April 27, 2024, 12:14:53 PM

News:

It was fun while it lasted.

Started by jam65, October 22, 2015, 06:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam65

October 22, 2015, 06:53:50 PM Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:57:52 PM by jam65
I changed gearing to pull through the trap at a higher RPM. This caused my bike to run out first gear farther than I was comfortable with. I had better mph trap speed but at the cost of a stable launch. More work on the riders part.
Best on the day was 10.94. Best mph was 132. I will be installing a shift light in the near future and work on my clutch settings.

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

2006FXDCI

Great runs Jay ! Can you tell me what RPM you are launching at ?
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

strokerjlk

try a 2nd gear launch ,before ya re -gear
nice pass  :up:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

jam65

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on October 23, 2015, 03:57:33 AM
Sorry, I can't tell you. It was just a "best feel" with my bike. Maybe too high of an RPM. And to Jim, 2nd gear would kill this thing off the line. Taller gearing since you rode it as I wanted to get away from the quick 1,2 shift.

strokerjlk

Quote from: jam65 on October 23, 2015, 05:41:25 PM
Quote from: 2006FXDCI on October 23, 2015, 03:57:33 AM
Sorry, I can't tell you. It was just a "best feel" with my bike. Maybe too high of an RPM. And to Jim, 2nd gear would kill this thing off the line. Taller gearing since you rode it as I wanted to get away from the quick 1,2 shift.
QuoteI changed gearing to pull through the trap at a higher RPM. This caused my bike to run out first gear farther than I was comfortable with.
i guess i am confused with this statement then.
changing the gear to run higher rpm through the trap ,would mean a lower gear ratio.
running out farther in 1st would mean a higher gear ratio.
what is your final ratio now?  it was 2.93 IIRC. I though you added the 49 tooth gear to the primary and was around 3.12 now.

HighLiner

Quote from: strokerjlk on October 23, 2015, 04:24:39 AM

At what rpm?  Just a starting point for reference.

strokerjlk

Quote from: HighLiner on October 23, 2015, 06:45:16 PM
Quote from: strokerjlk on October 23, 2015, 04:24:39 AM

At what rpm?  Just a starting point for reference.
you would increase the rpm's from where he was at in 1st ,if launching in 2nd.
4000-4500 would be a good start.
if he doesn't have the gear for it it wont work. ...i though he went lower in gear ratio

pwmorris

Cool Jay!
This is some big mph...that is big horsepower.
Are you going thru the traps in your 1:1 gear at top rpm?
It's all clutch, launch, rear tire and more seat time now.
Plus, maybe a shift kill set up...(if you don't have one already)-

You are onto something good there!

jam65

Sorry Jim, I am the one that is confused and tired with long work weeks during harvest. I am at: engine 30
                                                                                                                                            clutch  49
                                                                                                                                             trans  25
                                                                                                                                             rear    48
Next time out I will try launching in 2nd. I needed to adjust my clutch lever to engage closer to the handlebar. I had it adjusted for street use way out in the other direction using a slight pull to shift gears as needed.
Small hands and having the clutch engaged at the end of lever travel was my error. I might have had better results and control with the clutch starting to grab just as the lever was coming off of the handlebar.

Wicked

Quote from: jam65 on October 24, 2015, 04:41:18 PM

Small hands and having the clutch engaged at the end of lever travel was my error. I might have had better results and control with the clutch starting to grab just as the lever was coming off of the handlebar.
Or a "2 step".....
Paul

strokerjlk

Quote from: jam65 on October 24, 2015, 04:41:18 PM
Sorry Jim, I am the one that is confused and tired with long work weeks during harvest. I am at: engine 30
                                                                                                                                            clutch  49
                                                                                                                                             trans  25
                                                                                                                                             rear    48
Next time out I will try launching in 2nd. I needed to adjust my clutch lever to engage closer to the handlebar. I had it adjusted for street use way out in the other direction using a slight pull to shift gears as needed.
3.13 final ratio and 132 mph is 6450 rpms through the traps in 5 th  :up:
might be a little to high a gear to launch in 2 nd. but ya might be light enough ,to pull it off.

jam65

I know first gear will run out of steam and bring the front end back down, I just need to wait for it and not panic. Pogo front suspension needs some attention as well because second gear brings the front end up as well just as first gear settles the front end down. Not as bad though and I drive right through it most of the time.
My 1.65 60' last year had a great transition from first to second... wheelie, land, wheelie and run it out from there. This stuff is mind consuming and fun but with a little frustration.

strokerjlk

Quote from: jam65 on October 24, 2015, 06:20:35 PM
I know first gear will run out of steam and bring the front end back down, I just need to wait for it and not panic. Pogo front suspension needs some attention as well because second gear brings the front end up as well just as first gear settles the front end down. Not as bad though and I drive right through it most of the time.
My 1.65 60' last year had a great transition from first to second... wheelie, land, wheelie and run it out from there. This stuff is mind consuming and fun but with a little frustration.
If your able to go WOT now in 1st . Keep what ya have and learn the feel .

jam65

pwmorris