May 02, 2024, 04:24:40 PM

News:

Adivse on Andrews Cams

Started by Billy56, March 31, 2009, 02:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy56

I want to install an Andrews cam in my 97 Heritage and I'm not sure which one to go with.  The bike is stock but I want a better performance and a meatier sound. I'm looking at the EV13, EV27, EV3 or EV46.  I'm weigh 180 lbs and sometimes have the old lady on.  I'm hoping to get good advise  from those who are experience with Andrews Cams.

Thanks,
Billy
Billy B

Sonny S.

EV27 & bump the compression up a bit  :up:

Billy56

I hate to sound stupid but how would I pump up the compression?  I don't want to have to do any thing other than bolt it in unless it's easy. Don't want to change springs. Trying to keep the cost down unless Obama wants to share the wealth with me.
Billy B

apendejo

Why just Andrews?
Crane 300-2b
S/E Airfilter setup
Adjustable pushrods (you are gonna need them anyway if you don't want to mess with the rockers and covers)
Kerker or similar slip-ons
Re-jet and dial in the carb (Dynojet kit?)
You will be good to go. Bike will pull like it is supposed to.
AP

codyshop

Just my opinion...
The EV-46 is my all-time favorite cam.  Pros:  Excellent bolt-in power.  Cons:  doesn't come alive until around 3K
The EV-27 is a very close second.  Pros:  Comes on much lower  at 1.5K.  Cons:  not quite the final power of the -46.
Compression boost can be accomplished by "poor man's head milling":  .010" base and .025" head gaskets.
Ray

Hawg Holler

Look for a cam that closes the intakes earlier than stock and you'll get a bump in low-end torque due to increase in cranking pressure. I'm not familiar with Evos, but for the TC 88 and 96, Andrews 21s close the intakes about four degrees ABDC sooner than stock and it makes a big difference in pulling power. You don't want to bump compression with these cams because they already increase the cranking pressure over stock. This is a very reliable option with a minimum of messing with the motor. Exhaust note will have more low-end punch, esp. under a pull. If you go with thinner gaskets you've got to pull the heads. That may not be on your budget or work list.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

crazycalvin

EV13 for light to light and EV27 for a little further, and EV46 for 1/4 mile on up.  Can't vouch for sounds, but this might be good analogy on what type of performance you might get.  Later, Calvin.

bigpete1

i have run both the ev27 and ev46 and for stock bolt in i would put ev 27 in it ,i am goig to put a ev46 in a dyna this week it will have hi compression pistons though ,thanks pete

codyshop

Quote from: crazycalvin on March 31, 2009, 04:36:42 PM
EV13 for light to light and EV27 for a little further, and EV46 for 1/4 mile on up.  Can't vouch for sounds, but this might be good analogy on what type of performance you might get.  Later, Calvin.

Very, very well put.  Ray

quikbike

I heard Crane just went out of business.......wouldn't be using any of there stuff on my bikes now
I hate snow

quikbike

I hate snow

Wingnut

March 31, 2009, 05:19:29 PM #11 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 04:52:56 AM by Wingnut
I have run both the 27 and the 46.  I would take the 46 any day.  That was on a 94 Softail Custom I don't remember what the CR was set at.  Check the Andrews website. Dyna 2000i single fire ign.  The 27 I could never get just right, really don't know why.  I know others who feel the same way.  Starting the bike with the 27 was a problem.  The motor would kick back and screw up the starter bendex, checked everything.  ??  To this day that Softail with the 46 was my favorite bike.   When It comes right down to it, that Evo got pounded on, and romped on, summer after summer, and it just kept on kicken ass.  Sold it for a TC.  ?????????
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

Ridetard

Completed my first EV46 cam install in my 94 EVO yesterday.   I was giddy like a little kid when I test rode her.   Also added a Rheinhart exhaust and rejetted the carb.  Sweet momma, what a difference.  Don't have much to compare it to but in my opinion it was well worth the money and created a whole new experience.  Was on the fence between the 46 and 27, glad I made the choice that I did.

hd06myway

Check out the ANDREWS website or any HD aftermarket parts catalog like Dennis Kurk or J&P Cycles, and read the descriptions ANDREWS gives for each cam.  They do a great job of that (cam desrip), better than any others I've seen.  I had a EV3 in my '89 softail and it put out 80 lb ft tq at the rear wheel.  Go for a cam that gets you tq and comes on early, you'll only see/feel cams that get more HP at the top end when your RPMs are up over 5k.  You'd be surprised how little you spend your time riding over 5k RPMs, other than reving up tp shift.  Reasearching yourself will get you a lot farther and happier in the end than asking 50 people what cams they like.  Opinions are like u - know - what....   :soda:

apendejo

Quote from: quikbike on March 31, 2009, 05:14:37 PM
I heard Crane just went out of business.......wouldn't be using any of there stuff on my bikes now
Why not, it's not like their product is gonna turn to poop when they close shop. There is gonna be a lot of product sitting on shelves for a long time.
AP

mkd

billy! i had an 88 flh with the ev23 in it and at 40000 miles the lobes were getting soft so i went to the ev27.started almost from the same rpm at the bottom but pulled higher on the top end.if i had to put a cam in my flsts it would be the ev 27.it's a gpood cam for stock or near stock compression and a bolt in.keep in mind you will lose some mpg after the install but it will put a smile on your face on acceleration.