What's the secret to removing Softail Shocks?

Started by apehair, August 23, 2015, 06:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apehair

I bought the Snap-On tool and managed to loosen both back bolts without too much trouble.  Then I spent a whole lotta time slipping the tool over the bolt, turning it 3 degrees, sliding it off, flipping it, sliding it back on, and turning it another 3 degrees.  Did that a few hundred times and the bolts slowly twisted out.

The problem is, the bolts are both at the point where there's no room between the edge of the frame and the edge of the bolt to slide the Snap-On tool over the bolt, and they're still too tight to turn by hand.  Besides borrowing the orangutan from the zoo to help me turn them by hand, do you fellas know of any tricks to get them the rest of the way out?

This is for a 2005 FXSTS (Springer Softail).

Thx,

ape

04 SE Deuce

August 23, 2015, 06:56:25 PM #1 Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:03:07 PM by 04 SE DEUCE
Jack the bike/frame  up to take any load/weight  off the shock/bolts.  By the time the bolt is backed out to were the Snap-on torque adapter  will no longer go on,  the bolt should turn with an open end wrench.   -Rick

Add:  May need to support  the weight of the wheel and  swingarm.

apehair

Thanks, Rick.

I knew I should have called you.  :-)  I'll support the weight of the wheel and see if that lets me turn it by hand.  I can't get any kind of wrench, pliers, of anything but my fingers into that space.  If I could turn the rest by hand, I'd be set. 

How's the Dyna project going?

Rick

tommy g

Mines an 09 and a heat gun assisted with the removal. Mine were fairly snug as well, maybe they had used red locktite?
Are you trying a different shock?
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

04 SE Deuce

Yeah Rick,  we wanna know whatcha doin?  Ohlins is suppose to have their new softail shocks out around end of the year.
Shouldered pivot bolt is suppose to be loctited. 

On the FXDXI I have a RT gold valve kit for the cartridge forks and have located a company to make a pair of custom fork springs.  Waiting for Ohlin's shocks in Blackline scheme to be available in the piggyback dual adjust model,  going to do Sportster length 14.2"(+.4") with Dyna valving.  -Rick

messed up

Cheap ratchet wrench won't work once broke loose

Horizonmech

The thing most guys lose sight of is Softail Shocks work backwards from conventional "up & downers".
As the suspension compresses the shocks are getting longer, it a bit of a hard thing to see in your mind at first ....... :doh:
"See ya round....if ya don't turn oblong"

04 SE Deuce

And if you have longer shocks to lower the bike they are harder to remove from the frame due to extra length.  Another reason not to lower them.  -Rick

Snowyone

Well it may sound crude but it worked for me.  Was on the road and had a problem with my air shocks so layed out my sleeping bag and layed the bike on its side.  Piece of cake getting the bolts off then with a ratchet wrench and lots of stroke without the table in the way plus no pressure on the rear wheel. :smiled:

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Snowyone on August 25, 2015, 01:39:25 PM
Well it may sound crude but it worked for me.  Was on the road and had a problem with my air shocks so layed out my sleeping bag and layed the bike on its side.  Piece of cake getting the bolts off then with a ratchet wrench and lots of stroke without the table in the way plus no pressure on the rear wheel. :smiled:

Shotgun?

Hossamania

Funny you mention laying it on its side. I know some Gold Wing owners that go on long trips, and change their tires in the dealer parking lot that way. Always draws a crowd.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Snowyone

04 SE Deuce

Karl H.

Quote from: apehair on August 23, 2015, 06:17:25 PM
...The problem is, the bolts are both at the point where there's no room between the edge of the frame and the edge of the bolt to slide the Snap-On tool over the bolt, and they're still too tight to turn by hand.

I did it three weeks ago. Due to the limited travel I couldn't use an open end wrench. So I tried a box-end wrench. When the screws were at the point where there was not enough room between the hex head and the frame to get the wrench off the head I found enough room at the threaded side of the screws to do that. My slimmest box-end wrench did the trick! When the bolts were out I could remove the wrench with the screw.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

CVOThunder

Good info. Bought the Tricky Air Ride system for my 07 FXSTC and maybe some year I'll get time to install it.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

bensfatboy

Quote from: Snowyone on August 25, 2015, 01:39:25 PM

The only time mine has been on it's side is when I really didn't want it to be.

hattitude

Quote from: Hossamania on August 25, 2015, 06:09:18 PM
Funny you mention laying it on its side. I know some Gold Wing owners that go on long trips, and change their tires in the dealer parking lot that way. Always draws a crowd.

I have a good friend with a Goldwing who does that...

When he first told me, I thought he was kidding....

wavlovr1

Rick, you need to get rid of that Springer. I know a guy that will trade his immaculate Deuce for it, you will just need pockets full of hundred dollar bills...