April 27, 2024, 06:39:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Belt Change

Started by Tomahawk, November 09, 2008, 02:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

November 09, 2008, 02:02:20 PM Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:09:54 PM by 91EVO
Changing my belt, tranny sprocket and rear wheel sprocket. My helper mechanic says there's no need to replace the mainshaft seal or the chaincase jackshaft seal (bushing). Me no agree with him. Why would he think that , as I have it all apart anyway.

TheSwede

Hi 91evo  It is your bike,,if you feel more safe
changing,,, do it ,,even if it is not needed.
Your money,, your bike,, your decision

Best Regards
TheSwede

Justpassingas

Unless you want to do the job twice and while you've got it apart I would....I changed a belt and tranny sprocket on my 98RK in May 07 and didn't change the seals....GUESS WHAT???  tranny started leaking oil a couple months ago and I suspect the main seal....You know what I'm doing over the winter :cry:
For Duty and Humanity

kickstart

If it ain't broke ...... ?
No reason for it to start leaking.
Change it when and if it ever does, it's a casual weekend job, prob less than a 12 pack.

It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

Buddy WMC

Any pre 93 bike should have ALL the seals replaced. HD changed to a wider splined transmission pulley, different manshaft spacer and seal and double locking system in 1994 as an upgrade that will fit you 91. Kits are available from HD, BDL and from Baker (I'm using the BDL). A new quad seal behind the pulley spacer and both inner primary bearing and starter shaft seals sould be replaced. If the starter bushing good, then leave it alone. I would also change the mainshaft inner primary bearing while you are in there.

You did not state what model or how many miles are on your bike. A few extra bucks now can save youa headache in the future. An Indy (not local), replaced the belt in my bike just before I bought it from the previous owner. 500 miles later the trans started leaking. We discovered that a corroded pulley spacer had torn up the mainshaft and quad seals in the transmission. This lazy mechanic never checked those parts.

In addition he only pulled the pivot block on the left side (FXR), to squeeze the new belt in. Upon reassembly the nylon washer and rubber bushing on that side were not aligned correctly. Just got finished fixing that probem a couple of weeks ago. Do it right now and have the peace of mind later.

Trip

BuddyWMC................................ :up:

FLHSx2

replace all the seals its only a few bucks more. you got it torn down that far. its a win win situation.

fbn ent

While you are behind the inner, check out the shift arm and shaft on the trans.
R
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta