May 03, 2024, 11:11:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FORK SUSPENSION SPRING UPGRADE?...03RK

Started by starrider, March 31, 2009, 11:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrider

March 31, 2009, 11:16:32 AM Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:22:22 AM by Starrider
Hi guys...

I think my 03RK needs a fork suspension upgrade...any suggestions as to what BRAND or product?

I've been trying to get an upgrade specific for my bike from this one company.....however i keep getting a reply that they are behind stocking that kit as one of their vendors has yet to supply some part to complete the kit.

Getting tired of riding this bike daily with hard BUCK BOARD front suspension...going 30mph and hitting just a manhole cover it rattles bad on the front end...with no diving either. I did have the forks serviced only 6k miles ago...with screaming eagle oil...or at least the invoice stated it was done?

So i am willing to just have them rebuild the whole thing ...however the product i have been trying to get doesn't have the kit in stock.....Sooooooooo...WHAT OTHER FORK UPGRADE SPRINGS...WOULD YOU RECOMMEND???

As always your advice...appreciated...THANKS IN ADVANCE.

PS. If i can't find anything ...was thinking of just have 20wt. BELRAY serviced with the forks AGAIN.  :wink:

specialx1

progressives worked well for me but you will hear different :pop:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

starrider

specialx1

race tech as lot of good options also and good tech support if ya call em and tell em your weight n kind of bike they are very helpful also
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

Garry in AZ

I changed to the Progressives as well, and I like them... they are smooth riding, with the spring rate increasing as they compress, so they solved the bottoming issue I'd had on big bumps... but my problem was the front end was too vague and didn't have enough feel to to it... Changing the springs/spacer length makes a big change in suspension compression, whereas changing the oil provides more control of rebound damping.
Your complaint sounds like the forks are too stiff? Consider this... the OEM oil was 10wt, the SE oil you had put in is 15wt.... If so, changing to a heavier weight old (you mentioned BelRay 20wt) will only make it worse. I'd go lighter, or, use a little less oil volume.

Garry
We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of SMART!

93evorider

Did the race tech kit this winter--call them and they will help you get set up with the proper spring rates for your ride and weigh-   they (race tech kit) is a hugh improvement over the stock set up (imho) rides and handles like a totally different machine

starrider

March 31, 2009, 02:09:18 PM #6 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:12:38 PM by Starrider
Specialx1...Yes...i did speak with someone at R.Tech. They said according to my weight...they still did not have the part to complete the kit...emulator. Springs they did have.

Garry...you may have a point there.

93Evorider...according to them...they don't have the emulator to complete the flex s-3810 kit...said to call back next week.

Thanks guys! :beer: