May 08, 2024, 02:17:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baker or S.E + Compensaver

Started by azlou66, September 03, 2015, 06:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rageglide

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 04, 2015, 09:20:07 AM
Quote from: rageglide on September 04, 2015, 08:37:48 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 03, 2015, 07:24:55 PM
If you're going to continue to run ATF, then it's a no brainer to me to use the SE and the Compensaver. You could call Baker and see what they say about ATF and their unit, but I bet they say they wouldn't recommend it. What I found with the Barnett carbon fiber discs was ATF would cause a chatter when slipping the clutch to launch under power. The Bel-Ray doesn't and it lubes the primary components better.

I was thinking about this a little...  I've been running ATF in 3 of my bikes over for 15 or so years.  One of the compensators has well over 200k miles on it, shovelhead with sealed primary, ATF and traditional compensator.  My hotrod 2005 95" twinkie never had any issues with the comp either.  No excessive wear that I ever observed.   I realize these are just a couple data points.

It would be interesting to hear what Baker says about ATF because I have never had any problems at all.  The new compensator theoretically should hold up the same as the tried and true HD version.  no?

2007 and up OLD STYLE SE compensatory is a completely different animal compared to those you mentioned. Hell they die when running a good lube in the primary. What you buy today from SE is different than what I run. And I doubt a Baker would last very long at all with ATF. Just my opinion. I'd still like to see some Baker units with some 10,000 + miles on them.

Sure of course I understand.  I thought I was responding to your comment that Baker would probably not agree to use ATF.  But the way I see if, they are using a design based on the compensators of old.  The ones that didn't fail in half a riding season. 

I too am in watch mode wrt the baker comp.  I've got a new 14+ SE and the compensaver, so I am hopeful I will be set for the foreseeable future.  But only time will tell. 

misfitJason

If you're going to continue to run ATF, then it's a no brainer to me to use the SE and the Compensaver. You could call Baker and see what they say about ATF and their unit, but I bet they say they wouldn't recommend it. What I found with the Barnett carbon fiber discs was ATF would cause a chatter when slipping the clutch to launch under power. The Bel-Ray doesn't and it lubes the primary components better.

I was thinking about this a little...  I've been running ATF in 3 of my bikes over for 15 or so years.  One of the compensators has well over 200k miles on it, shovelhead with sealed primary, ATF and traditional compensator.  My hotrod 2005 95" twinkie never had any issues with the comp either.  No excessive wear that I ever observed.   I realize these are just a couple data points.

It would be interesting to hear what Baker says about ATF because I have never had any problems at all.  The new compensator theoretically should hold up the same as the tried and true HD version.  no?

2007 and up OLD STYLE SE compensatory is a completely different animal compared to those you mentioned. Hell they die when running a good lube in the primary. What you buy today from SE is different than what I run. And I doubt a Baker would last very long at all with ATF. Just my opinion. I'd still like to see some Baker units with some 10,000 + miles on them.

I'm working on it!
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Ohio HD

Quote from: misfitJason on September 04, 2015, 01:13:17 PM

I'm working on it!

LOL!  I wasn't picking on you Jason.   :teeth:   

Just saying I think a lot of folks have the jury still out till it's shown what it can do.

azlou66

Well I ordered a Compensaver today.
I need to order a 14 Comp, I may as well order a 30 tooth trike trans pulley, do it all at once.
Anything less then overkill is under achievement.

Ohio HD

Quote from: azlou66 on September 04, 2015, 03:00:10 PM
I need to order a 14 Comp, I may as well order a 30 tooth trike trans pulley, do it all at once.

:up:

rageglide

September 04, 2015, 04:47:17 PM #30 Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:31:33 PM by rageglide
After my engine problem at RC Cycles we put the bike up on their lift hoping for a quick and dirty fix (ie broke tensioner Ha! ).  The owner, Ron, gave the compensaver a real good lookin over.  Figured out its' purpose immediately.  Apparently had not heard of it.  Approved of the idea right down to the rare earth magnet...

:up:

gabbyduffy

September 04, 2015, 05:14:43 PM #31 Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:20:07 PM by gabbyduffy

dont change the trans pulley. install the game changer motor sprocket. the motor sprocket along with the 14 comp. is the hot set up...... smooth as butter.

ADD ON...... compensaver is another good move............. :up:.
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

FSG

QuoteI'd still like to see some Baker units with some 10,000 + miles on them.

:agree:

No Cents

Quote from: FSG on September 04, 2015, 11:25:14 PM
QuoteI'd still like to see some Baker units with some 10,000 + miles on them.

:agree:

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

azlou66

Quote from: gabbyduffy on September 04, 2015, 05:14:43 PM

dont change the trans pulley. install the game changer motor sprocket. the motor sprocket along with the 14 comp. is the hot set up...... smooth as butter.

What is the advantage of changing the motor sprocket vs the trans pulley??

I haven't ordered trans pulley yet so I can go either way.

MaxxV4

For one, you are already in there rather than have to pull the inner primary off to access the trans pulley. The new Game Changer compensator sprocket is 32 teeth vs 34 for the stock one. Should put the final drive ratio right around 3.05: 1

conmag

I wish you could run the Baker manual adjuster, with the Compsaver.

Ohio HD

You can run the SE manual adjuster.

gabbyduffy

Quote from: azlou66 on September 05, 2015, 09:45:42 AM

Biggest advantage is using the stock belt............ After market belts are crap and break. Do yourself a favor and change the gearing via motor sprocket.
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

rbabos

Quote from: conmag on September 06, 2015, 06:11:41 PM
I wish you could run the Baker manual adjuster, with the Compsaver.
We did a couple of units for that app. It was a nightmare to install the two together so we dropped that design real quick. Low Attitude numbers was also a deciding factor compared to OEM tensioners.
Ron

azlou66

Quote from: gabbyduffy on September 06, 2015, 06:50:58 PM
Quote from: azlou66 on September 05, 2015, 09:45:42 AM

Biggest advantage is using the stock belt............ After market belts are crap and break. Do yourself a favor and change the gearing via motor sprocket.
I completely agree about the stock belt.
My bike is an 08 that came stock with 32/66 final drive.
A couple of years ago I changed the rear to a 68, stock belt is tight but works so it should work at 30/68
I need to remove the inner primary to update the rotor to the 2014.
That is my reasoning behind changing to the 30 tooth trans pulley and saving $130.00.
Does my logic make sense or am I missing something?????

whetsel.m

oldhippie

The SE comp has a very long history of not holding up. Baker makes great stuff but not out long enough to have a history. I would bet on Baker rather then going with SE unit that has a known failure history.

rageglide

Have you done the math? I see 4 scenarios  (stock, your current, trans and motor)

Going smaller on the trans 2 teeth is equivalent of going 4 teeth on the wheel sprocket.  Might work based on your 68 wheel sprocket, but will it give you the ratio you want?

Motor sprocket change is probably the easiest expirement.

MikeL

Going with the motor sprocket dosen't mess with the speedometer...........

MIKE

Ohio HD

But the motor sprocket will mess with your cruise if you have it, and possibly sixth gear light.

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 08, 2015, 07:29:22 AM
But the motor sprocket will mess with your cruise if you have it, and possibly sixth gear light.
Definately the 6th gear light.
Ron

No Cents

I put the 32 tooth comp sprocket in my bike.
I still have the 6th gear light and cruise.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Ohio HD

Ray, you made adjustments with TTS right? If he doesn't have one, he'll have to buy a solution then. Just wanting to point out it's not a swap and forget deal.

azlou66

I have PV with Target Tune so I can adjust for either.
According to my math I can achieve a slightly higher overall numerical ratio changing the trans pulley vs the motor sprocket??
Now will that be too much off a good thing???
Once I get out of town it is posted 75 we normally travel 10+ over.
So a pulley change adds approx 200 rpm at 85 mph.
Am I even close to correct on my numbers?