May 10, 2024, 12:27:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

How Many people ride with protection

Started by Lovetoride007, March 31, 2009, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lovetoride007

When some of you ride out of state or where ever what are some of your forms of protection and if it is a gun, what kind and where do you put it,
Thanks Mike

Evo1

rkrcpa

My protection is the same whether I'm in the car or on the bike, in state or out of state. My protection is with me all the time.

kybagger

Like American Express...Don't leave home with out it.

Evo1

Seriously, I carry a pistol, but only if I am camping and I carry it in my bag strapped to the lugage rack or in the trailer if I'm pulling one. Keep it legal, sadly the odds that you'll get in trouble over gun laws is greater than the odds that you will need it.

Showdog75

Quote from: Lovetoride007 on March 31, 2009, 05:24:37 PM
When some of you ride out of state or where ever what are some of your forms of protection and if it is a gun, what kind and where do you put it,
Thanks Mike

If it's a gun you should always keep it on yourself. Don't leave a gun in your car or on bike. If it gets stolen you are responsible for what happens with your gun.

Lovetoride007

What would be a good choice if I were to buy one , small enough to not be seen

Slammers

I recently purchased a 9mm Glock model 26 (subcompact). Has a 3.5" barrel and is small enough to carry yet large enough to shoot accurately. Well, ok. It's more accurate than the guy pulling the trigger... :embarrassed:
Slam '04 FXDL

Showdog75

Quote from: Lovetoride007 on March 31, 2009, 05:38:46 PM
What would be a good choice if I were to buy one , small enough to not be seen

If money weren't a object my choice would be a Springfield EMP .It's a micro 1911 in 9mm.My fav.

x52gnr

Glock 23, i prefer a handfull and the 15 round clip ensures that I will eventually hit the intended target......
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Lovetoride007

I was thinking of something smaller , I looked at a Rugar LCP lightweight 380, which looks really nice.

x52gnr

I like my guns like my women ....a handfull.......... :smilep:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

thunderalley3

I have an LCP 380, great carry piece, small, concealable and very accurate. I have shot 500 rounds through it so far and am very impressed. I would definately not put a hand gun in a bag or trailer. Our law clearly states that it must be concealed on your person. When I go on the road I usually have 4-5 , always 2 on and loaded, and 2-3 others in reserve, but stowed legally.

Check the availability of the LCP I ordered one for my daughter 3 weeks ago, and it will probably be another month before it arrives. I waited almost 3 months for mine early last fall, and this is from a very busy dealer. Also if you find one, check the serial number as there was a recall on the early ones, mine was one, great service on the recall, had it back in a week, free hat, magazine etc. I think they are definately worth the wait, of course I like my S&W 642, my S&W M&P compact 9, my CZ 75 9,my dan wesson 357, and on and on and on 

Skullfork

Whatever you decide to go with, good-luck finding ammo ...

Big Dan

I'm looking at buying a Kel-Tec P11 (9mm). It comes highly recommended by some friends that are really into guns.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

MMOCGuy

Mike,

I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking here.

Legally, if you want to carry "A Piece" on the road, then best thing is to get a CCW permit from your local sheriff. I have never heard of a state (Except New York City and Washington D.C.) that does not honor a civilian CCW permit from another jurisdiction. Oddly enough, there have been states that would not honor a peace officer's permit to carry a weapon (But that is another topic).

There are as many recommendations as there are pistols so I hesitate to tell you my preference. However, I'll do it anyway. KAHR Arms produces an excellent small auto in both 9mm and .40 Cal S&W. It is small enough to fit in your jeans pocket. The '40 S&W packs enough of a wallop that it will get you out of any trouble you might find yourself in on the road. The biggest thing that will give you problems is - A) carrying without a permit and B) Using the weapon in other than a "Last resort" situation. I don't mean to preach, but, unless you can convince prosecutors that you used it because there simply was no other choice, you will be in a whole lot of trouble (Even with a permit).

For what it's worth. With the above said, I have a CCW permit. On my first trip in 1994, I carried. I did some research to determine which states might give me trouble and, in those states, I disassembled my sidearm and carried the pieces and ammo in different places on my bike. Since then, I have taken two more long road trips and found that I did not really need to have a weapon with me (Just my personal choice). I carry pepper spray in my pocket and figure that is enough to get me out a jam (In my case, all I want is to get away from the situation as quickly as possible with the least amount of hassle.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Norm.

Showdog75

Quote from: MMOCGuy on March 31, 2009, 06:20:09 PM
Mike,

I'm not exactly sure of what you are asking here.

Legally, if you want to carry "A Piece" on the road, then best thing is to get a CCW permit from your local sheriff. I have never heard of a state (Except New York City and Washington D.C.) that does not honor a civilian CCW permit from another jurisdiction. Oddly enough, there have been states that would not honor a peace officer's permit to carry a weapon (But that is another topic).

There are as many recommendations as there are pistols so I hesitate to tell you my preference. However, I'll do it anyway. KAHR Arms produces an excellent small auto in both 9mm and .40 Cal S&W. It is small enough to fit in your jeans pocket. The '40 S&W packs enough of a wallop that it will get you out of any trouble you might find yourself in on the road. The biggest thing that will give you problems is - A) carrying without a permit and B) Using the weapon in other than a "Last resort" situation. I don't mean to preach, but, unless you can convince prosecutors that you used it because there simply was no other choice, you will be in a whole lot of trouble (Even with a permit).

For what it's worth. With the above said, I have a CCW permit. On my first trip in 1994, I carried. I did some research to determine which states might give me trouble and, in those states, I disassembled my sidearm and carried the pieces and ammo in different places on my bike. Since then, I have taken two more long road trips and found that I did not really need to have a weapon with me (Just my personal choice). I carry pepper spray in my pocket and figure that is enough to get me out a jam (In my case, all I want is to get away from the situation as quickly as possible with the least amount of hassle.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Norm.

You can't carry in Illinois and there's others as well .New Jersey also I believe.

WideBoy04

Galatians 2:20

Phu Cat

Yeah, I carry protection.  I carry Him in my heart everywhere I go.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Lovetoride007

Thanks to all that has responded and will after this , alot lot of great info. Norm I appreciate all the advise and if I choose to carry one It wouldn't see day light unless there was no other choice, I have talked my way out of a lot of "Potty mouth" through out the years so that might be what will most likely happen, it has to be a good piece of mind when you are on the road,don't want to find my self feeling helpless if the situation arises, any thing can happen and I want to make sure I have my best chances of getting home.Its a crazy world out there
Thanks Mike

codyshop

I had a vasectomy twenty years ago.  I don't need to carry protection.

Oh, and KelTec P3AT summer, Glock 27 winter. 

Evo1

Quote from: thunderalley3 on March 31, 2009, 06:10:35 PM
I have an LCP 380, great carry piece, small, concealable and very accurate. I have shot 500 rounds through it so far and am very impressed. I would definately not put a hand gun in a bag or trailer. Our law clearly states that it must be concealed on your person. When I go on the road I usually have 4-5 , always 2 on and loaded, and 2-3 others in reserve, but stowed legally.

Check the availability of the LCP I ordered one for my daughter 3 weeks ago, and it will probably be another month before it arrives. I waited almost 3 months for mine early last fall, and this is from a very busy dealer. Also if you find one, check the serial number as there was a recall on the early ones, mine was one, great service on the recall, had it back in a week, free hat, magazine etc. I think they are definately worth the wait, of course I like my S&W 642, my S&W M&P compact 9, my CZ 75 9,my dan wesson 357, and on and on and on 

I know of no state other than either Vermont or New Hampshire that will allow you to carry concealed without a concealed carry permit. Some will allow open carry and some will not. in fact there are some states in which cc permits are almost impossible to get, WI and IL.  In MN if you do not have a cc permit the firearm had better be stowed away where you do not have direct access to it. By the way how would you transport a long gun?

rkrcpa

March 31, 2009, 07:33:40 PM #22 Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:36:38 PM by rkrcpa
You should be able to go to your state's website and check for reciprocity info. Look for the Attorney General's page. Here in PA they list each state and whether or not your PA permit is honored. It's good information to have even if it makes you avoid certain states in your travels. Hell, I never liked those states anyway.

BTW, with proper leather you can conceal almost anything, and it's not about being "on the road". Do you stop at mini markets at night? ATM's? Bad guys are everywhere, not just on vacation.

Hossamania

Transporting a long gun in MN.- as long as it's cased and not loaded, you can carry it any way it can be safely stowed on the bike. Had 2 shotguns strapped to my seat- got a few strange looks but no one cut me off!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Dennis The Menace

Never carry, dont need it.  Whatever happens, happens, but I dont live in fear.

Before you flame me, realize I have looked up the barrel of a loaded gun pointed an inch from my face by a crazy asshole robber.  Maybe the next one I see will go off, maybe not.  I dont care, I aint gonna live forever one way or another.  But damn sure aint gonna worry about it.

menace