bearing remover and installer.

Go for the Pit Posse and piece together what you need to turn it into the JIMS. Much cheaper and practically identical.
2009 FXDF

Coyote

August 14, 2015, 03:51:40 PM #34 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:35:38 PM by Coyote
So long to the 37's. They served me well for 4 years.

The Fueling pump and plate still look good. Just need some new seals on the pump.

Matt C

37s were decent back in their day, outdated by todays standards. What are you going to go back with with?

IronMike113

Quote from: MCE on August 14, 2015, 04:42:30 PM
37s were decent back in their day, outdated by todays standards. What are you going to go back with with?

Just like the 54's but you know they work,and everyone else puts Thier spin on it,and Walla we have a new cam,the 37 is a good all round cam in smaller displacement,Are there better you bet,everything can always improved,But somethings just work........ JMO
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on August 14, 2015, 06:25:25 PM
Quote from: MCE on August 14, 2015, 04:42:30 PM

Just like the 54's but you know they work,and everyone else puts Thier spin on it,and Walla we have a new cam,the 37 is a good all round cam in smaller displacement,Are there better you bet,everything can always improved,But somethings just work........ JMO

54s are outdated? 

:scratch:

Matt C

PeteH

Gotta love the pee pad for a throw away bench top!

I learn something new every day! No more newspaper bench tops for me.
03 FLSTFI
02 FLSTCI

autoworker

Good choice you have made with the pistons.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Coyote

Quote from: Deye76 on August 15, 2015, 05:53:39 AM
What lifters are you going with?

I have a set of S&S in the parts drawer.

BUBBIE

August 15, 2015, 09:43:58 AM #43 Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:36:52 PM by BUBBIE
Might he use the 57 cause of the more LIFT? Had such a good Running bike with the 37's... :SM:

I remember being BEHIND him... :missed:

signed....BUBBIE

Well Post #4 says GMR577 ...  :hyst: close to the 57 though

Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

mike jesse

05HarleyBagger

Very nice shop and post. Very informative. BTW, what kinda lift is that ?  Keep us in the loop....thanks

Just Nick

Quote from: 05HarleyBagger on August 15, 2015, 02:02:38 PM
Very nice shop and post. Very informative. BTW, what kinda lift is that ?  Keep us in the loop....thanks

K&L MC625R
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Coyote

Broke down and made me a proper tool today.

[attach=0]

mike jesse

For comp. release removal. Good job.

Coyote