May 09, 2024, 11:45:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Power commander V.. Vs Vision...Vs Twin Tec..Vs Rcx Celerator... Vs Thunder Ma..

Started by aalsalem, September 05, 2015, 12:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aalsalem

Hi,

Just got done with my new build on a  2009 Softail crossbones and looking for the best thing to tune it,
what do you recommend ?
there are so many programing tools out there that it makes it hard to choose :cry: :cry:.

Am currently in kuwait and the Dyno places here are only pushing for Powercommandes, what do you think ? need your feedback

PoweCommander V or Vision, Twin Tec, Rcx Celerator, Thunder Max, DynaTek.... the list goes on

2009 Softail CrossBones
107CI with 10.5-1 pistons
Stage 4 Heads from Hillside Cycles
58mm TB
Woods  TW-9 Cams
Supertrapp 2-1 pipes
Stock ECU

Thanks

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Admiral Akbar

If you can't depend on the dyno shop to tune the bike with PV or TTS, go with the Tmax.. Simplest system to tune by yourself..

MikeL

Quote from: Max Headflow on September 05, 2015, 08:26:31 AM
If you can't depend on the dyno shop to tune the bike with PV or TTS, go with the Tmax.. Simplest system to tune by yourself..
:agree:

MIKE

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

HD/Wrench

Since your location is where its being tuned and they know PC then I would think they are aware of the PV???

FlaHeatWave

'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

Admiral Akbar

Appowner

I have an 08 FXSTC.  First of all I don't like add ons to the existing ECM like the PC and such.  If the existing ECM can't run it properly, then why is it on the machine to begin with?

In my search for the perfect tune, I tried stage I, I tried the SERT and TTS both with reputable tuners.  Never were able to get them quite right for some reason.  Then my Indy made me an offer.  Try the T-Max for 1000 miles and if I don't like it, he'd change it all back for me no charge.  Never been happier with a tune than I have with my T-Max.

Is my bike making max HP and TQ?  Probably not.  But I'm sure it's close and it's more than enough for me and my riding style.  And the bike is a 103 now with cams, etc, etc and the T-Max took it all in stride.

Do the others work?  Sure they do.  They must because you find people who are happy with them.  But like I said, I am happiest with my T-Max.

PoorUB

Quote from: Appowner on September 05, 2015, 03:00:33 PM

In my search for the perfect tune, I tried stage I, I tried the SERT and TTS both with reputable tuners.  Never were able to get them quite right for some reason.  Then my Indy made me an offer.  Try the T-Max for 1000 miles and if I don't like it, he'd change it all back for me no charge.  Never been happier with a tune than I have with my T-Max.

I wonder why your tuner had problems tuning with the TTS. I have street tuned mine with no issues at all. Plus modded tunes done by dyno operators by street tuning.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

strokerjlk

Quote from: aalsalem on September 05, 2015, 12:44:55 AM
Hi,

Just got done with my new build on a  2009 Softail crossbones and looking for the best thing to tune it,
what do you recommend ?
there are so many programing tools out there that it makes it hard to choose :cry: :cry: .

Am currently in kuwait and the Dyno places here are only pushing for Powercommandes, what do you think ? need your feedback

PoweCommander V or Vision, Twin Tec, Rcx Celerator, Thunder Max, DynaTek.... the list goes on

2009 Softail CrossBones
58mm TB
Woods  TW-9 Cams
Supertrapp 2-1 pipes
Stock ECU

Thanks
use what they know
power vision
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: strokerjlk on September 05, 2015, 04:16:19 PM
Hi,

what do you recommend ?
there are so many programing tools out there that it makes it hard to choose :cry: :cry: .

2009 Softail CrossBones
58mm TB
Woods  TW-9 Cams
Supertrapp 2-1 pipes
Stock ECU

Thanks
use what they know
power vision

Since when is Power Commander the same as Power Vision?  I thought they were different.

Appowner

Quote from: PoorUB on September 05, 2015, 04:08:32 PM

I wonder why your tuner had problems tuning with the TTS. I have street tuned mine with no issues at all. Plus modded tunes done by dyno operators by street tuning.

I have no idea.  The tunners (humans) would dyno it and turn it over to me with a clean bill of health.  But it just never seemed right to me.  Either running too hot or decel pop or a lag somewhere or whatever.  Maybe I was expecting too much or something that just wasn't there?  But the T-Max seems to have cleared all that up.  The bike seems "Happy" now and I'm certainly happy with it so I guess that's all that matters.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Appowner on September 06, 2015, 06:29:05 AM

I have no idea.  The tunners (humans) would dyno it and turn it over to me with a clean bill of health.  But it just never seemed right to me.  Either running too hot or decel pop or a lag somewhere or whatever.  Maybe I was expecting too much or something that just wasn't there?  But the T-Max seems to have cleared all that up.  The bike seems "Happy" now and I'm certainly happy with it so I guess that's all that matters.

I wouldn't be surprised if they only set VEs and AFR but didn't mess with timing. The base map didn't have timing close enough to the build..

strokerjlk

Quote from: Max Headflow on September 05, 2015, 05:33:24 PM
Quote from: strokerjlk on September 05, 2015, 04:16:19 PM
Hi,

what do you recommend ?

2009 Softail CrossBones
58mm TB
Woods  TW-9 Cams
Supertrapp 2-1 pipes
Stock ECU

Thanks
use what they know
power vision

Since when is Power Commander the same as Power Vision?  I thought they were different.
they are diff.
"Powercommandes"
i assumed they were using both 5 and vision. I see your point . probably wrong.... :embarrassed:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Appowner

Quote from: Max Headflow on September 06, 2015, 07:10:45 AM
Quote from: Appowner on September 06, 2015, 06:29:05 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they only set VEs and AFR but didn't mess with timing. The base map didn't have timing close enough to the build..

Would not surprise me.  I bought this bike new in 08 after not riding for 25 years.  Had some technology shock the first year or two.  At least the pistons still go up and down.  Still not up to speed enough to trust myself at tuning.  Bad health the last two years hasn't helped.  I'm just going to stick with what works for me and right now, the T-Max is it.

FlaHeatWave

Quote from: Max Headflow on September 05, 2015, 02:41:44 PM
Quote from: FlaHeatWave on September 05, 2015, 01:33:22 PM
Go with what your Dyno guy recommends...

I wouldn't if the guy is recommending a PC5.. Look at the build..

The OP is in Kuwait, I would think access to Dynos / Tuners are somewhat limited compared to us... We've probably all read / seen plenty of horror stories (in the U.S. where we have the most to choose from) from customers that want to use Tuners that the person doing the Tuning does not support, is not familiar with...

'Been running the PC-V / Auto in the '09 SERG 117, 10.4-1, T-Man 625s, T-Man CVO Street Performer Heads, SE 58mm, SE 5.3 Injectors, V&H PowerDuals, RSD Tracker Slipons for 20k miles so far... Starts instantly hot or cold, plenty of power everywhere, instant response everywhere, no ill traits, no drama, consistently (I check mileage at every fuel stop) 35-38 mpg around town / playing, 40+ on the Interstate at 80++ all 2-up / loaded.

The only potential negative is the stock rev limit of around 5600, it doesn't bother me, but the OP might want more Rs with the Woods 9s and a lighter bike...

Note that the '09 ECM is a bit of a different animal... (the OP might want to mention that to his Tuner and see what he has to say :nix:)
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

itsafatboy

Using tmax on mine love it , software easy to use have not
Had any issues ,  if your planning on other
Mods it's a great option no dyno tunning every time you change pipes,cams

slo-poke 03

Quote from: itsafatboy on September 10, 2015, 12:37:15 PM
Using tmax on mine love it , software easy to use have not
Had any issues ,  if your planning on other
Mods it's a great option no dyno tunning every time you change pipes,cams

Ditto to that. I tried several other tuners and the Tmax is the easiest by far to use. I'll admit I am on a learning curve with it, but it beats the others, hands down, if you are going to tune it yourself. All of this is just my own opinion of course. 

jmorton10

I love the t-max also.

I was running a 117" with an open loop t-max that was tuned by Joes Cycle & it ran super.

The flywheels went out at under 2000 miles & lunched the motor.

At that point, I put in a 124" S&S motor & added the t-max auto-tune module & wide band sensors. At this point, I can't imagine this motor running much better.  It starts instantly, idles perfect & does not pop or backfire at all.

It definitely runs every bit as smoothly as the old custom tuned motor did.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

wheels

Admiral Akbar

BVHOG

If you are choosing between the Power Vision and the TTS  I would choose the PV every time just for the fact it doesn't lock the ecm up. Plus if the dyno shop does the licensing feature you are basically spending half for the same capability
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Durwood

Quote from: BVHOG on September 11, 2015, 06:46:16 AM
If you are choosing between the Power Vision and the TTS  I would choose the PV every time just for the fact it doesn't lock the ecm up. Plus if the dyno shop does the licensing feature you are basically spending half for the same capability
:agree: