May 08, 2024, 04:36:51 PM

News:

A clutch question

Started by MikeL, October 17, 2015, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeL

I have a 1994 Fatboy with clutch problems. The clutch damper blew apart so all the brass rivets got lodged and caused plate bluing etc. My question is I can get my hands on a 1998 clutch basket and I have the hub and plates to fit it the 1998 basket. Will the clutch assembly swap out? The splined shaft on the trans is the same I just don't know if the primary chain will line up I would prefer to use the newer style clutch.

MIKE

Ohio HD

October 17, 2015, 06:47:07 PM #1 Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:33:07 PM by Ohio HD
We put a '98 on a '93 '94 Heritage Softail, all worked and aligned ok.

Ohio HD

Flhfxd

Check your part numbers to be sure. Its the first and easiest step to do. Use Ronnies HD microfiche.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

pumpguy68

IIRC 90-93 are the same and 94-98 are the same.

As mentioned I would check part numbers.

Ray m
If it has tits or gears it will give you problems at some point!!

Ohio HD

October 18, 2015, 07:08:39 AM #5 Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:23:35 AM by Ohio HD
They fit, I went through that exercise. Only thing to look at is the clearance to the outer primary. It's close, we releaved the opening area a little, no issues.

All part numbers wont match, the '94 uses a different clutch setup, that's why he's asking. But they will fit the bike.

WML57

98 and up clutch will fit with no mods. I upgraded my 97 to the 98 style with no problems.

MikeL

Thanks guys. I did go to Ronnies and I found that the inner primary is the same up to 05/ 06. The trans input shafts are the same. So I assumed the clutch would work alignment wise.
I believe the 1999 and up is a better design than early fine spline set up.

MIKE