May 02, 2024, 02:17:05 AM

News:

older transmission in a newer frame

Started by roguedc72, September 13, 2015, 09:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roguedc72

Hey,new to the site,LOTS of info here. I have a self inflicted build problem, I'm building a panhead bobber and using a kraftech frame built for a panhead/shovelhead,the trans plate is for a later model 5 spd,the welded in narrow plate with 4 oblong holes for the trans and that's the problem,after getting the roller together with a panhead engine,5 gal fatbobs, 65 oil tank, I decided this bike needs a 4 spd kicker trans and I'm to damn stubborn to take everyones advice and "just put a 5 spd in it cuz you'll like having that extra gear", has anyone gone backwards and put an older trans in a newer frame? If I'm going to ruin a perfectly good frame I'd like some input first,thanks,any help is appreciated.

blackbob570

Rogue,
See if I can help a bit.
Not familiar with Kraftech but if its a Pan motor you have then its a generator style.....didnt make anything else. That means its 4 speed only in the trans department. Its all to do with the length of the main shaft, its the shortest, and that means the engine output shaft is also the shortest so they match. To my knowledge if you want to use a 5 speed you will need an alternator left engine case with longer shaft on the motor. Maybe someone with more know-how than me can also chime in, cheers.

roguedc72

Thanks Blackbob, you wouldn't think kraftech would build a frame without specifying exactly what engine parts you'll need to make it work,oh well, let the buyer beware.

blackbob570

Rogue,
You could still be in luck....the trans plate is a bolt in, so you just use a 4 speed plate instead of 5 speed.
I didnt quite understand the part you said about the 'welded in narrow plate with 4 oblong holes for the trans and thats the problem'.
Do you have a generator style Pan motor?

Wicked

Quote from: roguedc72 on September 16, 2015, 06:05:19 PM
, you wouldn't think kraftech would build a frame without specifying exactly what engine parts you'll need to make it work,oh well, let the buyer beware.
Oh but they do. You said yourself you have a frame for a shovel or pan with a 5 speed.... :wink: !
I have used quite a few Kraftech frames over the years, and for me they're the best. Fits what they say, fits properly, and got the best looking welds in the industry.
Their 4spd frames utilize the bolt in trans plate, and their 5spds have the fixed plate.
I did convert their 5spd frame to a 4spd by removing the fixed trans mounting plate and aligning and welding in a stronger than stock 4spd plate from "Paugho".
Could have made my own plate, but had one of theirs here...  :bike:
Did this because I wanted to use a shovel and 4spd in a wide tire softail frame...
Paul

blackbob570

Wicked,
Thanks for the info, all makes sense now about the welded in plate.
I guess if Rogue  wants a 4 speed he needs to do the same mod?
Or go with the 5 speed build a cone Pan?

Wicked

Quote from: blackbob570 on September 16, 2015, 07:45:57 PM
Wicked,
Thanks for the info, all makes sense now about the welded in plate.
I guess if Rogue  wants a 4 speed he needs to do the same mod?
Or go with the 5 speed build a cone Pan?
Well that's what I did to fit a 4spd trans into a 5spd specific softail frame. That was the closest Kraftech had to do what I wanted...
Did have to modify the rear "ears" on the pri side of the trans to clear the swingarm pivot as well.
Paul

roguedc72

Thanks Wicked, that's what I figured would have to be done, I'm running an open primary with a belt, I have all the parts so it's a matter getting everything aligned front to back before any welding or drilling.This is a 200  rigid frame with just the right rake and stretch that I wanted so I didn't want to walk away from the project.