May 08, 2024, 02:13:53 PM

News:

Baker or S.E + Compensaver

Started by azlou66, September 03, 2015, 06:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytuner

I've seen some of the baker comps with less than 1000 miles on them, let's just say I won't be selling anymore. My vote is for the SE.

No Cents

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 08, 2015, 06:10:44 PM
Ray, you made adjustments with TTS right? If he doesn't have one, he'll have to buy a solution then. Just wanting to point out it's not a swap and forget deal.

Brian...yes I made adjustments in my TTS map for the primary ratio change.

azlou66...with a lesser tooth count on a comp sprocket or a tranny sprocket it will add more rpm's at a given speed over what the stock gearing was. Your gearing will be lower unless you change your rear sprocket to compensate.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

gabbyduffy

Quote from: harleytuner on September 09, 2015, 04:42:26 AM
I've seen some of the baker comps with less than 1000 miles on them, let's just say I won't be selling anymore. My vote is for the SE.
:agree:............  Baker jumped the gun.
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

d1hojo07

So, what are you seeing wrong with them?

harleytuner

Quote from: d1hojo07 on September 10, 2015, 04:45:07 AM

So, what are you seeing wrong with them?

Extreme wear at very low miles, looks like a lack of oiling issue

conmag

My Baker Compensator only lasted 2500 miles, alot of wear, looked like lack of lube, also the splined piece was cracking.

azlou66

Sound like Baker needs more R&D before their comp is GTG. That really leaves the S.E. as my only choice.
My compensavor arrived today but still to hot for me to be wrenching in my garage, cooling down next week so I'm planning on next weekend.
Anything less then overkill is under achievement.

masstch

Quote from: gabbyduffy on September 06, 2015, 06:50:58 PM
Biggest advantage is using the stock belt............ After market belts are crap and break. Do yourself a favor and change the gearing via motor sprocket.

You can do the 30 tooth trans sprocket and retain the stock belt, saving breakage AND lots of money. On the 2009+ bikes there is a minor mod needed to the swing arm to allow moving the axle 0.2" further back than the stock slot allows.  (there are threads) Folks are lengthening the slot with a Dremel for clearance. You can do ONLY that and you'd be done, but most folks are electing to beef up the slot area with a gusset just for peace of mind. Still, not a biggie and retaining the stock belt is definitely worth it.
I did mine on a Saturday and it was BY FAR the best bang for the buck, EVER!
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

No Cents

Quote from: conmag on September 11, 2015, 04:34:26 PM
My Baker Compensator only lasted 2500 miles, alot of wear, looked like lack of lube, also the splined piece was cracking.

:wwp:         

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

conmag

Tried adding pictures without much luck

CowboyTutt

I think we need more information about these failures first.  The Baker unit uses a Rockwell hardness of 50 from what I have read which is much stronger than the original prototype of Rockwell 20.  Then they added the lube holes on the outside of the sprocket basket (sorry, not sure what proper nonclementure is for this part). 

I'm wondering which type of clutch was being used on these failures and how much and what type of oil was being used?  Was it only 14 ounces of oil or 32?  ATF?  Golden Spectro 80 or Belray Gear Saver?  Formula Plus? 

Baker worked hard on this design and they tried to compensate for a variety of clutches and fluid levels with different fluids where the MOCO only built theirs for a stock Harley and "wish you well on your 150 HP Bagger!" 

Maybe we need more information here first before we start flaming a companies reputation, and a very American one at that.

Just saying,

Regards,

-Tutt 

Coyote

Quote from: CowboyTutt on September 11, 2015, 06:05:26 PM
I think we need more information about these failures first.  The Baker unit uses a Rockwell hardness of 50 from what I have read which is much stronger than the original prototype of Rockwell 20.  Then they added the lube holes on the outside of the sprocket basket (sorry, not sure what proper nonclementure is for this part). 

I'm wondering which type of clutch was being used on these failures and how much and what type of oil was being used?  Was it only 14 ounces of oil or 32?  ATF?  Golden Spectro 80 or Belray Gear Saver?  Formula Plus? 

Baker worked hard on this design and they tried to compensate for a variety of clutches and fluid levels with different fluids where the MOCO only built theirs for a stock Harley and "wish you well on your 150 HP Bagger!" 

Maybe we need more information here first before we start flaming a companies reputation, and a very American one at that.

Just saying,

Regards,

-Tutt

:agree:    The photos I've seen on the net seem to trace back to one origin.  The photos I've seen from ones installed locally and checked seem to be holding up well. I will be installing one in my 2011 touring pig shortly.

CowboyTutt

I don't want to run a compensator at all in my new 124 plus inch build and I've been using a solid sprocket for years in my two 107's.  The stock welded crank did not take too well to this, but was NOT the cause of failure.  That being said, I really have to have this new engine last with a balanced assembly and S&S crank, but I don't want to add another 9 lbs of weight to the reciprocating mass of the crank with an SE comp if I can avoid it.  I believe the Baker unit weighs somewhere between the two compensators.   

Hoping Baker can offer us a better product but it has to be matched with the clutch, fluid level and type of oil I am thinking.....

I may need to shore up the spring with spacers for my application if its possible to do that with the Baker product as they only rate it to 130 HP.  Hoping Baker can come through for us all. 

Regards,

-Tutt 

rbabos

Quote from: Coyote on September 11, 2015, 06:11:18 PM

Just saying,

Regards,

-Tutt

:agree:    The photos I've seen on the net seem to trace back to one origin.  The photos I've seen from ones installed locally and checked seem to be holding up well. I will be installing one in my 2011 touring pig shortly.
Conmag obviously has his own pics of his own comp? :wink: Not the one origin as you claim.
Ron

Coyote

Quote from: rbabos on September 11, 2015, 07:02:03 PM
Quote from: Coyote on September 11, 2015, 06:11:18 PM

Just saying,

Regards,

-Tutt

Conmag obviously has his own pics of his own comp? :wink: Not the one origin as you claim.
Ron

I can't speak to pics not posted. So obvious would be an overstatement.  As I have not listed a source, I'll stick by my statement. Your response is interesting however.  :wink:

I don't think hearsay is reason enough to continue this at the detriment of a company. Time will tell.

harleytuner

The one I have sold is in Ohio, (500 miles from me) but my customer said he'll inspect it and send me pictures. It's been run on the street as well as the strip. (140+ hp)

I also know of 2 that were installed in Sturgis by Baker that didn't last the ride home.  I love Baker products and I'm a dealer for them, I just think in this ca see e the p r induct needs some more development. IMO it wasn't ready to be released at the Expo, and taking the pre-orders only made things worse.

07heri

Every company will have failure rates to a certain extent.  Does Baker know of these failures you're talking about?  What is their response?  If Baker installed them and they failed that's not a good sign.  Should be able to rule out installer error if the designer did the install.  Maybe Baker will jump in and explain what happened.  I was hoping the Baker unit was going to be the holy grail...then wait for them to come out with a gear change unit.  But I don't want to wait 2 or 3 more years for them to prove their product.  Might just take my chances with a newer SE unit and the Primo gear changer and call it a day. 
2016 Heritage
Stage 1

conmag

I'm on vacation right now, on the bike will try to get pictures up when I get home next weekend, bike is about 115/120, oil was what they recommend,

robertg

This is mine after 1,000 miles. I checked at around 3,000 and it looked the same.

rbabos

Quote from: robertg on September 12, 2015, 02:51:37 PM
This is mine after 1,000 miles. I checked at around 3,000 and it looked the same.

Why are you taking you comp apart every couple thousand? I thought it went through a long testing process?
Ron

CowboyTutt

Quotebike is about 115/120, oil was what they recommend,

If you could please clarify the amount of oil used (basically half a quart or a full quart), what type of oil it was, and what clutch it was used with (maybe construction of friction plate material too) that would be helpful.  Thank you.  -Tutt 

robertg

Quote from: rbabos on September 12, 2015, 04:31:00 PM
Quote from: robertg on September 12, 2015, 02:51:37 PM
Why are you taking you comp apart every couple thousand? I thought it went through a long testing process?
Ron
I was chasing an oil leak, nothing to do with the compensator. I was surprised to see that much wear, so I took a picture.

rageglide

The wear doesn't look that bad to me.  It's hard to tell how bad it is from the picture.  All the old comps get a good shine to them as the two ramps get to know each other.  I'd be more worried about the bearing surface which you didn't really capture, although it does look like it's showing wear. 

CowboyTutt

RobertTg, you have still not answered my questions about oil level, type of oil, and what clutch you are using.  Whose type of oil were you using as per "recommendation" from Baker, whose clutch are you using, what oil, and how much?  Thank you. 

Regards,

-Tutt 

robertg

Quote from: CowboyTutt on September 12, 2015, 05:21:07 PM
RobertTg, you have still not answered my questions about oil level, type of oil, and what clutch you are using.  Whose type of oil were you using as per "recommendation" from Baker, whose clutch are you using, what oil, and how much?  Thank you. 

Regards,

-Tutt
I didn't realize you were asking me. The first 1000 miles I used Maxima synthetic primary lube, now I'm using Formula+. Clutch is a Rivera Primo, and I usually use about 1.25 l. It's a 120R but I don't drive hard.