April 30, 2024, 03:46:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

"Top end rebuild"

Started by SteveH, April 02, 2009, 06:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveH

Hello all, I'm brand new to your forum & here's my first post. I have an '04 1200C. I often ride wit a guy that has an '05 1200C, although his has significantly more miles on it (near 30,000). Recently, he has been having trouble starting it, it stalls, blowing some smoke - blueish white & black. Ultimately, he was told by different mechanics (dealerships) that he needs the "top end rebuilt". What exactly does this mean? Is this common for roughly 30k? Thanks, Steve

Bigs

Valve seals could be shot. In '05 they had some valve seals that were not very good. In my '05 1200C I had a bad valve seal to start off with. It would carbon up the plug pretty bad. Had them replaced with the newer type valve seals and since then no problems.
   Bigs

SteveH

I figure it must be something like that. There aren't many components to a V-twin, I'd just like to know what typically goes wrong. It will give me an idea of what I need to do when mine acts up.

mayor

yea, I'm with Bigs on this one.  I really doubt the rings are shot with all the more miles that's on it.  I would be kinda curious of what the mechanics were referring too.  30k on an EVO engine isn't anything like 30k on a ironhead.   
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

SteveH

I'd like to know what the mechanics were referring to, too. I went with my friend, who knows where to put the gas and nothing more. He asked me to go along, to try & filter out the ABSOLUTE BS. I was able to speak with the mechanics in person, and when I asked the mechanic what a "top end rebuild" entails, he no longer wanted to talk. Same thing from a total of 3 mechanics at 2 dealerships. I actually got the impression that when they realized that I had a basic understanding of how the internal combustion engine works, they no longer wanted to talk. It was if they had taken a vow of silence. One guy's best explanation was "It's way too complicated, best left to a professional. Stick to oil changes if you really want to work on it". I'm not sure if he was deliberately trying to insult me, but I replied "Way too complicated? it's like a large lawnmower engine". Then he really scared me when he said "Sir, out V-twins have nothing in common with lawnmower engines. They both burn gas, and that's about it". Also, my friend was quoted at just under $2,300.00 from either dealership. To whom it mat concern, I know there are many talented HD mechanics. However, I would not permit one to open my engine for anything all.