April 27, 2024, 11:19:23 PM

News:

HELL

Started by garyajaz, September 23, 2015, 10:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyajaz

Hell has ended here in southwest desert.  :missed: (finally)
last night even had air conditioner off and windows open.

sooo, time to drag out the ol ironhead and limber up the kicking leg.
things I need this go around is new coil and wiring  to points. also reglass
tank bottom for seep. poor ol flat track tank is 55 years old and been brittle.
put the mik 42 on fxdx so will put back the extra hard starting S&S L  carb.

is this riding season for anyone else? or start to put away season?
I only ride push buttons in the summer.  but cool days brings out the iron in my blood.

nibroc

yeah---me too    had to tweak the primary chain last nite    looking to score the S&S GAL CARB KIT   #11-2911 from S&S
supposively still available around $80

garyajaz

what ya need for your L?
80$   kit  , I paid 100 for the whole carb.

Breeze

This is the START of riding season for me here in Georgia. I wore a light jacket today, 70 degrees.  I probably only put 500 miles on a bike since June. Summer heat just wears me out when I'm on a bike. I'll start a ride @ 20 degrees, if the day will warm to the 40's.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

nibroc

GAL carbs are selling for six to seven hundred now---used---there's no new ones---some say reconditioned....BUT    might have to go to the super e

garyajaz

BREAKING NEWS!!!

THIS JUST IN.....

my S&S is for sale...
say $500?

then I can get a mik 45 and coil and fix tank and still have money left over.

WOW, but I should have guessed. I saw a old beat up S&S two throat and manifold the guy wanted $600 for. a few months later when by shop it was sold.
so somebody wanted that retro look instead of  carb that worked.
(guilty myself) for a while I entertained putting dual mik's and a sudco manifold on it.

oh well, nibroc.
what you need to get yours up? I make my own gasket, have a jet board with maybe 10 main jets.
(found some ol car carb jets that were air bleed but fit threads and depth.
I paid like a buck each instead of the S&S pricing.  number drilled them.
low speed mixture jet also came off something else. a little longer spring but its fine.
same with intermediate air bleeds, I been soldering and redrilling air holes and such for years as needed.
parts is parts
bet we can get yours running

Breeze, I lived in Georgia 45 years ago, Hinesville.
out in swamps. I do remember wanting gills so I could breathe.
gasping for air and getting water/humidity.
its hotter here but I was more miserable there.
70 degrees?
wow, it cooled right down here to 105 yesterday.

nibroc

bike is coughing and spitting--sometimes back firing---think its sucking air---like ya said (air holes)     hopefully the master kit will fix---cant order it until tues---ya know ya have to go thru an S&S dealer to buy it--- but I called S&S tech and they said they still have it even though it is not even listed on JP or anyone elses books

garyajaz

loose butterfly/throttle shaft?

nibroc

Quote from: garyajaz on September 26, 2015, 04:51:29 PM
loose butterfly/throttle shaft?

yeah, Gary---- :agree:       I think I need a kit

garyajaz

dont know what the kit provides.
I did "fix" one by drilling out the carb body and inserting some bushings to make throttle shaft run in a round, tighter hole.
good luck,  I an puting off anything on mine till under 100 degrees. was 104 yesterday.
and almost October. getting g pretty worn out over this summers heat.

fbn ent

GARY, this is the beginning of the end of riding season here. below freezing in the morning and low 40s to 50 during the day. Some snow in the forecast here and there. Bike runs real good at these temps though :bike:. On a happier note, it is the beginning of hunting season an the elk are in rut....BOOM! Might do some Az. riding this Winter.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

garyajaz

come on down.
lots of north folks this way in winter.
we may call them snowbirds, (and worse)
but we actually like the people from Canada.
(the minnesota folks, not so much)
last new years day lots rode up mountains to bike run.
(tortilla flat)  I wore a t-shirt.

Hossamania

Hell Gary, your whole area becomes little Minnesota this time of year. I don't like 'em either, and I live in Mn. We only show up there because you think it's cold at 40 degrees and we think that is summer weather. Lucky for you, we don't stick around too long.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

garyajaz

lol  I mentioned minn cause of a recent parking lot incident with one.
wisconsin just as bad.

the other north state people, like Montana are  nice in general.
just those two states people come this way, quadruple our population, make long lines for all services, use our fire and paramedics with out paying taxes for them and generally driving badly and expecting us to cater to them cause they "helping" our local economy by shopping at national chain stores.

yeah, I don't vent much, those folks can stay home and drive badly.
the nice folks?  come on down!

Hossamania

We do have some pretty bad drivers here.

fbn ent

The days have been getting longer for what, almost a month, and people are just now remembering that you have to drive differently in Winter? Give me a break! :slap:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Quote from: fbn ent on January 15, 2016, 08:38:25 AM
The days have been getting longer for what, almost a month, and people are just now remembering that you have to drive differently in Winter? Give me a break! :slap:

Yeah, I never understood that either. Winter comes EVERY year. Drive like you have skills. Just saw a guy slide off the road yesterday on clear roads, though cold. Um, dude, its slippery all winter, every year.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Hossamania on January 15, 2016, 08:44:14 AM
Quote from: fbn ent on January 15, 2016, 08:38:25 AM

Yeah, I never understood that either. Winter comes EVERY year. Drive like you have skills. Just saw a guy slide off the road yesterday on clear roads, though cold. Um, dude, its slippery all winter, every year.

:hyst:
It's not the weather, it's the people and we have them here in the northeast as well.
My dad always said you get better results on election day if there is a snow storm because the idiots are to busy in the ditches to get to vote.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."