Drilling, lightening alternator rotor

Started by rwpete, October 19, 2015, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwpete

Anyone have specific knowledge of this procedure ?
Seems like the Harley (boat anchor) rotor could be lightened significantly ?

Racepres

If yer racin...remove it to see what it does for you...Or trade me for one without magnets in it...LOL..It is a bit lighter...

strokerjlk

Seen one spin off the hub last weekend .
Paul Vicory's bagger . He heard a noise coming from the primary .
I got to his pit right after he took the inspection cover off .he poked around on the primary chain a little , then started it up , the rotor wasn't spinning .
Took the compensator off and pulled the rotor right over the splined hub.
He didn't even need a spacer , he just left the hub on and bolted it back together, without the rotor .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Nowhereman

Yeah it acts like a flywheel.
What I would do is get my hands on the CAD drawing and just change the material.
Maybe a 7075 aluminum w/ integrated steel collar, stronger magnet material with less magnets?
Would be Hella lot lighter, dissipate heat better.
Someone must of tried it and failed or just that like most things, follow the leader.
To me, any weight I can take off of the crank shaft is a good thing.
Sometime ago I did a clutch job on my WS6.
I went to a nice Mcleod unit over stock but I didn't stop there.
I picked up a super light weight steel flywheel that shed 20 pound off of the stock set up.
I also installed a Tick master cylinder to go along with the now easy high rpm shifts.
Thing is, it wasn't any harder to drive with the exception you couldn't lug it in traffic anymore.
Acceleration and deceleration is phenomenal compared to the stock set up.
Rotating weight reduction based on application is a good thing.
- From Nowhere in particular

dr evo1

sportsman classes require a working charging sys. pro classes don't. the little bit of weight you would remove won't make any difference. it would be rotating weight. remove mass weight.

dr evo1

what model bike are we talking about. or is this just a thought. there are a lot of lite racing parts out there.

strokerjlk

Quote from: dr evo1 on October 22, 2015, 12:42:30 PM
sportsman classes require a working charging sys. pro classes don't. the little bit of weight you would remove won't make any difference. it would be rotating weight. remove mass weight.
sportsman class's in AMRA doesn't require charging systems.
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory