April 28, 2024, 06:01:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Outside for the first time in a long while.

Started by 04customking, March 31, 2009, 01:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04customking

Hope to finish her up and maybe ride her this weekend. Things are coming together pretty well now.

Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

CraigArizona85248

That looks great Jim!  Nice work.  Have you fired her up yet?

-Craig

Erichill

Looks great, makes me want to go wash mine. Can tell alot of work went into her.  How's she sound?
Eric

53Pan66shovel

that is one of the sweetest looking pans i have ever seen :up: :up: good job

Little Al

ok Jim, it's official.

I HATE YOU

lol, GREAT job man, that bike looks damn sweet. I hope to be about 3 weeks behind you...
Little Al

Windweaver

blackbeard 60

iiggii

Man O Man Lookin good !,what kind of pipes ?

04customking

Thanks guys. It's been very expensive but I am going to miss the working on her. Guess I'll have to find another to start.
Craig, I had it running last year as the snow flew but just to get it running. All I had was a gas hose taped to the handlebars filled with gas and a string on the carb. Took a lot of kicking but once she went it sounded great. Stupid me, I left the oil in and it sumped over the winter. I drained the case last week but she's still dripping. I have one or two more things to do and then the oil, and gas go back in and the heart starts racing again. I copied your carb specs from your site to get it close too. Didn't have that before when I ran it.
The pipes are Paugho's. They sound really nice and I like the shotgun look.
Little Al, as fast as you're moving on yours, you'll probably still beat me, and if that happens then it's official, I HATE YOU.

Pzokes

Looks great. 

I especially like your combination of early hydraulic brake petal and late rear master cylinder.  I usually seen it done with mechanical brake petals and no footboards.

Glad to see that your "O" ring chain fit with enough fender clearance.  The last one I used didn't fit.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

04customking

March 31, 2009, 06:37:53 PM #10 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 06:40:31 PM by 04customking
Pzokes. these pics are with the "old" chain but it appears to have plenty of room. If there is any concern it will be against the inner primary but that should be good too. I still have to order a chain. That new rear master cyl whit the old hydraulic pedal proved to be a challange but I wanted the new components, (calipers and master cyls) It came out very nice if I do say so myself. Thanks, Jim

paysonpan

A most excellent job.I have been following your build since you were working on the frame and posted pics on the old board.Every phase is well planned and executed.DId you buy this scooter as a basket case,a runner or did you accumulate parts at different times?
I am putting a 55 Pan together slowly but should have it up and running by mid summer.
What type of master cylinder are you using for the front brake? I am currently running an early 70s shovel type on my 63 pan and would like something a bit cleaner.
Congrats on a job well done
Gino

Little Al

Jim, you live in western NYS right? I'm down here in the city. How about we meet in maybe Binghamton? Whoever gets her running first and gets there finds the best bar?

seriously man, you really did a great job! I too have been following you since you started posting about her. Especially with you having a '54 too you're work has been especially motivating for me.

btw, soon I'll need the measurements for the placement of the 50th anniversary medallion...
Little Al

Pzokes

March 31, 2009, 07:41:27 PM #13 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:29:33 PM by Pzokes
Does that front end have a 2" extention, or is it just the way it looks in the pictures?

I really like the new HD calipers.  You can't beat the "take-off" prices, and your installation looks great.  I've just bought another rear setup to put on another bike. 

04customking

I have to get to work right now but this afternoon I'll answer some more and take a few more shots of specific arears. Thanks guys.

04customking

Sorry to not get back. The front end is two over. Was when I bought and figured I'd keep it and try it before getting rid of it. I am very pleased with the brakes and the way they came out. The master cylinder is from a company in Lockport NY called Excell. Very nice stuff. I didn't want something that took switch housings and they were one of the few that looked good. In person the MC was a little bigger than I had hoped but it really is a nice piece. I bought the matching clutch lever too just haven't put it on yet. Yesterday, I decided to get her running again. I went to the store and got oil, put that in, went to the shed for my gas can and my son had beat me. GONE or at least the gas was. Back to the station and got fresh gas and put that in. Not having a procedure yet for starting I kicked about 20 times. Decided to check timing again. Off maybe a couple degrees. Kicked about 10 more times and was kicking for what was going to be my last for awhile and she started. Gen. and oil went right out and sounded great. Got my large fan out and set in front of it and let her run for 4-5 minutes. Shut it off and re torqued. Let it set awhile while I had a beer and one kick. Did that over and over all night at different intervals and only once did it take a couple before starting. Came home from work today, pulled the cv enrichener, one full twist of the throttle and first kick she was running. Soooo happy with that. Now the bad. Pulled the primo clutch in , dropped it into gear, drove out into the driveway and when I pulled the clutch in it acted like the brakes were on and was grinding from inside until the bike came to a stop. No noise sitting or accelerating, just with clutch in and coasting to stop. I want to puke. Parked it and walked away. Little Al, yea we will definitely have to plan something. Enough of of from around here to get together in the middle somewhere. Boy, that's enough typing for me for now.

Pzokes

The reason that I asked about the 2" tubes is that I'm getting ready to put a set on my '61.  I like the look, it's just enough to give you better cornering without looking like the front end is extended.  I think that it give the bike a better stance..for lack of a better word to use.

Hope your grinding problem is not expensive.

04customking

Thanks, me too. I don't even want to look into it yet. Hey Al, here's your chance to still beat me.

Little Al

Jim I think you got me beat, I hope so and that your problem is minor, but I promise, I'm right behind ya so watch for me in your mirror, LOL
Little Al

wreck74