May 01, 2024, 08:06:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Generator

Started by cajun1957a, April 01, 2009, 05:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajun1957a

Here's a really dumb question.  Looking at the generator mounted on the motor from the primary side, which pole is armature and which one is feild?  Neither are marked.

randy

olpigiron

Randy,

On My Model 65A - 12V  ;   Forward Post = A      Rear Post = F

Hope This Helps!!!!
Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

cajun1957a

I had both gennys tested today and they are fine.  Thats good.  I installed one this afternoon.  Made sure all was hooked up proper and still no charging.  the wires are correct and have continuity.  A buzzing sound came from the voltage regulator after i put a charge on it.  It was very warm too.  I had to tap it for our five times to stop this noice.   Could this be it...a bad voltage regulator?  Im pulling my hair out on this.  i even tried a different reg off a 75 xlch although i dont know for sure if its any good.

randy

olpigiron

Have U Flashed the Generator:( Not the Trench Coat Kind of Flash  :embarrassed:)

As in Flashing/polarize always make sure all wires are correct and hooked up . leave ign switch off take a piece of wire, touch the positive terminal of the battery then momentarily touch the armature terminal of the generator (not the field) that should do it a decent spark is usually ok but a heavy spark might indicate a short, U  May Have to do a bike as Many as 3 times  before it works!!!!

Cheers....
The Sun Don't Shine On The Same Dogs Ass Everyday....
OPI

Hillside Motorcycle

As said, you must polarize the generator.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"