April 27, 2024, 05:45:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

85 Clutch Hub Collar

Started by hogpipes1, October 18, 2015, 06:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

85 fxrt has the keyed tapered clutch hub, also know to crack along the key way.. I have a collar that can be pressed on to maybe keep from this happening.. one issue is the the hub snap ring  will be covered  once collar is pressed on . would be a bitch to get off if needed.  any thoughts on this job.?   hub is off because of belt change . thanks 

1FSTRK

The collars help, I would definitely use it.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Mark222

Where does one find this collar?  Part #?

I have an 85 that could use this enhancement next time i am in there.

Mark

rageglide

Why not use the steel clutch hub?  HD ditched the aluminum split prone (and weak spring tower) hubs in late 80's and updated their part.  Sold it as a replacement.  I thought most of the aftermarket versions were steel.

1FSTRK

Well if you are really concerned and making big power switch the mainshaft to the 1990 mainshaft and use the newer splined clutch.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

hogpipes1

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 18, 2015, 08:37:51 PM
Well if you are really concerned and making big power switch the mainshaft to the 1990 mainshaft and use the newer splined clutch.
not concerned about making big power , or putting big $$ into it. just had it apart for belt change as said. had the collar sitting around .

hogpipes1

Quote from: rageglide on October 18, 2015, 08:08:10 PM
Why not use the steel clutch hub?  HD ditched the aluminum split prone (and weak spring tower) hubs in late 80's and updated their part.  Sold it as a replacement.  I thought most of the aftermarket versions were steel.

It is a  stock steel  center hub. the alum is the other half of the hub.

hogpipes1

Quote from: Mark222 on October 18, 2015, 07:25:33 PM
Where does one find this collar?  Part #?

I have an 85 that could use this enhancement next time i am in there.

Mark

Got it from indy shop couple yrs back .oem 37500-84a with a 1.365 OD Sleeve   custom  chrome# 15060 , and # 15601 for 1.377 sleeve.. h-d uses  same part # for both size hubs .

86fxwg

Quote from: 1FSTRK on October 18, 2015, 06:46:25 PM
The collars help, I would definitely use it.
:agree: my 86 has had one for 100000 miles. Dremil & split it if EVER u need to remove it.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx