April 28, 2024, 09:34:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch talk .

Started by BB, October 18, 2015, 05:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

This winter I'm hoping to change my mod bike from a 4 speed to a 5 speed . I have a Bandit 3 finger lockup on it now . Looking for advise on what clutch to buy . Need better time on the 60' .
Ride Fast & Take Chances

strokerjlk

Quote from: BB on October 18, 2015, 05:37:06 AM
This winter I'm hoping to change my mod bike from a 4 speed to a 5 speed . I have a Bandit 3 finger lockup on it now . Looking for advise on what clutch to buy . Need better time on the 60' .
6 finger MTC multi lock up with your current bandit clutch   
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

John/1

The MTC lockup requires a new super clutch the spring spacing are not the same.
John

pwmorris

You have the Bandit Superclutch already with their 3 finger?
Is this a Promod (slick and bar)?
If you are running wheelie bars leave it as is. I have seen 1.30's 60' with that set up.
I ran it several years ago but with no bar, I had big wheelie problems with that single stage lock up. Wheelie bars shouldn't have that problem. Try softening up the pack by replacing a couple frictions with steels. Make sure your stack height is always the same.
Don't be shy bringing up your revs and dump that clutch (5k plus), and make sure you have a good tire.
If you want to step up to a multi stage, as said Bandit w/ MTC (new generation) but you have to send your clutch back to Bandit for the conversion, about 1,400 clams...
Or, you can go to the complete MTC clutch and lock up (direct from MTC) which works off rpm (like a slipper), and is THE ticket (but not legal in some Harley classes)...

hrdtail78

Quote from: BB on October 18, 2015, 05:37:06 AM

Is this also going from tapered to spline?
Semper Fi

BB

Quote from: pwmorris on October 19, 2015, 07:56:07 AM
If you are running wheelie bars leave it as is. I have seen 1.30's 60' with that set up.
I ran it several years ago but with no bar, I had big wheelie problems with that single stage lock up. Wheelie bars shouldn't have that problem. Try softening up the pack by replacing a couple frictions with steels. Make sure your stack height is always the same.
Don't be shy bringing up your revs and dump that clutch (5k plus), and make sure you have a good tire.
If you want to step up to a multi stage, as said Bandit w/ MTC (new generation) but you have to send your clutch back to Bandit for the conversion, about 1,400 clams...
Or, you can go to the complete MTC clutch and lock up (direct from MTC) which works off rpm (like a slipper), and is THE ticket (but not legal in some Harley classes)...

Yes it is a Bandit clutch . And yes it can run Pro Mod , but right now the engine is a little small. It is only a 88".I have time slips were the bike has went 1.3  60" . I just have not got it there yet. We launch at 7200 rpm's , the tire is new and run 8 lb of air . Yes the bike has wheele bars . This winter I will be going the a 5 speed tran's  (splinde shaft). Also I will be installing a recepac 300 .
Ride Fast & Take Chances

pwmorris

Quote from: BB on October 19, 2015, 03:33:36 PM

Yes it is a Bandit clutch . And yes it can run Pro Mod , but right now the engine is a little small. It is only a 88".I have time slips were the bike has went 1.3  60" . I just have not got it there yet. We launch at 7200 rpm's , the tire is new and run 8 lb of air . Yes the bike has wheele bars . This winter I will be going the a 5 speed tran's  (splinde shaft). Also I will be installing a recepac 300 .
Good-
Upgrade the trans and test and tune more with what you have...Unless you want to spend the coin for the MTC upgrade. As said, with a bar, your set up should be fine, it's already been 1.30's, and you need to play with clutch pack and launch rpm that should carry you with the correct gearing just past the 60, before you bang second. What does the dyno say your shift points should be? What rpm are you shifting at? If you launch at 7200 and shift at 7700, it is coming on almost instantly and you are banging second early, which slows your 60' time. You don't want your HP to nose over when you bang second. Also, your pack is fully locked up at 7200 so you have no slip out of the hole, and I'm guessing you are immediately hard on your wheelie bars at launch, especially with that 8psi tire. I like a longer ratio 1st gear to pull me out farther before I bang second.
This bike is new to you and you need more seat time and T&T.

Racepak is going to help a lot knowing how much slip you need, but I'm guessing you have too much static and you need to swap some frictions for steels-your LU hat will take care of the big end...a new multi stage ain't gonna make a difference if you are fully locked up too early and aren't taking advantage of the stages to bring in the power.

strokerjlk

Quote from: BB on October 19, 2015, 03:33:36 PM

I agree with Paul.you have more than enough clutch for a slick/bar bike
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory