April 28, 2024, 06:22:50 AM

News:

Easy find, Easy fix, Pretty stupid

Started by 04customking, April 03, 2009, 11:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

04customking

I didn't have to look far for my grinding problem. The pics will show it. There is almost no room between the pressure plate and the outer derby when the clutch is disengaged. As you'll see, the "short" screws I used to put the derby cover on with were too long. All's fine with the bike just sitting  and running but when the bike is moving and you pull in the clutch, guess what. So, here's the embarassing pics to show the problem. Just have to clean up and get 1/8" shorted screws. The pic with the derby on and the screw in are the ones I was using. That's too long. Don't laugh, I have feelings ya know.

Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

ricochet

Wow!  That is pretty close.  Who'd a thunk it?  Well, at lease nothing's permanently damaged and you'll probably pick up a ten percent horsepower increase.

Good find,

ricochet

Little Al

glad it turned out to be a simple fix.

now since you've beat me, the only thing that will make me feel better about it is your long detailed thread Sunday night describing your weekend of riding your '54!

now get out and ride!
Little Al

04customking

That's funny Al, but the bike isn't registered or insured yet so I think the weekend ride is out. I did just try it and what a nice difference. I am one happy camper right now. There just happens to be a JD green bottle sitting on my counter that needs some attention. Time to celebrate. The drinking lamp is lit.

chris haynes

Perhaps they wouldn't stick through if you used the thick cork gasket as original.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

bikerider58

since you are running the belt primary, are the tins for the look?

I went from no derby cover, to no outer, to no tins (fully open with no guard), and now have an upper guard.

04customking

I guess I wasn't aware that there was a thicker gasket, but since I'm not trying to keep oil in then it was easier to cut the screws down than to get another gasket. Good idea though if I had one.
I've never wanted it to be an open belt drive. I like the looks of both but like the cover more. Easy choice for me.

CraigArizona85248

Jim,

How are you venting your cover?  You want to get plenty of fresh air to your belt drive during the hot months.  I vent mine by spacing the outer tin about 1/4" away from the inner tin.  This allows a nice flow of fresh air.  It would also give you a little extra space for those screws without needing to trim them.

-Craig

blackbob570

04 customking, is that a Primo pro clutch PC 1000a you have installed there? Looks very nice, was it easy to install, whats the clutch pull like?

chris haynes

Quote from: 04customking on April 08, 2009, 10:18:22 AM
I guess I wasn't aware that there was a thicker gasket, but since I'm not trying to keep oil in then it was easier to cut the screws down than to get another gasket. Good idea though if I had one.
I've never wanted it to be an open belt drive. I like the looks of both but like the cover more. Easy choice for me.

The gasket goes between the derby cover and the primary.
NRA Member
Costco Member

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: chris haynes on April 08, 2009, 03:37:55 PM
Quote from: 04customking on April 08, 2009, 10:18:22 AM

The gasket goes between the derby cover and the primary.

In his photo above there already is a cork gasket between the derby cover and the primary.  Is there a thicker gasket available?

-Craig

04customking

Craig, the venting IS something I am sure I need to add more of. I'm sure it won't be as much of a heat problem as yours is and the amount of driving you do with yours but still I need to do more. I may do what you did, that would be the easiest. I'm still mulling over the new chain I want to get. The one that is on the bike now measures .800" across the pins, the widest point. I do not have much room at all now to the inner primary. You can see in the pic. I understand the o ring chains are 1.000" or a few thou. more wide. Now way I have room for another .100" on theat side. Not sure what do do about that yet. I just want to get this sucker out on the road.
Blackbob570, yes it's the Primo pro clutch. I have the mousetrap hooked up and it works fine and smooth. I don't have the trap set up perfect yet to my liking so it kind of grabs quicker than I want when starting out. A few spring adjustments on the trap should fix it. Clutch seems very nice and couldn't have been any easier to install.

CraigArizona85248

Jim,

I just went out to the garage and measured my Tsubaki 530 Sigma chain... it's 0.990" from end-to-end of the rivets.  So your understanding that o-ring chains are 1.000" is right on the mark.

One of the things I did to make more room for the o-ring chain... I put small washers between the tabs on the rear of the inner tin and their mount points on the frame and oil tank.  This moved the inner tin out-board just enough so the chain wouldn't rub on it.  You need a little bit of extra space because the chain will wiggle around side-to-side just a bit as you ride.  I also run the clip on the master link to the inside.

-Craig

Speeding Big Twin

My 1926--1939 H-D parts catalog shows the Knucklehead clutch cover cork gasket started life as #3810-36A (for #3810-36 see below) and that PN was also used for the U-series Flatheads which were first introduced for 1937. The same gasket number appears in my 1937--1949 catalog and was again used for Knuckleheads and U-series Flatheads, along with Panheads. The H-D PN cross index dated 10 August 1951 shows that #3810-36A became #60565-36. My 1941--1984, 1949--1957, 1958--1968 and 1961--1971 H-D catalogs all list clutch cover gasket #60565-36 and it was used through 1964. I have no other listing for that gasket and I have no similar gasket listed.

It's possible not all derby gaskets are the same thickness but the partial picture below from page 458 of Palmer's book appears to show the derby sitting very close to the outer primary. And the same applies to other BT pictures in his book, as well as my Panhead.

The clutch adjusting (derby) cover (black) began as #3810-36, later becoming #60555-36 and it was available for use through 1964. Derby cover screws are usually 1/8" shorter than chain inspection cover screws but I had to trim a couple of mine after they nicked the ribs on the stock H-D Panhead releasing disc.     Eric

chris haynes

You may want to give the mounting tabs on your reproduction inner primary cover a little tweak to the right. This will move the cover away from the chain and give more clearance between the screws and the clutch pack.
NRA Member
Costco Member