Hello from Omaha, NE!

Started by HarleymanMike, August 17, 2015, 03:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarleymanMike

Thanks for the add.  Never hurts to chat with informed people, enjoying like things.

randyman

Welcome.  I live in Bellevue.

HarleymanMike

Hey!  Thanks!  Nice to meet ya, and good to know there are some locals on here.

Coff 06

Welcome!       No matter where you're from there's always someone local on here.      Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

moscooter

:pop:
Born and raised there...........way too many yrs ago.  Will be heading back next month for my 55th reunion from North High.  :emoGroan:

Used to do Hill Climbs north of Hummel Park way back when and trail rides thru Hummel and neat trail rides north of Council Bluff up in the hills just east of the railroad tracks.

Also got into enduros back in the 60's---70's.  Did several (Rainbow Point) enduros out of C.B. Iowa and many Pine Ridge enduros out of Chadron,  Nb.

Great memories of trail riding on the Iowa side of the So. Omaha bridge going north...........you could ride trails all the way to the hills of No. C.B. Iowa.........by going thru a drainage pipe under I-29.    :koolaid3:   

HarleymanMike

Thanks for the welcomes!!!  moscooter,  I've ridden all of those trail and hill climbs.  They finally outlawed the riding along the river back in around 1986, but people still do it.  Been through that drainage pipe many many times, LOL.

Frank the Real Biker

Welcome to the zoo.

I'm from Omaha, too! Well, OK...I moved to the Kansas City area in 1978, but I'm still a Nebraskan at heart. Rode a 1970 Honda CB 350 all over Scribner, Fremont, Hooper and Omaha back then. (The Sheriff is probably still telling stories about me.) Spent a night in the Washington County Jail in Blair and another night in the Saunders County Jail in Wahoo. I wasn't too much of a miscreant cuz I ended up retiring from law enforcement here in the KC area.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Darn good info available in here.

HarleymanMike

Thanks Coff 06 and Frank the real biker!

moscooter

Quote from: HarleymanMike on August 17, 2015, 07:03:02 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!!!  moscooter,  I've ridden all of those trail and hill climbs.  They finally outlawed the riding along the river back in around 1986, but people still do it.  Been through that drainage pipe many many times, LOL.

hey.........If you can relate back that far,  you may have been familar with Ramer Motors.  Don Ramer back then had a shop around 27th and Leavenworth (that is a complete "guess")......but not too far off the mark.   He later moved the shop out west of town and I was there but could not even tell ya exactly where it was.

I think his Dad,  (Pappy Ramer) started the business..........(I never knew him),  but damned if I didn't see a picture of him on the wall at the "Wheels of Time" in Maggie Valley,  N.C.   I'm sure you must know of that place as the owner has his own show on TV.

I sold my old Triumph TR6 at Ramers old shop and bought a Bultaco Matador ('67....250cc),  back then as we were getting into enduros.   Later on,  I bought a '75 Bultaco Frontera (360cc) at his new shop out west.

I worked for IBM Corp and some of my co-workers were riders and rode enduros with Don..........(Pine Bluff) etc.

HarleymanMike

Good ole Ramer Motors!  They opened their new place on the corner of 61st and Grover...had a little test track out back to try out their dirt bikes.  I bought a lot of stuff from them as they were in my neighborhood.  I used to ride on their "track" often...would happen to be riding by and had to stop for a few minutes.  Ahh, the good ole days.  Ramer's. Superior Sports Center, Omaha Kawasaki, Paul's Yamaha (C.B., IA), and I can't remember the Yamaha dealer in Bellevue.  Those were the good old time Dealers.  Now it seems we have a bunch of fly-by-nighters.

moscooter

"Paul's Yamaha (C.B., IA), "

:scratch:  I don't remember Yamaha being part of Pauls Cycle Service waaaaaaaaaaay back when.  But the Triumph I mentioned selling thru Ramers,  I bought it used from Paul back in 1965.  Paul let me buy it via an "installment plan",  so much down,  and so much a month.  I scrounged up the balance due and picked it up,  a '63 TR6 (single carb, 40"). 

As I recall,  I paid him $725 for that bike and got $650 for it in 1968 when I sold it thru Ramers.  Pretty good deal I thought. :bike:

HarleymanMike

Quote from: moscooter on August 19, 2015, 06:03:34 AM
"Paul's Yamaha (C.B., IA), "

:scratch:  I don't remember Yamaha being part of Pauls Cycle Service waaaaaaaaaaay back when.  But the Triumph I mentioned selling thru Ramers,  I bought it used from Paul back in 1965.  Paul let me buy it via an "installment plan",  so much down,  and so much a month.  I scrounged up the balance due and picked it up,  a '63 TR6 (single carb, 40").
As I recall,  I paid him $725 for that bike and got $650 for it in 1968 when I sold it thru Ramers.  Pretty good deal I thought. :bike:

Rode it 3 years for $75.00!!  Yeah...great deal!