May 02, 2024, 09:28:06 AM

News:

belt alignment

Started by someday69, March 31, 2009, 02:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

someday69

Put on a new belt and sprokets,tire,brake pads,,Now even though I put the spacers back right,,big one one left w/bevel edge towards the outside,and the small one on the right...

The belt seems to be riding right up against the lip on the front pully??
       Is there any adjustment I can do to bring it just a bit away from the lip of the front pully??

someday69

I have the front pulley,on with the lip towards the outside...like it shows in the s.m.

gryphon

When rolling forward the belt will ride to the outside of the front pulley. Turn the wheel backwards and it should walk to the inside.

Panzer

Adjuster bolts on either side of the rear wheel frame.

I jack mine up, align the rear wheel and spin it forward.
Make the necessary adjustments for belt tention and wheel alignment.
Just saying, or am I missing something in your post?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

randallwhitman

It's supposed to ride towards the outside, to the left, up against the lip.  The other side of the pulley has no lip.  Make sure the pulleys are aligned.....use a machinist's straight edge or a long, thin piece of glass.  Put the straight edge up against the outside face of the wheel pulley and see where the straight edge points.  It should point right along the edge of the belt.....exactly parallel to the belt.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

someday69

yea I did the alingment,thing I made a peace that sticks into the axle and then theres this hole drilled into the swingarm....but it's not very accurate...
   Then I do the belt tension with the adjusters....but I just dont see why the belt would ride different with the same spacers...
   I'll take it an expert,,,let'em tell me what I'm missing...hey I saved myself almost 5 1/2hrs labor by truck'in all my tools to vallejo,to my step-fathers place,,to find a place to work on the bike....The all-balls starter made her start right up...now when this ring-gear starts to wear out..I"ll put on the 84tooth rivera,,,someday..

ceduby

Well I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I have spent some time trying to adjust, and deliberetly adjusting the rear wheel off to either side to try and get the belt to run true. When evrything seems to set correctly the belt will ride to the outside of the pulley going forward, and to the inside when going backwards. No abnormal wear showing, so I just assumed that is just the way it is.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match