Primary belt drives - winterization- technical drawings

Started by midwestcowboy, September 11, 2015, 07:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwestcowboy

Good Morning all;
                          Pardon my ignorance but much has changed in the 40 yrs I've been away from bikes.
                          In the 70's I installed a belt drive unit replacing the stock primary chain setup... Noise and vibration were practically eliminated... I just bought a 92 Heritage Softail  and would like to do the same. The wet clutch being the outstanding difference, I see no other issues. I've found quite the range of options on EBay, the closest -and cheapest- to what I once had is being offered by "vicious cycles"...
                            I rode in Florida, but now live in Missouri and am clueless about winterizing other than whats mentioned in the service manual. The scoot is set -up with an S&S carb.
                            Also where can I obtain drawings for duplicating the special tools listed in the service manual? I spent my working career as a precision machinist for Uncle Sam and have access to a machine shop.
                             That's it....advice and input would be appreciated.....Happy Trails.                                       

Hossamania

Winterizing- I fill the tank with non-oxy fuel and the proper mix of Seafoam, run for a while to get completely through carb, maybe even a quick ride. Wash bike, change oil and other fluids if they are 1/2 way through their life cycle. Put a Battery Tender occasionally on the battery (or all winter). Check the tires. Put it in the corner with a light cover on it. I use a bed sheet. Some jack them up to keep the tires off the cement, I don't. Some put a sheet of plywood under to cut down on moisture, again, I don't. Some put a small fan under the cover to cut down on moisture.
Do not start the bike while in storage unless you are going to ride it for at least a 1/2 hour.
Also, repair everything that needs it, or make a list and put it on the seat to remind you.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

pumpguy68

:up: :agree: good advise Hoss

Ray m

You can have a look in the homemade tools on this site that may help you out!

Welcome to HTT
If it has tits or gears it will give you problems at some point!!