April 30, 2024, 03:45:43 PM

News:

clutch grabbin

Started by blackbeard 60, March 31, 2009, 02:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackbeard 60

does anyone have any tips on clutch grab . i tried everything i know .i got new energy 1 plates and new steels new clutch basket . its a belt primary . i had that clutch apart at lest 5 times its never done it before just started when i put energy 1 plates in. maybe its them anyone know if there any good .i dont know much about them. thanks :dgust:

76shuvlinoff

How many miles on the new plates? It seems to me new clutch guts need a little running before they settle in.

Are you supposed to put those plates in dry or soak em in a little (pick your favorite) primary fluid first?

Is the throw out bearing ok?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

blackbeard 60

ya there is around 700 miles on clutch and i soaked them in 50 w for 2 hours and the barring is fine

blackbeard 60

Quote from: blackbeard 60 on March 31, 2009, 03:12:32 PM
ya there is around 700 miles on clutch and i soaked them in 50 w for 2 hours and the barring is fine
and its a dry primary

76shuvlinoff

well hell then I got nothin.
I always had a little better luck running the primary chain a little on the loose side. Truth is I never had my 4 speed clutch dialed just exactly right and I bailed out and bought a Riveria   :embarrassed:

and if I'd paid attention I'd seen the belt drive mentioned above, sorry.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

blackbeard 60

hey man thanks .i think i am gonna throw them energy 1 plates in the trash were they belong and go to riveria

monty101

Mine used to creep. I put some automatic tranny oil in the primary and that fixed that. No more gummed up plates.

blackbeard 60

i dont think thats good for a dry primary

monty101

yeah, guess I need to read everything before I post.... Oh well...I'd get rid of the open primary and put the chain back on anyway. I've got a couple of those belt drives setting around my shop that I took off . got tired of shreding the belts and pushing Buster....

BKACHE

My only guess would be the fingers on the hub.
Did the old plates wear into the studs that hold the friction disks?
If they are grooved the new plates may be in a different position and causing 'unpredictable results'.

My only guess.
Good luck.
Dan

pappyfreebird

run that fuggar up against  tree er teleee pole n shmoke them plates a bit,,nawt brun the tire jus heat the clutch a bit n take a put..prolly pissin in the wind  since belt,,but on ol sporties n jap bikes that creep fer no real reason thats usually a fix..after sit long time run em up against that pole n shmoke a tad n fine again,,fer real fellas i ain shmoked grass fer a few years,,quite a few

blackbeard 60

ya the fingers on the hub are wore a little i don't think enough to grab like that .i had the plates off today and some one told me to bake them in the oven for a bit .only thing that did was piss off the wife stunk like hell .put them back in and did one hell of burn out in the shop. no change

monty101

you know I once had a open primary, I would always adjust the springs so that the clutch spring
outer bracket (that the nuts adjusted against) ran perfectly straight and didn't wobble. It it had any wobble in it at all it would creep. You can watch it spin as with the clutch in ( and even as you kick it over) and see real quick if there's any wobble. The plates have to slide smoothly on the fingers. It they hang up it will creep. If they bind up and hang it will keep the metal from separating from the fiber and it will creep. If every thing is loose and the plates don't bind and the springs are evenly tightened resulting in there being no wobble (when it wobbles the plates have a different amt of torque on each finger and this often results in them binding) it shouldn't creep. I've had problems with a wet primary when the plates get gummed up and won't separate from the steel plates.You shouldn't have that problem.

blackbeard 60

thanks guys for you tips. i toke some sand paper and spent a hour or so on the fingers and got them  nice and smooth .put it to gather and now grabbing  :smiled:

buzzurd

Just installed energy1 disks in the ole ladies 83 FXSB with no problem.Instructions with the plates said soak them in typeF trans fluid for 15 minutes and then wipe off the excess.
Buzzurd