May 02, 2024, 03:32:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Magnetic Drain Plug - Magnet gone

Started by xltjim, April 02, 2009, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xltjim

Well just my luck (probably good luck that I found it now).  I went to change the oil inthe primary on my 2006 Heritage softail classic and after removing the plug I see the magnet gone!  Great.  It could of been like this for at least 5K.  Hopefully nothing got damaged.  I have the service manual and am going to take the primary cover off to see if I can find it.  Anything I need to know about taking the primary cover off that isn't covered in the service manual?  Do they typically just pop off with a couple rubber mallet taps after taking out the bolts?  Any of you have this happen before and did you find anything "bad" when this happened?  Any usual hiding places they end up?  Of course I am hoping I look into the chain inspection cover first and find it, or it just falls out of the cover when I get it off, but I never seem to have that good of luck. 

thanks and take care......Jim

specialx1

found mine stuck to the tensioner mount when i took my primary off,  ya gotta take off the top center bolt n the top right bolt off the inspection cover plate besides all the perimeter bolts on the primary cover  to remove primary cover,
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

specialx1

cpl taps n cover will pop off if not just fall off when you have all bolts out, mite get lucky n see it stuck to tensioner if you peek thru inspection cover hole like mine was,the 2 bolts u remove out of tensioner inspection cover have gaskets on the back side of primary cover, make sure you get them out if they fall off when u remove cover, and replace em, or reuse em, your choice, i replace em dont cost much. to each there own,
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

rhino

01flht, I have lost 2 magnets in the primary,took it apart both times and found pieces of them, none big enough to do any harm, I think they are soft and will break up,but I do feel better checking it out when they are gone. I did update to the newer style plug with o-ring and a shoulder to make sure I was'nt screwing it in too far

truck

I'm thinking that if you didn't hear any crunching or feel any jerking, you're good to go.
The magnet is either lying on the bottom of the primary case and will stay there, or it is stuck fast somewhere and will stay there.
I might be wrong though.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

xltjim

Thanks folks.  I will pick up a new primary plug this weekend, take it off and check it out.  Supposed to be raining again anyways.  As always, your advice is appreciated.  Be good.

JBarrettB

Xltjim,
Just a thought but it could be that you haven't lost the magnet. That is the new plug with the o-ring, right? The magnet in that plug sits down in the plug and the top of it is flat. Only the earlier plug has the magnet that sits atop the plug. It has a slot in it.

JB 
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

tdrglide

I found mine in pieces stuck to a couple bolts, the ones that mount the inner primary to the trans. Scared me until I figured what it was.  I just put the plug back in without the magnet figuring I don't have to worry about it falling off anymore.

JONNIEROCK

I've found that by putting plumbers tape on the new plug, and not tightening it in so far, will prevent this. I think what happened to mine was that I tightened it in so far, that it hit on the primary chain, tearing it off the plug. Hope this helps.
                         Jonnierock
You think you have problems. My first wife died, and my second one won't !!!

still_on2_wheels

If you run that plug in too far it will collide with the clutch. Saaawwwwing! It will be gone. Stuck to the first ferrous thing it finds. Magnets are soft though.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

redrokit8

Same thing happened to me. I panicked and removed primary cover only to find that the chain and gear teeth just about vaporized the magnetic end.
The end result was a squeaky clean primary inside.
Vietnam Vet 66-67, 4th & 25th Inf Divisions CIB
LZ Hope
'09 FLTR  Roseland NJ