May 10, 2024, 07:00:45 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How Many people ride with protection

Started by Lovetoride007, March 31, 2009, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lovetoride007

When some of you ride out of state or where ever what are some of your forms of protection and if it is a gun, what kind and where do you put it,
Thanks Mike

Evo1

rkrcpa

My protection is the same whether I'm in the car or on the bike, in state or out of state. My protection is with me all the time.

kybagger

Like American Express...Don't leave home with out it.

Evo1

Seriously, I carry a pistol, but only if I am camping and I carry it in my bag strapped to the lugage rack or in the trailer if I'm pulling one. Keep it legal, sadly the odds that you'll get in trouble over gun laws is greater than the odds that you will need it.

Showdog75

Quote from: Lovetoride007 on March 31, 2009, 05:24:37 PM
When some of you ride out of state or where ever what are some of your forms of protection and if it is a gun, what kind and where do you put it,
Thanks Mike

If it's a gun you should always keep it on yourself. Don't leave a gun in your car or on bike. If it gets stolen you are responsible for what happens with your gun.

Lovetoride007

What would be a good choice if I were to buy one , small enough to not be seen

Slammers

I recently purchased a 9mm Glock model 26 (subcompact). Has a 3.5" barrel and is small enough to carry yet large enough to shoot accurately. Well, ok. It's more accurate than the guy pulling the trigger... :embarrassed:
Slam '04 FXDL

Showdog75

Quote from: Lovetoride007 on March 31, 2009, 05:38:46 PM
What would be a good choice if I were to buy one , small enough to not be seen

If money weren't a object my choice would be a Springfield EMP .It's a micro 1911 in 9mm.My fav.

x52gnr

Glock 23, i prefer a handfull and the 15 round clip ensures that I will eventually hit the intended target......
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Lovetoride007

I was thinking of something smaller , I looked at a Rugar LCP lightweight 380, which looks really nice.

x52gnr

I like my guns like my women ....a handfull.......... :smilep:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

thunderalley3

I have an LCP 380, great carry piece, small, concealable and very accurate. I have shot 500 rounds through it so far and am very impressed. I would definately not put a hand gun in a bag or trailer. Our law clearly states that it must be concealed on your person. When I go on the road I usually have 4-5 , always 2 on and loaded, and 2-3 others in reserve, but stowed legally.

Check the availability of the LCP I ordered one for my daughter 3 weeks ago, and it will probably be another month before it arrives. I waited almost 3 months for mine early last fall, and this is from a very busy dealer. Also if you find one, check the serial number as there was a recall on the early ones, mine was one, great service on the recall, had it back in a week, free hat, magazine etc. I think they are definately worth the wait, of course I like my S&W 642, my S&W M&P compact 9, my CZ 75 9,my dan wesson 357, and on and on and on 

Skullfork

Whatever you decide to go with, good-luck finding ammo ...

Big Dan

I'm looking at buying a Kel-Tec P11 (9mm). It comes highly recommended by some friends that are really into guns.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

MMOCGuy

Mike,

I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking here.

Legally, if you want to carry "A Piece" on the road, then best thing is to get a CCW permit from your local sheriff. I have never heard of a state (Except New York City and Washington D.C.) that does not honor a civilian CCW permit from another jurisdiction. Oddly enough, there have been states that would not honor a peace officer's permit to carry a weapon (But that is another topic).

There are as many recommendations as there are pistols so I hesitate to tell you my preference. However, I'll do it anyway. KAHR Arms produces an excellent small auto in both 9mm and .40 Cal S&W. It is small enough to fit in your jeans pocket. The '40 S&W packs enough of a wallop that it will get you out of any trouble you might find yourself in on the road. The biggest thing that will give you problems is - A) carrying without a permit and B) Using the weapon in other than a "Last resort" situation. I don't mean to preach, but, unless you can convince prosecutors that you used it because there simply was no other choice, you will be in a whole lot of trouble (Even with a permit).

For what it's worth. With the above said, I have a CCW permit. On my first trip in 1994, I carried. I did some research to determine which states might give me trouble and, in those states, I disassembled my sidearm and carried the pieces and ammo in different places on my bike. Since then, I have taken two more long road trips and found that I did not really need to have a weapon with me (Just my personal choice). I carry pepper spray in my pocket and figure that is enough to get me out a jam (In my case, all I want is to get away from the situation as quickly as possible with the least amount of hassle.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Norm.

Showdog75

Quote from: MMOCGuy on March 31, 2009, 06:20:09 PM
Mike,

I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking here.

Legally, if you want to carry "A Piece" on the road, then best thing is to get a CCW permit from your local sheriff. I have never heard of a state (Except New York City and Washington D.C.) that does not honor a civilian CCW permit from another jurisdiction. Oddly enough, there have been states that would not honor a peace officer's permit to carry a weapon (But that is another topic).

There are as many recommendations as there are pistols so I hesitate to tell you my preference. However, I'll do it anyway. KAHR Arms produces an excellent small auto in both 9mm and .40 Cal S&W. It is small enough to fit in your jeans pocket. The '40 S&W packs enough of a wallop that it will get you out of any trouble you might find yourself in on the road. The biggest thing that will give you problems is - A) carrying without a permit and B) Using the weapon in other than a "Last resort" situation. I don't mean to preach, but, unless you can convince prosecutors that you used it because there simply was no other choice, you will be in a whole lot of trouble (Even with a permit).

For what it's worth. With the above said, I have a CCW permit. On my first trip in 1994, I carried. I did some research to determine which states might give me trouble and, in those states, I disassembled my sidearm and carried the pieces and ammo in different places on my bike. Since then, I have taken two more long road trips and found that I did not really need to have a weapon with me (Just my personal choice). I carry pepper spray in my pocket and figure that is enough to get me out a jam (In my case, all I want is to get away from the situation as quickly as possible with the least amount of hassle.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Norm.

You can't carry in Illinois and there's others as well .New Jersey also I believe.

WideBoy04

Galatians 2:20

Phu Cat

Yeah, I carry protection.  I carry Him in my heart everywhere I go.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Lovetoride007

Thanks to all that has responded and will after this , alot lot of great info. Norm I appreciate all the advise and if I choose to carry one It wouldn't see day light unless there was no other choice, I have talked my way out of a lot of "Potty mouth" through out the years so that might be what will most likely happen, it has to be a good piece of mind when you are on the road,don't want to find my self feeling helpless if the situation arises, any thing can happen and I want to make sure I have my best chances of getting home.Its a crazy world out there
Thanks Mike

codyshop

I had a vasectomy twenty years ago.  I don't need to carry protection.

Oh, and KelTec P3AT summer, Glock 27 winter. 

Evo1

Quote from: thunderalley3 on March 31, 2009, 06:10:35 PM
I have an LCP 380, great carry piece, small, concealable and very accurate. I have shot 500 rounds through it so far and am very impressed. I would definately not put a hand gun in a bag or trailer. Our law clearly states that it must be concealed on your person. When I go on the road I usually have 4-5 , always 2 on and loaded, and 2-3 others in reserve, but stowed legally.

Check the availability of the LCP I ordered one for my daughter 3 weeks ago, and it will probably be another month before it arrives. I waited almost 3 months for mine early last fall, and this is from a very busy dealer. Also if you find one, check the serial number as there was a recall on the early ones, mine was one, great service on the recall, had it back in a week, free hat, magazine etc. I think they are definately worth the wait, of course I like my S&W 642, my S&W M&P compact 9, my CZ 75 9,my dan wesson 357, and on and on and on 

I know of no state other than either Vermont or New Hampshire that will allow you to carry concealed without a concealed carry permit. Some will allow open carry and some will not. in fact there are some states in which cc permits are almost impossible to get, WI and IL.  In MN if you do not have a cc permit the firearm had better be stowed away where you do not have direct access to it. By the way how would you transport a long gun?

rkrcpa

March 31, 2009, 07:33:40 PM #22 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:36:38 PM by rkrcpa
You should be able to go to your state's website and check for reciprocity info. Look for the Attorney General's page. Here in PA they list each state and whether or not your PA permit is honored. It's good information to have even if it makes you avoid certain states in your travels. Hell, I never liked those states anyway.

BTW, with proper leather you can conceal almost anything, and it's not about being "on the road". Do you stop at mini markets at night? ATM's? Bad guys are everywhere, not just on vacation.

Hossamania

Transporting a long gun in MN.- as long as it's cased and not loaded, you can carry it any way it can be safely stowed on the bike. Had 2 shotguns strapped to my seat- got a few strange looks but no one cut me off!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Dennis The Menace

Never carry, dont need it.  Whatever happens, happens, but I dont live in fear.

Before you flame me, realize I have looked up the barrel of a loaded gun pointed an inch from my face by a crazy asshole robber.  Maybe the next one I see will go off, maybe not.  I dont care, I aint gonna live forever one way or another.  But damn sure aint gonna worry about it.

menace

Lovetoride007

harborjohn

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on March 31, 2009, 07:41:52 PM
Never carry, dont need it.  Whatever happens, happens, but I dont live in fear.

Before you flame me, realize I have looked up the barrel of a loaded gun pointed an inch from my face by a crazy asshole robber.  Maybe the next one I see will go off, maybe not.  I dont care, I aint gonna live forever one way or another.  But damn sure aint gonna worry about it.

menace
I agree with Dennis the Menace...........I dont look for trouble.

DenverBagger

I always wear a condom when riding - just in case...

Rokinrider

Condominiums!!!!! I don't use em..... Mr Ruger p89 is my favorite... :smiled:
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

Princess Butt

Just because a state doesn't reciprocate the CCW permit officially doesn't mean it's not a bad idea. The officer at the scene will look at you hard and determine if you are a risk.

A friend of mine got stopped in a state which didn't recognize his Virginia permit. The officer didn't give him any grief about it either. Luck of the draw.

Another friend of mine carries everywhere, except in the shower. He goes wherever he wants in the US without a problem. Then again, Federal LEO's don't have a big issue with that.

I always carry something on the road. Pepper spray, a knife, and sometimes a snub nose .357. It's loud as they get, but hard to hit a target at more than 50 yards.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Ed Y

Check this site out for hand gun laws state-by-state. http://www.handgunlaw.us/

76shuvlinoff

April 01, 2009, 04:59:26 AM #31 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:53:23 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Before this topic goes in the tank....  IMHO carrying or not is about choices, not about looking for trouble. I keep a fire extinguisher and first aid kits in my home and hope I never have to use them. I've had a gun stuck in my belly and in my face. If it's just me going down then it's just me... but if my wife and daughter are behind me... then what? If there is anything to "fear" then that would be it.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

GaryD

I have guns so I'm not a gun control fanatic, actually I'm just the opposite. :up:
I have been riding for 50 years and have never been close to ever needing a gun or anything else for that matter.  Lucky? --- who knows.
What I would like to see is how many of you have needed one and in short can you give the circumstances on why you needed it.
Just curious.  :pop:
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

madjack

Like showdog75 said, Pricy, but the springfield arms micro, ( mines in .45acp ) , is very compact, extremely well built. wouldn't leave home w/o. I believe it's better to have it, and never need it, than need it, but don't have it. Any way your choise, trial by 12, or carried by six. Gene :potstir:

rkrcpa

My philosophy has always been "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" But then again, I spent ten years behind a mini market counter, I might be a bit jaded.

96dynabagger

Best protection is a good attitude.  
Learn how to defuse volatile situations you can't avoid.

Guns tend to get everyone real nervous when you're pulled over,
and if you ever do have to pull it out, there's gonna be a lot of questions...
Frankly, in all my years, I've never really needed one, but I'm not a trouble magnet.

However, I do carry multiple knives that I love to keep razor sharp and shiny.   :wink:
But even with those, you have to be aware of local laws, like NYC that limits blade length.
(even some of my pocket knives are too long)  If you're reasonable, no one's gonna get upset,
but don't wave around your Rambo blade...

silvercab996

I know the world's getting crazier by the day and CCW permits are as common as cell phones and credit cards, I live in a big city, but oddly enough I don't carry.
I am a gun enthusiast and have all the handloading gear and enough hand guns to carry a different one everyday for a couple of weeks or more.

My guns are kind of a hobby that I started in the late '70s, a few years after I started riding Harleys. I have never been fearful of anything where I felt a gun in my possession would diminish the fear. I travel a lot, alone in the back country, hiking and run into wild animals and cross paths with poisonous snakes. I'll usually capture it with my camera and have a lot of cool pics for the memories. I also have run a business for the last 3 decades and have thought a few times of keeping a gun behind the counter, but never acted upon it.

I have several friends that carry and most all are a bit fearfu of one thing or another and some I'd call down right paranoid. Some seem just itching to get into a confrontation where they can draw, point and pull. Some think I'm crazy, not to pack. If I ever feel the need, I've got the heat.

Dennis The Menace

I can understand why many would want to carry a gun these days, it evens the odds against the cowards who cannot confront you fairly.  Unfortunately, thats the way things are these days...real men have to arm themselves against the pussies who cant confront someone with thier bare hands.  I got no problem with it.  So, I didnt want to give anyone the impression here that I think less of you if you carry.  Its just not something I will do.

Sure was easier back in the day when we settled things with a good old fashioned fist fight.

menace

RVN73

When I got home from Viet Nam I gave away all the guns I owned. Have never felt the need to have one. I am beginning to rethink that. Protection from our government more than the guy on the street. I am not a gun owner but I feel strongly about the 2nd amendment Pay attention!

tireater

I used to carry 20 years ago...but I found myself going into dangerous situations ...like bad bars... too much...
I found it safer to avoid bad places and people and leave the guns at home...But I do carry a knife...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

dmrdn

It is better to have and not need vs need and not have.   :duel: :duel:

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

IndyHarley

each State has different gun laws and as has been said, sadly you may find yourself in more trouble by carrying not in accordance with the State gun laws than having to use it.

Gun Laws by State:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

GaryD

Dennis, even the good old fashioned fist fight isn't what it use to be. My son who was 17 at the time and a school aquaintance got into a little fight down town. They each threw a punch at the exact same time a local cop on his bike and wearing the cutest little shorts rode by. He arrest them and we had to come and pick him up at the station. My son lost a job because of the arrest and had a hard time getting another one. He still has it on his record. He probably would have been in less trouble if he had shot the kid --- just kidding.

In my day if the cops caught me fighting they would have said knock it off and drove away or if we were a smart aleck, they would throw us in the back of the paddy wagon (hope I didn't offend any of my fellow Irishmen) and give us an attitude adjustment and let us go.
I hate all this zero tolerance now. It's gotten out of hand.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

Dennis The Menace

Amen Garyd.  Amen.

And, welcome home, brother!  Thank you for your service in Nam.

Dennis

76shuvlinoff

April 01, 2009, 10:17:32 AM #44 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:21:42 AM by 76shuvlinoff
 ...and I want to say that just because I believe you should have the choice of carrying or not so you can make that call for yourself doesn't mean I do everyday in every situation. Nothing against anyone that does or doesn't.

Even at today's prices, (I don't reload) I get a very high level of enjoyment just knocking holes in paper switching from bottom feeders to wheels to levers. Just wish I was a lot better at it.

To answer the question, do I ride with protection?   When I can. Honestly I am more inclined to avoid "bad" places if I am carrying. I am very conscious of the consequences of my actions.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

wavlovr1

Riding a motorcycle, your chances of needing a gun are a lot lower than chances you may need an EMT. Support your local EMTs...

jb

Panzer

Lovetoride007,
I carry a Walther PP.  Small enough to carry in pants pocket and not heavy.
I have a shoulder holster for it but when you take your leathers off mmmmmm, not good.
Pants pocket, like if a perp. says give my your $$$, I can reach in my pocket and say ooops, here.
I don't carry all the time, just when I know I'll be going in or near seedy places. (Like Specialx1, Jamlazyass, Poor UB, Autoworker's, etc. places.......well you get the idea)
007 carrys a PPK, I'm not Bond.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

V24me

Go on ebay and search for a 'Cold Steel' knife.  It's one of their 'night shades' line which are poly and NOT metal.  They sell them with a metal key ring to make it legal, but you can remove that easily enough.  These weigh only a couple of grams and won't show on metal detectors.  Whether in your boot, or tucked just under your set, you'll forget it's there, until you need it!

I went with the 'Skeen du' sp? style.
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

nc-renegade

April 01, 2009, 02:38:53 PM #48 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 02:42:41 PM by nc-renegade
I come prepared with gun and condoms at all time.

Edit: Gun depends on my mood.  Bersa 380 for concel, Glock 23 for quanity of amo, Targus 45 for cheap thrills, STI 45 for accuracy...sometimes I just pack them all.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

madjack

v24me; I tried that search, but I couldn't find the info. Can you help refine the search a little. tia Gene

V24me

MadJack,
Here is a link to one right now.  They refer to it as 'covert' some sellers use different terms for the night shades collection.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cold-Steel-Undetectable-Covert-Skean-Dhu-Combat-Knife_W0QQitemZ120396643168QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120396643168&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

You may get more info on Cold Steels website as well.  Do a Google search for that.
Val

V24me

Here's another in the traditional boot knife style

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cold-Steel-Undetectable-Covert-Boot-Blade-Combat-Knife_W0QQitemZ120396642727QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120396642727&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

chopper

Funny you should ask...
About an hour and a half ago, I JUST brought home a new Kahr PM9.  (Blacked out version with night sights)
I looked at the LCP (and shot one) but this little thing is SWEET!  but pricey...

These small autos are hard to come by.  Had to drive up near Deetroit to get it.. but the dealer knocked over 200 of list...
no kidding!  Llist is 958 and got it for 729

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

jsachs1

Always,always have my Kel Tec 380 on.Along with that I generally have my Judge on long trips.  :up:
John

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Fxstchewy

Easy to carry, but should protect IF needed. S&W 442

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

chief-z

YORK COUNTY, PA. NEAR THE MD BOARDER

truck

I wear a helmet. Does that count?
I'm coming up on 63 years old and have never had the need to protect myself.
Do any of you have a true story about how a gun helped save your life?
I know times are changing so I'm just wondering.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

blk-betty

S&W 642

Got the CCP this time last year for a cross country trip.  Kept it packed away in the saddle bag and now it's in the drawer next to the bed along with the S&W 686.  I probably only carry it on the bike 10% of the time and never in the car or on my person. 

I prefer the simplicity of a revolver and really like the 642 because it's small, narrow, and the hammer is concealed so it doesn't snag on anything.  Don't have the number of rounds of the auto and may not be as accurate as the high dollar guns but hopefully I'll never have to find out.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

Coyote

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on April 01, 2009, 10:17:32 AM
n at today's prices, (I don't reload) I get a very high level of enjoyment just knocking holes in paper switching from bottom feeders to wheels to levers. Just wish I was a lot better at it.

To answer the question, do I ride with protection?   When I can. Honestly I am more inclined to avoid "bad" places if I am carrying. I am very conscious of the consequences of my actions.

I read this thread earlier and missed this post. THIS is some of the best information any of us can read. I do carry legally with a CCW in CA. However, when I carry, I avoid any situation that is in the least bit dangerous or uncertain. (Which I also do when not carrying). Face it folks, a carry defense weapon is for last resort use when all else to protect ourselves has failed. To say you only carry when you are going to a bad area is ridiculous (as you should have avoided it to begin with). That's exactly when you should say, "I'm not going there". I'm an avid 2nd A supporter but let's be smart about it.  :wtf:

LilEvilAmy

Quote from: jsachs1 on April 01, 2009, 04:17:31 PM
Always,always have my Kel Tec 380 on.Along with that I generally have my Judge on long trips.  :up:
John
Hey, John, we have the same taste in guns!   :smiled:
I too never leave the house without my P3AT.  My Judge is usually within reach, and the 12-gauge Mossberg 500A isn't much farther away.
The Kel Tec is so small that it's easy to carry concealed (yes, I have my CCW).
I am definitely a believer in the "rather have it and not need it, than need it an not have it" school of thought.
Being so close to "Detroilet", I may be more likely to need it than others, though I hope I never do.
We affectionately refer to my collection as the Judge (Taurus), the Jury (KelTec), and the Executioner (Mossberg).
~ Li'l Amy & her "Evil Twin" Snortster ~ Detroit, MI ~  ~

Ptroc

In the summer Kel Tec PF-9

In the winter Glock 30 or Ruger SP101.

I have a PA license and am pursuing a Utah out of state which will give me 35 states to carry in without issues.

P

Alvin

Has a gun every saved my life?

Answer is yes......I was on my honeymoon visiting Chicago and was in Old Town, early afternoon when my wife and I were accosted by a salt and pepper team.  In this case, only showing the weapon(1911) caused them to stop and flee down an alley.  That was 27 years ago.  I'm also a NRA instructor and used to teach Personal Defense Classes.....have a ton of stories of how different poeple defended their lives and lives of their loved ones from "the bad guys".  Pick up a copy of one of the NRA publications and there is always a section on citizens stopping criminals intent on harm. I have a CCW from my state and one from Florida(since most states will honor Florida's permit) and usually if I'm going out of town I carry.  I always compare carrying a gun to having a fire extinguisher........you hope you never need it, but if you do need it it's ready. 

76shuvlinoff

April 02, 2009, 08:48:28 AM #62 Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:03:58 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Quote from: trück on April 01, 2009, 07:33:11 PM
I wear a helmet. Does that count?
I'm coming up on 63 years old and have never had the need to protect myself.
Do any of you have a true story about how a gun helped save your life?
I know times are changing so I'm just wondering.

At 49 myself the honest answer here for me is No. ... but having it never hurt me either. As mentioned above it's like a fire extinguisher or a first-aid kit, just another tool in the box and what matters is what someone does with that tool.   If it's truly a self defense tool and it gives someone comfort to have it then there's no harm. No inanimate object is evil, evil resides the hearts of men. 

edit to add:  Avoidance is truly the key. You greatly reduce the potential for trouble if you just are not there.  For instance I love a beer as much as the next guy, actually I like whiskey better as I get all the affects without the load. However in Michigan the law says your blood alcohol content limit for ccw is .02.  (The driving limit is .08). So I make a choice to modify my behavior and not "be there" .

- Ernest Hemingway

Jeffd

ahhh I dunno know I heard guns were dangerous. 

Funny thing, I carry 10 hours a day and ride 10 hours a day.  On my own time last thing I wanna do is carry (never do in fact), first thing I wanna do is ride.  Its all about priorities. LOL.

I have done lots of traveling with guys that carry and trust me I can not think of a single time where I felt safer because they were carrying.  Unless someone is extremely well trained and has the gun where they can actually get to it, it is not going to do any good...excuse me while I go for my ankle holster or dig in the bottom of my saddle bag.  If it is not on your right hip in plain view forget about it.

truck

In the mid 80's I used to pick up a trailer full of produce in Philly twice a week.
There was always this big tubby looking guy there buying produce that had a holstered gun on his hip. Looked like a Buntline Special.
Wyatt Erp wanabe I guess.
It was pretty intimating.

~JC~

My protection is my head. I tend not to go places where I think I would need a gun to shoot my way out to safety. ~JC~
If I had to understand, You wouldn't explain.

Coff 06

I value all my guns too much to have some hard nose cop take it and never get it back.JMHO  Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

jsachs1

I am definitely a believer in the "rather have it and not need it, than need it an not have it" school of thought.
Right on Amy. :up:
Also being close to,and going through Miami(bad sections)I feel a lot more secure.Google So.Fla.good samaritans,and see how many were lucky to be packing. Also being in a retail business,in this economy,you never know what will come through the door. :crook:
Besides,I'm too old to run fast or fight. :cry:
John

apes

I think the only time I might need anything where I can't either talk my way out of a situation or walk away, is if were camped out and pretty much augured in and in that situation the bad guy would have targeted me ans would be after something with no good on his mind.  In this case any protection that was stashed during the day would be out and handy at night.

taz95dog

i like the sig p-220,a little bulky but shoots great.  hey amy, with bill around,why do you need a gun??? :teeth:...bill...
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

Ultrashovel

I don't carry anything in California. If they catch you with a loaded weapon, say a handgun, it's a misdemeanor and you won't ever be able to buy another gun, at least in California, and probably not anywhere. You could continue to own some other guns but you can't buy any more. That's the Califonria rule for any gun-related violation.

It's almost impossible to get a permit here, either.

Coyote

Quote from: Ultrashovel on April 02, 2009, 06:31:58 PM
I don't carry anything in California. If they catch you with a loaded weapon, say a handgun, it's a misdemeanor and you won't ever be able to buy another gun, at least in California, and probably not anywhere. You could continue to own some other guns but you can't buy any more. That's the Califonria rule for any gun-related violation.

Depends on the county you live in. Actually many aren't too bad. The big city counties are a real problem. This map shows what counties are good and not so good.

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/7158-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Coyote on April 02, 2009, 06:44:24 PM

Depends on the county you live in. Actually many aren't too bad. The big city counties are a real problem. This map shows what counties are good and not so good.

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/7158-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html

I'm in Sacramento County and I woldn't even bother to ask. The authorities in Isleton were giving out permits to all comers a fewyears ago and the people in Sacramento made them stop.

Coyote

Quote from: Ultrashovel on April 02, 2009, 07:01:43 PM
Quote from: Coyote on April 02, 2009, 06:44:24 PM

I'm in Sacramento County and I woldn't even bother to ask. The authorities in Isleton were giving out permits to all comers a fewyears ago and the people in Sacramento made them stop.

yup, your are screwed in Sac cnty right now. Move or wait for the many legal cases in progress right now. Sucks, I know..

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Twin 7.92mm Spandaus mounted on the tank.  :wink:

Seriously, here in the UK, if you`re caught carrying any kind of firearm or knife for whatever reason, its a minimum five year jail term. We`re not even allowed those multi-tools that clip on your belt if it includes a knife.
I guess this is because the national pass time of our ten to fifteen year olds is stabbing each other to death and in some cases shooting each other  over "Gang territories."  :angry:
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

Sonny S.

"How Many people ride with protection"

I reccon I better start......      :sswim:

Tre_11 FLHX

11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

digger384

S&W 640 .357 inside left boot w/ankle holster. Fits so good I forget it is there. :up:

EZGlider

I could tell ya, BUT!!!!!

Kel-Tec PF-9

RK101

Lets just say I have a S&W .40 Cal Model 4013.    Mossberg cruzer for the house. :wink:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Redserge

I am a motorcop I ride with side arm protection when I am working it is part of my duties at work. Off duty in Canada there is no one who can carry legally unless it is job related. A permit to carry is impossible to get for private citizens gun club members get a permit to convey which has strict requirements and conditions. When I go stateside I ride with a least four other riders we are all LEO so we use our eyes and ears to avoid trouble. In Canada you can ride all across our land and never once feel that you need a firearm. Now of course if youlook for trouble it can be found and our criminal element are well armed and can be as nasty as they come.

In Canada a private citizen can not carry a fire arm, pepper spray, expandable baton brass knuckles nun chucks throwing stars or any device or implement used to increase crushing power of a fist. Flick blades, switch blades or any blade that opens with centrifugal force or a spring are illegal. Any knife worn must be in a sheath and on the belt and visible at all times. A studded belt or bracelet or even a leather jacket with heavy studs on the arms can fall into the illegal definition. Now here is the real kicker "ANYTHING" you use as a weapon even a stick of wood can land you with a a "possesion of a weapon dangerous to the public peace". This law is only used on the aggressor in an attack or someone threatening or menacing others. If you wear a mask while engaged in criminal activity it adds one year to your sentence, possesing a firearm can add five years to your sentence.

I usually venture into Maine, New Hampshire and Mass when I travel on bike trips. I have never felt unsafe in the USA but then again my mates and I are trained to spot, observe, evaluate and decide on what and when so it keeps us where we should be.

Superheat9

I do carry a fire arm. Mostly because my wife is with me. I am 55yrs old and have no illusion about the outcome of a fight with a 25 yr old. I carry a Walter P22. It will get the job done, and the chances of it passing through my target and hitting someone else is very limited. I do not drink or enter bars when carrying. One thing you need to be very sure of is... if you bring it out can you pull the triger.. if you are not 100% sure don't carry it.

IBARider

Quote from: Superheat9 on April 03, 2009, 07:17:18 AM
. One thing you need to be very sure of is... if you bring it out can you pull the triger.. if you are not 100% sure don't carry it.

Absolutely!  The purpose of a piece is to kill.  period..  It's not for intimidation or compensation for any other short comings!  I quit packing because I'm one of those who shouldn't.  I found myself getting involved in situations that otherwise I would not have without the gun.  Eventually I would have killed someone when it could have been avoided.  But that's just me and now I avoid those situations.  kudos to you responsible gun bearers...   Home defense is a different matter.  if you come in uninvited you will go out in a bag. 
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

takwolf

April 03, 2009, 08:17:12 AM #83 Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:19:25 AM by takwolf
The purpose of a gun is to STOP THE THREAT! Sometimes that can be as simple as pulling the gun. But, whenever you pull it, do intend to shoot the target, and feel you are in fear of your life.
I carry, either a .357 snub nose, or a Springfield Champion LW, in .45 auto. I have a CCW.
However, like wearing a helmet, if you CHOSE not to wear one, that's cool too. And, no, I do not wear a helmet.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

76shuvlinoff

Yes if you use it and you go to court, and you will go to court, you used it to stop the threat, period. 

- Ernest Hemingway

takwolf

Absolutely correct 76! And if the person is no longer around, you can always say, "He said he was going to kill me."  :wink:
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

IBARider

I have used it to successfully "stop the threat" without killing.  However, if you understand the purpose is to kill, you are ready to pull the trigger if need be.  I don't know that any 'piece' mentioned here was intended to 'not' kill.  From the accuracy to power, the intent of a bullet is to kill...
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Bladesmith

Here in New Mexico the law specfically states that you can carry a gun concealed,loaded on a motorcycle,or person while riding.......No permit of any sort required.....Once you leave the bike the gun must stay in your bags,unless you have a CCW.....conncealed carry withour a CCW will get you a 3rd degree misdomeaner ticket......same as j-walking.....You can always carry open.........no permit required!..........That's 'cauce we're the Wild West !!!....Yee Haa !!

PS...When in NM assume Everyone is packing......
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Sonny S.

I use to carry all the time but haven't in about 20 years. Ruger 357 Security Six 2 3/4" in a shoulder holster. I wore a regular old leather vest every day and it wasn't noticeable.... that's been a while.
Funny thing is I never feel the need to carry anymore.

CDeucer

I prefer shotguns. I don't see so very well anymore............ Bond Arms Snake Slayer 410 derringer. Never know when your gonna run into a snake on the road.  http://www.bondarms.com/retail/

rad3766

I carry a multi-tool buried somewhere in my tool bag.
Ive ridden thru 38 states and 8 Canadian provinces and have never been into a situation where I thought I wish I had a gun.
I stay outta sketchy lookin areas and try to stay aware of my surroundings.  :idea:
98 FLHTPI Miss Suzy HOG, AMA, IBA, PGR

nightrainingwheels

nice little carry piece,ruger sp101 can shoot 38 spl or 357 magnun.and i was very impressed by its accuracy.and its stainless steel.

Deye76

My protection is with me 6 days a week, guess which days :wink:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Panzer

April 03, 2009, 07:27:47 PM #94 Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:22:10 AM by Panzer
Redserge,
I read your thread with interest, both putting myself (in mind) in Canada and here in the states.
In Britain, Australia and Canada, is it not true that the criminal has easy pickings knowing the average citizen in these countries are unarmed?
I'm not trying to start a debate, but don't you think that is a little crazy passing laws that leave the ordinary Joe unprotected?

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Scurvy

Holy crap, scooter, that just gave me flashbacks of when I lived in SC.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Jeffd

geez I guess that would be a good argument against the right to bear arms.  Never under estimate the stupidity of some people.

apes

Quote from: Panzer on April 03, 2009, 07:27:47 PM
Redserge,
I'm not trying to start a debate, but don't you think that is a little crazy passing laws that leave the ordinary Joe unprotected?

Panzer

I am a fan of the right to bear arms but in the eyes of those who want to take our firearms away from us, they think that the protection of the average Joe is up to law enforcement and that we should call them when when we are confronted with dangerous people.

LilEvilAmy

yep.  when seconds count, the police are only minutes away ....
~ Li'l Amy & her "Evil Twin" Snortster ~ Detroit, MI ~  ~

EZGlider

Well, its kinda like insurance or a spare tire in a vehicle.  You really don't need it UNTILL you need it!  Then it is really bad  to be without it! :wink:

Be careful pulling it without intent to use it.  Ironic BUT not using it may get you convicted of ADW since an assault with a gun lies in the mind of the assaulted not the intent of the guy with the gun.  IF you pull it to scare someone off, the question of whether a REASONABLE person would have felt his or another's life was in danger.  In most places, fear for your life or the life of another is the ONLY justification for pulling a weapon.  In other words, preemptive pointing a gun is not permitted and is considered assault.  There are exceptions but a good rule of thumb is don't pull it unless you feel you HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO SHOOT TO SAVE YOUR LIFE.

Redserge

Panzer, citizens can own guns in Canada they just can not carry them unless they are a bona fide gun club member and then only to and from the club. Long guns and hand guns must all be registered ( do not get me started on that billion dollar fiasco) so technically the Govt knows where every legally registered gun is and who owns them.

You can collect hand guns and thus get a permit to own. You can also own hunting rifles and the like. There are a lot of handguns floating around up here in the black market owned by criminals and also by normal folks who do not want the Govt knowing everything.

I like it up here but I always assume that everyone I am dealing with has a some weapons whether it be a gun a knife or a big old stick. We sieze a lot of guns every year where I work population 130 thousand or more.

In Great Britain they outlawed guns but the murder rate stayed the same.  The killers resorted to stabbing, poison, strangulation etc. They thought that in a heated situation not having a gun at hand would save a life , wrong thought there cause if someone snaps they will throttle you or drown you if they really must do you in.

Panzer

Redserge,
I know what you're saying, I do!
Like has been said many times: ban guns and only criminal will have guns.
My son is a LEO in Jackson Hole, WY. & I know what he goes through, especially on Friday & Saturday nights, not mentioning the rest of the time.

I quote you as saying: "In Great Britain they outlawed guns but the murder rate stayed the same".
I believe the murder rate would drop if those that were murdered could have protected themselves.

We talk of wars as in Iraq and never know when a soldier is gone to be killed, but some day the lucky ones have a chance to go home.
My son, you and all the other LEO's are on the front lines everyday, war if you will, with the perp's and I highly respect that and what you do for the rest of us.

In closing, just let me say, something that sticks in mind, "guns don't kill, people kill".   It's like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donald being fat.
Like I always tell my son, and I'll tell you the same, "You be careful out there" and thx for your reply.

Panzer

truck

Another three dead cops......Pittsburgh PA.

Afraid Obama was going to take his guns. There were other issues with him too.

DejaVu

Quote from: chopper on April 01, 2009, 04:07:32 PM
Funny you should ask...
About an hour and a half ago, I JUST brought home a new Kahr PM9.  (Blacked out version with night sights)
I looked at the LCP (and shot one) but this little thing is SWEET!  but pricey...

These small autos are hard to come by.  Had to drive up near Deetroit to get it.. but the dealer knocked over 200 of list...
no kidding!  Llist is 958 and got it for 729

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

RevFastEddy

S&W 5 shot airweight revolver 38 cal 1 1/2" barrel, hammerless. Small easy doubleaction...... I used to carry a 45 but it was just too much hastle. the 38 slides away like a bill fold. Oh yes Get a CCW permit first...
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

Clintster

I bought the S&W 442 when we started getting the CCW permits.  Haven't followed through getting one. I like te revolver for a bedside weapon.
Drive fast, take chances

mark98012

I have a carry permit, when on the road (long trip) I always carry in the states that recognize it. In states that don't, it's still packed. I used to carry a .380 but now a .40 cal. My new motto is "carry the biggest caliber that you are comfortable with shooting". A little pocket .22 is easy to hide but it may only just piss somebody off, a .40 will stop him cold. I have a Kahr CW40, very little (composite frame) and easy to conceal. Just my opinion.

Mark
Mark98012

ramcr913

12" crescent wrench, for tightening up loose nuts.
Sig .40 w/Laser dot,for nuts too loose too tighten.
Valid Texas CHL.

help-u2

read this whole post before i replied....  i give JC credit for typing my first thought...
the best protection is on your shoulders and inside (if you choose) your helmet.

THINK.   its your brain.  i have carried professionally years ago...

on occasion still carry....almost always have mace, mini mag light, buck knife on my person..
but avoiding situations is the best defence.  like, as not needing a firearm....
but stuff does happen....trust your gut.... if you get up one morning and you head says tuck the officers model somewhere.... do it....
and yes, a firearm has saved my life on occasion...granted not in the last 30 years....
but still....

several riding buddies are current sheriff officers.  none carry off duty.  the weight bogs them down...
not sure if its the wieght of weapon or responsibility....
here in wild west AZ open carry is common and legal....ccw is pretty much a class, background check and a "shall issue"   

my only problem last few years was with a black bear up around peyson....and my carry peice would have only mad him mad...

harleyjt

Never leave home without it (rarely at least).  I figure the bad guys have theirs. This at least gives me a chance to be on equal footing with them.  KelTec 380.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

help-u2

a P.S.  as many of us here are old farts.

there is a rule of law concerning disparity of force. 
i sorta glassed over it in cop school 40 years ago.( young and strong)..but it stands as something to concider now..
our antagongist dosent have to be armed prior to us defending ourselves. 
some of us cant turn and run.  hell, i can barely walk....if assulted by a 20 something person in good health, unarmed, he has the potential to do great bodily harm or cause death to me...

one would have the right to defend him/her self with deadly means even if other is not armed...

check your local laws....but the old saying what would a REASONABLE person do would usually stand in a court.  and trust me, if you must drop the hammer you will go before a grand jury or maybe even court to determine if shooting was acceptable....
better to think your way through a problem and use any  weapon as a last resort...

be safe  out there ....and above all be smart

the Grump

Just got an SW40. Nice enough, small enough to carry, but that's for the house. I agree with Dennis. Besides, what if.. like some cops have.. you make a mistake. Shoot the wrong person, whatever. That's just not good karma. Which is not to say some of these mother F@#$%rs don't need killin'. Ah, screw it, do you what feel like.

RK101

Hope I never have to use it, and only would as and absolute last resort. I'm not out to commit a crime or be a victim of a violent crime.  KelTec 380 or a S&W 40 cal depending on time of year. Pa Conceal Carry Permit is legal in 25 states. For the house the Mossburg Cruiser 20 Ga. is the weapon of choice. Hope we all never have to shoot anything more than a piece of paper or a water bottle with any of them.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

76shuvlinoff

Renewed my cpl 2 weeks ago, just got the confirmation in the mail yesterday.  Fortunately I haven't had to use or even display a weapon in a defensive situation for my first 49 years and I'm hoping for 49 more.... but I sure like having my options.

When this thread first surfaced I posted that when I carry I am even more cautious about the situations I put myself into then when I'm not. The responsibility is huge and IMHO the consequences of a lapse in judgment would be legally and psychologically extreme .
 - Ernest Hemingway

chopper

Nice l'il piece there, ain't it Wideboy?       :wink:
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

hd06myway

L-

Those that carry semi autos need to put about 100 -200 rounds through them to make sure they function correctly and then stay with the ammo that works.  I have attended, not shot, two IDPA matches with my neighbor as she is hooked on this stuff.  Noticed the Springfied XD (something) and a Kahr had some problems.  The Sigs and Glocks worked perfect.

L-

02roadcling

02roadcling
NW corner of Washington