May 01, 2024, 03:59:26 AM

News:

Wet Primary Conversion

Started by drs23, April 01, 2009, 06:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drs23

Am working on an 80"-'80 and want to convert from the engine oil running thru the primary back to the tank. I'm fairly certain about removing the Tee in the line that runs to the primary for oiling but what does one do with the return from the rear of the primary bottom to the case?

Thanks,

Dale
So many roads...So little time...

easyricer

You'll have to remove the primary case, remove the pipe fittings and replace them with plugs. Then you'll have to plug up the oil suction hole behind your oil pump. You'll also have to plug the feed line from the oil pump to the primary. It'll be a good time to also check out the tranny gaskets and seals.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

76shuvlinoff

and don't plug the case breather
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

MMOCGuy

OK guys.

I'm trying to make a post-response here with some pictures of the the process for sealing the primay. I've been through every "Help" and "FAQ" listing I can find but I can't figure out how to attach a file or picture to the message. Can anyone help me out by "walking me through it"?

Thanks, I appreciate any help I can get.

Norm.

76shuvlinoff

go down below the box that appears when you reply
click additional options
click browse
go to attachment you wish to attach and click open
then click post

disclaimer, I've been wrong before  :teeth:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pappyfreebird

April 01, 2009, 03:33:01 PM #5 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:35:03 PM by pappyfreebird
norm brutha  sns zz way will make n attachment ,,werks as he said,,er ya kin put one in the post by usin url (yea ol url aways werks) n the likes of photobucket..ifn i kin do you should be able ta do it drunk with one hand whilst havin sex..once you respond i shall delete my mess as ta nawt ruin a real thread

76shuvlinoff

Photobucket is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.  The problem with any of it is getting the attachment file or image reduced enough to post em.  I'm not good at it by any means.  I save stuff to my comp from a Kodak program but reduce em by at least 50% before I save em to Photobucket.  I have a lot of pics on my pc but when I'm on this laptop I can't get to them. However that's where Photobucket (or any other file sharing deal) shines.

Nice Enfield paps!
 - Ernest Hemingway

MMOCGuy

Hey Pappy,

Is that one of the "New" '55 Enfield 500's that are being produced in India??? Beautiful machine. I'd love to have one but there is no way we can register them here in the "Great" (Ugh) state of California.

Norm.

MMOCGuy

Well, let's try it again and see if it works. If it does this time, I'll attach the second picture to the next response.

Norm.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

MMOCGuy

Ah Ha !!!! Success. :soda:

OK, Here is the second picture.

Norm.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

MMOCGuy

Thanks, man. That's what I needed. I tried it before that way but was trying to do both pics at the same time. Maybe there was something about that or, maybe just the site was down, er sumpin'. Anyway, I got 'em on so we are good to go. :up:

Norm.

drs23

Thanks guys :up:

Should have 'em back from the plater early next week and this 401k project can go down the road!

Thanks again,

Dale
So many roads...So little time...

pappyfreebird

April 02, 2009, 12:23:37 PM #12 Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:16:20 AM by pappyfreebird
well drs ,,now that we kin all post pix wed like ta see em heyhuh...
hey norm..i asked that long time back..seems ony one flies per attatchment..mebbe usin ol url n the bucket i cat kin post mo n all in the post dig!  ok ok ill fug off ,,wahahahaha

MMOCGuy

Fab Kevin

For what it's worth - I've done a few of them and have never had to remove the inner primary.  It isn't as easy to get to the fittings, but MUCH less work that removing and replacing the entire primary.

76shuvlinoff

When I first did mine I just chopped and plugged hoses until I had it all torn down for for some scheduled work.
 - Ernest Hemingway

fbn ent

Dale, when you put in the oil it doesn't take very much. Just enough to touch the clutch basket when on the side stand. Too much and you WILL have clutch problems. The oil is flung around the housing to keep everything lubed, not an oil bath.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta