May 08, 2024, 05:15:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1985 fxef shift lever

Started by johnchev89, October 18, 2015, 06:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnchev89

Picked up this 85 fxef. Has forward controls with a good bit of slop in the shifter
Do I need to pull the inner primary to change the lever bushings..

Mark222

The slop is likely in the "scissor" type linkage used on these models.  IIRC you can remove, replace this without removing the inner primary.

Stock FXEF did not have forward controls, so only bushings would be at the foot shifter shaft.

the trans shifter in the trans itself is one rod that the linkage bolts to after the scissor piece.

I have a PM and Service manual for this model if you have a specific need.

Mark

rageglide

October 18, 2015, 09:39:29 PM #2 Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:48:03 PM by rageglide
just deleted my first post cuz I was thinking it was possible 5 speed...

4 speed as noted is a rube goldburg set up.   I think Rivera sells a new bell crank.  It's not much better than the original from slop perspective, but it at least stays crappy for a longer time.

Here ya go:   cal products.
http://www.riveraprimoinc.com/html/cal-products.html

Old Crow

My wife's FXEF had forwards on it already when she got it.  The shifter relay crap was worn out.
After a few years she wanted to change some stuff up on the bike.  I got a set of foot boards off a Fatboy, bolted them to the frame and went to work on the linkage.  First, I removed the worn out relay rod and threw it aside.  Then I took the short lever that attaches to the actual shifter shaft, cut it almost in half with a die grinder, bent it almost 45 degrees, fabbed a little wedge shaped piece of steel to fit in the cut and welded the whole thing back together.  I then used one of the rods from the old forwards to hook from the heel/toe shifter to my newly modified lever.  It all works pretty good.  Nice and tight, no excess slop.
The shift throw is a bit short, though, making it a bit difficult to find neutral when stopped.  I'm thinking of actually lengthening the modified lever to gain a bit of mechanical advantage back.  One of these days. 
Hard to pull her bike down to "fix" something she doesn't see as broken.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

johnchev89

October 20, 2015, 05:48:17 PM #4 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:56:58 PM by johnchev89
I tried to remove the bolt for that shift lever and it b
ottomed against the inner primary.  I picked up a new bushing for it
Gonna tinker some more with it.  Has been a learning experience for sure.

Mark. I had picked up a service manual bit it is not very clear on the shift mechanism.

I still have a ton of work to do on it.  Next up will be replacing the fork tubes.